OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.308 recoil

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yotecaller1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .308 recoil
    Posted: July/27/2006 at 12:25

Never had a chance to shoot a 308, what is the recoil comparable to?  Muzzle jump bad, I am seriously looking at buying a rifle in that caliber in the near future.

Thanks all

Yotecaller1

Anthony View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2006 at 12:52

It depends on the weight of the rifle and the shooting position you are in. My .308 has barely any felt recoil and the target never leaves my 10x scopes FOV at 100 yards. however it weighs about 18 lbs. It used to weigh only 10 lbs. and the recoil then was little tougher than a 12ga 2 3/4" #8 target load. In both cases and even with a light rifle I believe that I could shoot it all day without loosing my shoulder.

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2006 at 16:54
  YMMV there are all sort of guns in .308.  There are all sort of loads. The stock fit and your body weight will also influnce what you feel. I start to notice when I use 180 grain stuff rather my normal 150 grain.  I have vanilla "deer" rifle with a classic straight stock that weighs around eight pounds with everything; that feels like my 20 ga single. 
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2006 at 03:26

Recoil with the Browning BLR .308 (older model - steel receiver) and 150 grain Winchester loads wasn't even a factor.  It was a pleasure to shoot.  Other thoughts:

1.  Gun fit has a lot to do with how the recoil hits you.  Try the rifle first, if you can.  People at shooting ranges are usually pretty friendly, and may let you try a shot or two.

2.  A straight stock can help.  I had the stock on my 12 gauge straightened a little to move the point of impact up where I wanted it.  There was a noticeable decrease in the amount of recoil.

3.  A good Pachmayr decelerator recoil pad makes a world of difference.  I put one on all of my shotguns and big game rifles.  You can adjust the length of pull to fit you when you have this done.  (Be sure to check it with the clothes you will wear when hunting or shooting.)  

huntsman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2006 at 17:02

I agree with the people above me on fit and recoil pad etc. I hunt with a .308 Remington 700 with R3 recoil pad (limb saver) and it is great with PMC 150grn ammo. I could shoot with it all day. IMO it is a much better round than 30-06 which you people in the USA love so much (I hope that doesn’t upset any one) In fact here in nz it is our top selling cal then 270 then 7mm08.

Garrand View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garrand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2006 at 06:37
Originally posted by huntsman huntsman wrote:

I agree with the people above me on fit and recoil pad etc. I hunt with a .308 Remington 700 with R3 recoil pad (limb saver) and it is great with PMC 150grn ammo. I could shoot with it all day. IMO it is a much better round than 30-06 which you people in the USA love so much

Now you have done it!   The reason folks prefer the 30-06 is that from 0-800 yards, the balistic tables are about the same.
From 800-1200 yards, the 30-06 has a flatter flight path, and will reach out and touch someone, er something where the 308 peters out.

I use 175gr HPBT, and my powder load is about 1.5 grain under max for my rifle. I lightened the heck out of it, so it kicks like a mule.

As far as the best reason to use 308 over 30-06 is availability. The 308 is still a current round. SO you can find it all over the place. Quality 30-06 rounds are hand made or special ordered.

As far the original post. The weight of the rifle determines the recoil. A fully wooded M14 will kick a lot less than a plastic stocked 700, yet in will weight more,  and the 700 you can run way hotter rounder in.
Islamofacists are nothing but Chicken shi'ites
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic