OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Africa - 3rd Visit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REMF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Africa - 3rd Visit
    Posted: October/02/2015 at 07:47
So - my once in a lifetime trip has become an obsession.  I returned to RSA in August to hunt Leopard.  I was not successful, but we did have two cats on bait.  Damn, that is a smart animal.  In some areas, the cats liked to climb trees and eat - away from the brown hyena.  In areas without pests, the cats would just eat on the ground.  We even found a fresh blesbok kill.

Tool of choice: GAP Non-Typical in 300 Win Mag wearing the 1-4 SS HD with illuminated donut reticle (on loan from Rancid Coolaid).

I was, however, lucky enough to take some very challenging plains game trophies while we were running bait lines.

Klipspringer.

Cape Bushbuck.

Mountain Reedbuck.

Common Duiker.

Springbuck.  The giraffe were interested in what we were doing.

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2015 at 08:24
Green with envy! Thanks for sharing!
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2015 at 09:06
Good game selection… nice photos.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2015 at 09:13

I think Mike said it the best, Green with envy.

Congratulations on your trip. Excellent Looks like it was a great time!

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2015 at 09:36
You don't see many SS1-4 on 300WMs, but it works.  Especially as a night hunter.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2015 at 10:47
Thank you for sharing, That is a dream trip of mine.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2015 at 14:30
The closest I will ever get is to watch reruns of HATARI!
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2015 at 16:59
Awesome trip! Congratulations!

I'm also envious!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2015 at 17:15
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

The closest I will ever get is to watch reruns of HATARI!

Me tooooo. Thanks for sharing.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2015 at 17:25
Good venison, too!   
Visit the Ed Show
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2015 at 20:45
My favorite part is when Red Buttons fires the rocket net over the monkey tree.
Tell me about it again!
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2015 at 12:00
Excellent trip nice animals where were you hunting REMF?
Regards Chris
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2015 at 12:51
[QUOTE=REMF]So - my once in a lifetime trip has become an obsession.  I returned to RSA in August to hunt Leopard.  I was not successful, but we did have two cats on bait.  Damn, that is a smart animal.  In some areas, the cats liked to climb trees and eat - away from the brown hyena.  In areas without pests, the cats would just eat on the ground.  We even found a fresh blesbok kill.

Tool of choice: GAP Non-Typical in 300 Win Mag wearing the 1-4 SS HD with illuminated donut reticle (on loan from Rancid Coolaid).

In Africa they can keep a lot of game inside of a fence----except monkeys, baboons.....and Leopards!   

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2015 at 12:57
A friend of mine jack-lighted a leopard in Botswana a long time ago with a 22!  He shot him in the road in the headlight beam of his pick-up.  Shot him right above the eye.  I saw the hide.  A Monster hide.  Probably the Rowland Ward Record of all time....but, illegal as Hell......   

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2015 at 12:59
I had another friend in South Africa who said that if he had a 22 ( a 'Two-two' ), he would never buy meat ever again....

...........outlaws!   Bucky
Visit the Ed Show
REMF View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REMF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2015 at 00:22
Glock, I was in the Enselsberg Mountains of the Northwest Province - near Zeerust. Beautiful country.
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2015 at 01:23
Originally posted by REMF REMF wrote:

Glock, I was in the Enselsberg Mountains of the Northwest Province - near Zeerust. Beautiful country.

Yes is beautiful up there next time you come try Natal, if you want too see a different area.

I can highly recommend Zeekoepan Safaris, they are in the USA from January to March going to shows. Feel free to email them for info, this years price list is on there website so you can compare it to where you were.

www.hunting-safaris-africa.com/

Edited by Glock - October/05/2015 at 01:34
Regards Chris
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2015 at 01:40
Originally posted by Son of Ed Son of Ed wrote:

I had another friend in South Africa who said that if he had a 22 ( a 'Two-two' ), he would never buy meat ever again....

...........outlaws!   Bucky

I really don't want to shoot a leopard with a .22 rifle. But game animals if you can get close enough to them and place the shot properly no problem. I dispatched a wounded Gemsbuck with one, most cattle farmers here use one to dispatch cows on the farm. Single shot to the front off the head 😉
Regards Chris
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2015 at 05:33
In Africa they can keep a lot of game inside of a fence----except monkeys, baboons.....and Leopards!  
Unfortunately we also cannot keep a lot OUTSIDE of a fence .......They come through from Mozambique to poach Rhino in the Kruger Reserve etc
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2015 at 07:26
Unfortunately that is so true Wouter, like to park a few G6's in Kruger and sort them out.
Regards Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic