OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leica 3.5-14x42 ER Rifle Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leica 3.5-14x42 ER Rifle Scope
    Posted: September/20/2015 at 22:07
I am not able to get height of adjustment high enough on this scope, I have it mounted on a Kimber classic 308, Tally 1 piece low rings. I have sent it back to Leica they say the scope is fine, the point of impact is 1 inch low at 100 yards and out of height adjustment. It has the #1 in it. Any way to fix this, I purchased the scope new from SWFA. Had a Kahles on the gun never had a problem.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2015 at 07:47
This type of problem most often caused by the rings. Did you change or remove the rings used with the Kahles?
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2015 at 08:38
If you are running out of scope adjustment travel, the problem is almost always with either the ring heights being off front to back, or the top of the rifle receiver being out of spec (rear bridge step height relative to front receiver ring), or the mount screws out of alignment front to back. Even removing and replacing the same rings on the same rifle can change this situation, because the screw holes in the ring bases have enough clearance with the screws to allow variations in alignment and there is no precision locating feature to force the mount bases to the exact same spot on the receiver. Even very minor misalignment can cause problems with using up too much scope adjustment to zero. All of those things puts the scope tube in a bind and moves the scope center line off parallel from bore axis. These are not uncommon issues at all with mass produced rifles and scope rings, which is why people lap and bed scope rings and why Burris and a couple others use the self-aligning ring inserts in some of their rings.

Turn your scope adjustments all the way in one direction, then turn all the way in the opposite direction and count the number of clicks. Then adjust back to center again, counting clicks to confirm the reticle is centered. Run a tracking test to confirm that your point of impact moves in perfect linear relation to your adjustment direction and at the correct amount relative to adjustment. Then try to zero the scope and count the number of clicks you use. If you use up the exact same number of clicks to get the reticle centered, you run out of adjustment, and it still isn't centered, the problem is definitely with the scope mount/rifle receiver, not the scope.

If you're using the exact same rings you used with the Kahles and you never removed and reinstalled the rings when you mounted the Leica, the Kahles may simply have had more W/E adjustment travel, which would mask the problem.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Blueboy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2015 at 09:54

I am using the same rings as with the kahles, I will pull it all off and try everything again, thanks guys. Will let you know the results.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2015 at 12:30
If I had read RifleDude's post and did not know him, I would be thinking that what he's saying can't be so. Well, low and behold, I experienced this myself for the first time in thirty years of mounting scopes with a Leica ER 2.5-10 x 42 on a Remington 700. I got a new set of Talley Signature bases and rings from SWFA recently and when I got the new set-up, I mounted the scope and had very little vertical movement available according to my Bushnell Collimater  (about 12 clicks) before it bottomed out. I took the rings and bases off to have them Black-T finished and when I got them back and remounted everything, for some strange reason, I have all the adjustment available to run the reticle off the grid on the collimater now.  I can't explain it.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2015 at 15:06
This is one of those concepts that's easy to demonstrate in person with rifle and mounts in hand, but damn difficult to describe in a post.

If you have mount bases that are radiused on the bottom, sitting on top of a receiver that is also radiused, this means that the bases can slide in either direction radially around the arc, and the only thing that arrests that radial movement is the mount screws. Screws are not precision locators and aren't intended to be; they merely fasten parts together. Since the inside diameters of the screw holes are larger than the screw outside diameters (out of necessity to allow the screws to easily slip through the holes), this means it's possible for the the base positions to be mounted either CW or CCW a bit off top dead center 12:00 position by 1/2 the difference between screw hole I.D. and screw O.D. If, for example, the front base is mounted slightly rotated CW a half degree and the rear base mounted slightly rotated CCW by a half degree, then the scope center line is out of parallel with the bore center line by 1deg. So, not only does your scope then have to consume a lot of internal adjustment just to compensate for misalignment before it can begin to zero POI, but the mounts are bending the tube since the rings are not concentric to each other. Then consider that there are normal, allowable manufacturing tolerances on receiver radius, receiver taper, mount screw hole position, ring center line height. Then assemble all these parts together that were made by different manufacturers, and the tolerance stack-up means that the resulting mount assembly is seldom ever concentric front to back or parallel with bore center line.

Your scope must compensate for all the above accumulated variances. If these variances result in a significant tolerance stackup, a typical hunting scope without generous internal adjustment travel can sometimes consume all its internal adjustment without achieving zero.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2015 at 15:29
Ted you are the man.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2015 at 15:42
Originally posted by Peddler Peddler wrote:

Ted you are the man.

Yeah and he knows guns and looks real GOOD in a speedo to boot.....Bandito
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2015 at 15:47
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

and looks real GOOD in a speedo to boot.....Bandito

Yes he does.

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2015 at 16:18
OMG!!!

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2015 at 16:45
I wear Speedos a lot because Speedo is one of my sponsors, as you will soon see in my upcoming 2016 swimwear calendar. ST's post above gives you a sneak peek at the kind of white hot eye candy you can expect.
Ted

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2015 at 17:36
Like I said Rifle Dude is the " Bomb " watch for the calendar!!!

You rock Bro!

👀

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2015 at 17:39
Think I'm blinded after seeing that pic...................Big Grin
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2015 at 17:45
Roy I had to put my script sunglasses on but I have to say RD is still my hero!

😎😎😎

Blueboy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2015 at 18:06
I have purchased many scopes based on RifleDudes recommendations and have been very pleased with all.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2015 at 18:22
Good call Blueboy!

Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2015 at 21:33
Supertool,

Could you post a warning before you hang that pic again?
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2015 at 01:07
Really. Sage advise. NSFH ( Not Safe for Heterosexuals)
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2015 at 04:47
😎

Blueboy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2015 at 17:10
So I was tired of fooling with this scope, traded it today to SWFA for a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 P L hope I will be happy with this new scope. Anyone have one I would like to know how is it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic