OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Remington 870

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remington 870
    Posted: August/31/2015 at 11:20
Does anyone in here have any knowledge about the Remington 870?
Im thinking of buying a pump gun, but im pretty lost in that area, and very much in doubt.
Just whish to have a new gun in the cabinet. I'll probarbly not be using much for hunting, more for fun and games shooting.
Others one im looking at is The Winchester 1300, and then i was presented for a very cheap Turkish Akkar Karatay.
The Akkar is half the price of the two others, but no doubt its not same quality. Again its just a for fun gun.
Let me hear your opinion.
Savage 93 17.HMR. Tikka Tac A1 308 Blaser R8 6,5-55 / 30-06. Beretta Silver Pigeon. Comming up-TIKKATAC A1 22LR

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2015 at 11:33
I have on old 870 that my dad got when he was 12.  He is 66 now.  I don't know how many thousands I have put through it and I have no idea how many he has shot.  All I know is it always works, and has always worked well.  870 is a well made shotgun that has had a ton of use of the many years it has been in production.  If you just want a simple pump at a decent price point it is one of the good options available. 

Mossberg 500 is also a decent priced pump gun that is very popular.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2015 at 12:13
I was looking at a Mossberg ( didn't get the model#) but over here they are allmost the same price as the Remington / Winchester. 
I saw the Maverick 88 a little cheaper but not worth running for.

Savage 93 17.HMR. Tikka Tac A1 308 Blaser R8 6,5-55 / 30-06. Beretta Silver Pigeon. Comming up-TIKKATAC A1 22LR

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2015 at 12:25
The 500s here are quite a bit cheaper than the 870s.  I see mossbergs on gunbroker for 300 to 400.  Basic 870s are $500ish. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2015 at 13:27
870 I have a really old one and a new one. both perform flawlessly.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2015 at 14:58
This is a tough one for me. I love both. 

870 is a wonderful pump shot gun. No question. 

Being a lefty, I prefer the breach safety of the Mossberg 500 and I have one. My 500 has been great in all aspects. 

If you wish to enhance your shotgun, the 870 is probably better because of more aftermarket parts.      
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2015 at 16:11
I think the 870 is a great gun.  I prefer the old Winchester Model 12, but the Remington works fine.  I would also rather have an Ithaca 37 than a Remington.  But, just for fun, a Remington is a good choice.  

Visit the Ed Show
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2015 at 16:35
I have an 870, it is nothing fancy, and I would not hesitate to have it in hand were bad things coming my way.
They are well made, exceedingly reliable, and not prohibitively expensive.

I am not a huge Mossberg fan.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2015 at 16:51
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Why's that? 
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2015 at 02:33
I have put over 70,000 rounds through my 20 gauge Remington 870, and qualified distinguished expert at skeet with it.  My 12 gauge is also an 870.  Both are Wingmasters, which are the prettier versions of the 870.

I called Remington to ask if any parts might be wearing out.  They replied that I might have to replace an occasional firing pin or extractor (and I have replaced one of each) but that nothing else would wear out.

What more could you ask of a shotgun?

I've had top-drawer over/unders and automatics, and have shot a fine side-by-side.  My pick of them all for trouble-free operation, easy cleaning, and versatility is the Remington 870 with choke tubes. 

Get a version that feels good to you, works well, and that you think is pretty.  It will last you the rest of your life.

Two other tips:
1.  Once you're familiar with it and have learned how to shoot it, add a good Pachmayr Decelerator pad and have with the stock cut to the right length for you.  (In cold winters, for example, your hunting clothes can add 1/4" to your actual pull length.)

2.  Don't beat yourself to death with heavy loads.  A good 1 ounce load will handle most upland birds as far as most people can hit them.  A good 7/8 ounce load will break 25 on any skeet field. Trap shooters have also learned to use these light loads for all but the longer handicap ranges. (This would have saved a lot of older trap shooters some painful bursitis.)  Obviously, reloading is the best and cheapest way to do this.  A basic MEC reloader will do just fine.

The English developed the 12 gauge, but as I recall they only used  1 1/16 ounces of lead for most shooting. We didn't do ourselves any great favors when we increased that load to the point that 12 gauges hurt.

Ducks and geese are another matter.  You have to hit them hard with enough shot.  However, the quality of the load is more important than the weight of the shot.

Hope this helps!. 

urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2015 at 09:02
Fit and feel are most important with a shotgun. You should try different ones. Get the one that points closest to where you look when mounted.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2015 at 09:21
I don't own an 870, but I could disassemble and assemble one in the dark, and wouldn't hesitate to use one if I needed a shotgun. There's a reason it's been the most used shotgun by law enforcement.
That said, I shoot a trap game with some friends. There is a wide variety of shotguns used from cheap to expensive. It's the guys using the cheapest ones (Mossbergs) that win the most games.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2015 at 10:40
Mossberg's too have been used by military. Especially the 590A1's. 
I'm not humping their leg, (too much), I think the 870 is an outstanding shotgun in all regards, sans the quar location of the safety. IMHO. 

As Eddie indicated, the old Win model 12's and the Ithaca 37's are hard to beat too.  
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2015 at 11:20
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

It's the guys using the cheapest ones (Mossbergs) that win the most games.

The guy with one gun and knows how to use it.
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2015 at 11:24
Thank you all.
I have read your comments and made my decision from your advices. I just got back from my gunpusher with a new Remington 870 lefty under my arm.
It felt really good to handle, and the reloading feels great.
Ill post a picture when i can get away with it.
Thanks again guys.

Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2015 at 11:27
I have been looking for a used 870 and have been hearing that some models are not as good as others. Does anyone know about this? Or is it an old wife's tail? I want an 870 to send in to Wilson Combat for their Remington Steel package but keep the longer barrel.

http://wilsoncombat.com/new/shotgun-remington-steal.asp#.VeXRxn1koQ0

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2015 at 11:43
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Why's that? 

I had one long, long ago - and have used a few since.  They didn't feel as sturdy as an 870.  I think 870 is a steel receiver and Mossberg uses aluminum receivers.  I am not trying to start a flame war, but just always liked the feel of the 870 more, it seemed more substantial, which is a good thing with a 12-gauge shooting 00 buck.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2015 at 11:47

Purpose becomes a big part of this conversation.   I don't shoot competitively - at least not in the traditional sense.  But I do know that the rules governing competition guns (and the circumstances of their use) differ wildly from the rules that govern my defensive-use guns.  Likewise, I treat my hunting guns different than my "life and death" guns - my life and my death, that is.

I don't recall the exact reason for the shotgun, but purpose should play a big part in the choice.
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2015 at 11:55
Here's the new toy in town. WinkWinkWink

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2015 at 12:26

Purpose becomes a big part of this conversation.   I don't shoot competitively - at least not in the traditional sense.  But I do know that the rules governing competition guns (and the circumstances of their use) differ wildly from the rules that govern my defensive-use guns.  Likewise, I treat my hunting guns different than my "life and death" guns - my life and my death, that is.

I don't recall the exact reason for the shotgun, but purpose should play a big part in the choice.

Well the OP does want a shotgun for fun and games, and I don't think that includes life or death. However a good 870 (yes, there are some economy models that need work to be reliable) is hard to beat in the life or death category too.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic