OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Bushnell Tactical 3-12x vs Weaver Tactical 3-15x?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bushnell Tactical 3-12x vs Weaver Tactical 3-15x?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will_Power Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bushnell Tactical 3-12x vs Weaver Tactical 3-15x?
    Posted: August/02/2015 at 20:34
Hi all,

Been lurking for a while now and finally signed up to get some advice on a scope purchase.

Looking to upgrade the optics on my 20" precision AR (currently in plain Jane .223 Wylde, but considering an eventual 6.5G upper once my marksmanship warrants it) for a mix of coyote hunting and target shooting and classes. No competitions at the moment.

I currently have the Primary Arms 4-14x and have settled on these two based on my following criteria:

1. 2-3x low end (for hunting)
  2. 12-15x upper end (for target shooting)
  3. 30mm tube
  4. ffp, mil/mil, exposed turrets
  5. Basic mil dot reticle is fine
  6. Illuminated
  7. $700-$900 price range

I'd appreciate any feedback on your experiences with these two models:

Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12x44mm
ET3124F (Illuminated Mil-Dot), ET3124FJ (Illuminated BTR-Mil)

Weaver Tactical 3-15x50mm
800363 (Illuminated EMDR)

Here's an Evernote file I've put together with a comparison of the two scopes in detail so you don't have to go scrounging up everything:

Right now, I'd like to get the Weaver - it has more features (e.g. return to zero turrets, lockable turrets, higher end mag), but I've run into a number of reports online of people having issues with theirs and that Weaver customer service is lacking.

Since I have yet to run into with anyone complaining about the Bushnell or that company's customer service, I'll likely go that direction unless things have changed in the last 2-3 years with Weaver.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2015 at 09:56
I would skip both and find a deal on an LRHS 3-12.
Outstanding scope.
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Will_Power View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will_Power Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2015 at 09:57
Originally posted by ccoker ccoker wrote:

Outstanding scope.

I am becoming increasingly convinced that at every price point, you'll have folks saying your options all suck and the only scopes worth having are several hundred dollars more.

Forget about your $1000 scope; the only ones worth having are these $1200 models.

Your $1500 scope? It sucks; look at the $2k models.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2015 at 10:31
Originally posted by ccoker ccoker wrote:

Outstanding scope.

^^^ This. BTW, welcome to the OT forums. Charles' opinions (as well as some other top flight fellows here) carry some weight and are, at the very least, worth investigating. That said, your comments are not without merit either. In the end, it's your $ and your decision! Good luck.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
saltydog235 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltydog235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2015 at 11:04
I had the Weaver 3X15X50 Tactical with the Illuminated EMDR reticle.  The scope was clear and well built for the money I had in it, I paid about $675.00.  Optically it wasn't bad at all, not great.  The drawbacks to me were the illumination and turrets.  The illumination was the entire reticle, whether on green or red, at the lowest setting it was too much for hunting applications.  It was impossible to see the game in the background and the reticle was thin so, you couldn't see it either in the falling light.  The turrets were mushy, zero was repeatable but the adjustments were not as positive as I like.  It was pretty good for a cheaper scope on the range though, again not great.  Were I considering shooting a good bit at the range, it wouldn't be my first choice.

No experience with the Bushnell you are looking at.  I have a 4200 on one of my rifles and it's a darn good hunting scope, not much for range work though.
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2015 at 11:04
What about Burris xtr ii....3-15 can be found for 879 and have swfa match, plus free rings or 100 rebate. Has zero stop too...lots of adjustment in that 3-15 as well, 34 mm tube

Edited by JLud - August/04/2015 at 11:18
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2015 at 17:08
Will, only thing I am trying to do is save you some money down the road.
A lot of "tactical" scopes don't work so well in hunting conditions.
Reticle is too lit up for low light or in an FFP it is too small/fine at low magnification.

That LHRS will compete with scopes costing twice as much and is about perfect for a relatively lightweight FFP hunting scope.  They really did their homework on it.  Me and a buddy both thought it outperformed a Nightforce 2.5-10x42 in low light.  That was hard for me to admit.

Edited by ccoker - August/04/2015 at 17:37
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

verminator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2015 at 03:20
which nightforce was that..this post is interesting http://forum.snipershide.info/showthread.php?t=251093  the weaver is hard to beat at its price point

Edited by verminator - August/05/2015 at 03:41
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic