OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Digiscope Adapters for Zen Ray ED2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Digiscope Adapters for Zen Ray ED2
    Posted: August/13/2015 at 10:35
Looking for an adapter for my Zen Ray ED2 for my iPhone 6.  Primary purpose is to use it at the range.

Appreciate any recommendations on an appropriate adapter.  I've read comments on Phone Skope, but they don't have a standard model that works with the Zen Ray.  I have a question in to them asking for their recommendation.

I am also aware of Carson's HookUpZ Universal adapter but it doesn't seem as secure as I would like.

I see that Swarovski, Kowa, Meopta and others have specific adapters for their spotting scopes, but doubt they are compatible with my ED2.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2015 at 11:02
Saw this post:

Originally posted by castlebravo castlebravo wrote:

Reply from Zen-Ray:

Thanks for contacting us.  The ZEN ED2 spotting scope is compatible with most of the Swarovski eyepieces. It is not compatible with astronomical eyepiece since those eyepieces are not optimized to work with spotting scope for daylight use.

We will also introduce 30x wide angle eyepiece in the future

Thanks

Perhaps the Swarovski adapters will work.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2015 at 13:34
Zen-Ray answered my questions.  The Swarovsi AP-i6 adapter will work with the ED2.

Still curious on others' recommendations on the Phone Skope, iSpotter or Carson's HookUp ... etc.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2015 at 13:58
I use Phone Skope with my Zen-Ray ED2 and it works quite well.

ILya

Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2015 at 14:47
Thanks Ilya.  Did you have to go the custom route or pick the appropriate Swarovski spotter?  They don't list Zen Ray as one of the options and they have multiple Swarovski options.

Feedback from the Phone Skope folks is to provide the three measurements and assume you did the same.

Mike
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2015 at 15:25
I primarily use their universal adaptor since I also use it when I test different spotters.

However, I do recall measuring the eyepiece of the ED2 and matching it to one of the Swarovski adaptors.  That would likely be a more secure fit than the universal, but it works for my purposes.

ILya
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2015 at 15:27
Perfect.  I'll do some measuring and adjust from there.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2015 at 16:29
I have the Carson... it's ok but not great.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2015 at 19:18
Carson looks like and interesting concept but would probably want to zip tie it to the scope.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2015 at 08:24
According to Swarovski, the PA-i6 won't work with the Zen Ray ED2 but at $199 list, doubt it was a contender anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic