OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for a 7mm Ultra Mag

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTingles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for a 7mm Ultra Mag
    Posted: July/30/2006 at 08:23

Ok boys.  I need your help!  I have a beautiful Remington model 700 BDL 7mm Ultra Mag that I druel over everyday.  The only problem is I can't decide what scope to put on it for white tail hunting in western PA.  I have looked at Leupold, Swarovski, Kahles, and am going to look at some Zeis later. 

Here's what's important to me...  Bright glass.  I think the german glass is much brighter, and the leupold's look more yellowish overall. Due to PA game commision laws, I hunt in a location where I have to have atleast 4 up on one side to shoot. And sometimes, i have to figure this out at distances that range between 50 yards on up to 350 yards on a regular basis.  I have slayed many deer with my 270 and a Leupold 3x9 scope over the years, and don't want to give up too much on the low end of the magnification.  However, since PA has antler restriction laws now, I want the best of both worlds and I want to be able to zoom in tight on a rack at 300 yards to count points if i need too.  I want to keep my cheek weld as low as possible, but I don't mind using a 50mm objective lense and being up a little higher if need be.

What are your thoughts between the following scopes...

Kahles CL 4-12 x 52

Swarovski 4-12 x 50

Swarovski 4-16 x 50

Zeis 4.5-14 x 50 conquest

Leupold XL-V 41/2-14x56

ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2006 at 09:04

Welcome to the forum!

I've been in your exact situation before.  I'd say that the priorities you mention in a scope are/were identical to mine.  Here's my $.02 based on the decision I made and how it turned out.

If I were you, I'd quit shopping scopes & just buy the Kahles CL 4x12 52mm without the multizero feature.  It sounds like you really don't need it (multizero) so there's no sense in spending the additional $100 to get it.  I own that exact scope along with a Zeiss Diavari 3x12 56mm and a new 35mm IOR 6x24 50mm.  Side-by-side comparisons with the Zeiss really surprised me (I posted a review about 2 wks ago; the post title is "Zeiss vs. Kahles vs. IOR").  The Kahles CL is pretty much neck & neck with the Zeiss and gives almost the same shooting time in a hunting situation.  On top of that, it is priced about $500 LESS than the Zeiss.  In my opinion, it is the best 1" scope in the world (the one inch feature being nice when scope weight is considered on a hunting rifle).  I actually sold 2 Burris and 1 Leupold to be able to afford the Kahles and I couldn't be happier with the results.

If I were to rate the other scopes you listed, I'd say the Swarovski's are just a notch under the CL in brightness & clarity but still outstanding in their own right.  Optically, I think that the Zeiss Conquest is better than the Leupold you listed.  However, many have expressed durabilty concerns with the Conquest (I have no personal experience here, I'm just going on info garnered from this website) and since you'll be mounting the scope on a 7mm UltraMag, I might rate the Leupold higher.  Of note, the price you pay for the VX-L is absurd.  The optics are "decent to good" and I believe the crescent-shape cut in the front objective is a ridiculous feature.  Just my opinion...

Best of luck to you & let us know what you decide.  I'm sure others will weigh in here.  You've come to the right place for scope info as there are many here who have forgotten more about rifle scopes that I know on a good day!

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2006 at 12:58

How about a U.S. Optics SN3   3.3-17x  since it doesn't look like price is scaring you off from the scopes listed.

Given that you MUST be correct as to how many points - you either need to be close, or have enough magnification to make the right choice.

You might also want to look at Nikon Monarch 5.5-16.5x44 with BDC,  which may well be the perfect scope for your application at a fraction of the price of US Optics or similar power Nightforce and the foreign tubes.

Quite frankly you need to be in that 14x to 20x max range and 12x is not enough.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2006 at 20:05

Kahles CL outperforms in every way all the scopes listed.

It is also a great value. Exellent advice from Ceylonc.

MrTingles View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTingles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2006 at 09:23

Well, It's been a while... But i wanted to do a follow up and let you all know that I ended up going with a Kahles Helia CL 4-12 x 52 and Love it.

It worked out well for me this year and helped me fill my tag on a nice 8 point with an 18 1/2 inch spread. 

While hunting with my Dad, we saw another nice 8 point.  As we both looked at the rack we noticed both of his eye guards were broken off.  With PA's antler restriction... most people would pass on that deer.  However... I was able to see 2 little stickers growing out of the base of his rack below his eye guards that were both atleast 1 inch long, and that was at about 230 yards or so.  I just cranked it up to 12 power and kept looking at his head and there they were.  He couldn't see them, but I could.  He uses a Leupold VX-III 4.5-14 x 50.  I was able to tell him that it was legal.  Otherwise, he would have passed on the buck.

I love my Kahles scope, and I highly recommend it to anyone!  Thank you guys for your input and helping me make the right choice for my situation.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2006 at 11:58
Nice, I got an 11 point with a musket topped by a 3-9 Nikon Omega and my big deer a 13 point I took with a Hoyt Pro Tec  Bow.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2006 at 16:50

Welcome to The OT, Mr T.!!

Congrats on a fine optics purchase and the timely demise of a nice deer.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2006 at 14:22
Originally posted by MrTingles MrTingles wrote:

Well, It's been a while... But i wanted to do a follow up and let you all know that I ended up going with a Kahles Helia CL 4-12 x 52 and Love it.

It worked out well for me this year and helped me fill my tag on a nice 8 point with an 18 1/2 inch spread. 

While hunting with my Dad, we saw another nice 8 point.  As we both looked at the rack we noticed both of his eye guards were broken off.  With PA's antler restriction... most people would pass on that deer.  However... I was able to see 2 little stickers growing out of the base of his rack below his eye guards that were both atleast 1 inch long, and that was at about 230 yards or so.  I just cranked it up to 12 power and kept looking at his head and there they were.  He couldn't see them, but I could.  He uses a Leupold VX-III 4.5-14 x 50.  I was able to tell him that it was legal.  Otherwise, he would have passed on the buck.

I love my Kahles scope, and I highly recommend it to anyone!  Thank you guys for your input and helping me make the right choice for my situation.

Great to hear MrTingles, best of luck on your next hunt.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic