OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bow Season

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bow Season
    Posted: October/19/2015 at 17:00
This past weekend, I had the pleasure of accompanying a fellow OT member on a hunt of which I was quite pleased to attend.

I woke up very early on Saturday morning to embark on the drive towards west Texas near Eastland if you are familiar with the area.

As I pulled in, I notice DCAMM94's vehicle was gone and I texted him to let him know I was on the property.

He advised going to a blind I was vaguely familiar with the stand location. I started to drive back that way and then remembering how loud my truck was I decided to stop and walk it, not to disrupt DCAMM's hunt. Meanwhile walking back there I nocked an arrow because you never know what may walk out near you.

As I approached the stand, a fawn stands up and looks right at me. Scanning the area I couldn't see anything around him and I began to wonder why he was there by himself. He watched me climb in to the stand and then bedded back down.  Shortly after that, I notice off to my right a lonely doe walking in and she immediately looks my direction and spots me. Then the fawn stands up and they were out of there. BUSTED!

I then hooked up with DCAMM and we heading into deer camp and hung out for a while talking about football and hunting, making fun of my Matthews and such. It was like hunting with Big Daddy and Rifledude. But that is what deer camp is about. Hanging with those who you have fun with and can rib and make up for some good satire.

Later that night we made it out way back out to the stands and prepared for the evening hunt. As the sun lowered on the horizon below me, the wilderness always comes to life and take new shape on what darkness holds. In this case, the bumps during twilight happen to have been Armadillos making all sorts of racket just to the right of me, which I discarded, but none the less was difficult to escape because of his blatant disregard for my patients. 

Meanwhile the sun is getting lower and darkness is closing in on me quickly and I hear something in front of me now. Quickly jumping to the conclusion it perhaps was another armadillo I didn't get my hopes up, but much to my surprise it was a nice size boar.  This guy walks in the area, head on and proceeds to eat right in front of me....I know the audacity right?

In the meantime and not sure what the rules of the land owner were, I text DCAMM a pic asking what he thought about me taking this boar and his prompt reply of “SHOOT HIM!!!”

Needless to say, I was at full draw and then let down because he was moving around rustic dinner table only later to find a spot that he like, which was broadside to me. Going to full draw and aligning the pin, I let the arrow go and executed a perfect shot.

However the highlight of the day was Decker's cooking. While we were out and about or watching several college football games, I started a fire for Ribs and potatoes that He prepared and it smoked the better half of all day.

The next morning we were up early again and headed into the stands. Shortly after the sun peered over the horizon, I see a touch of movement over to my right.  It was three bucks. The lead buck was heavy bodied, but they hugged just in side of the tree line where the armadillo was in the photos above and not allowing good shot opportunity.  Watching them closely I saw they were moving around behind me and appeared to wanted to come into the feeder location.  Seemed like my prayer for back straps was answered. Until I noticed the lead deer come to an abrupt stop.

I shortly determined why the stopped and then bugged out.

The bacon squad arrived. The large in the middle presented another great shot opportunity which I capitalized on.

While I wanted to harvest a nice mature whitetail, it simply wasn't in the cards this trip. But when you look at the time I had and how fun it was hanging out, that greatly out weighs the wants. 

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2015 at 17:12
Very nice !

Good shooting.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2015 at 06:22
Nice... Man, I wish we had hogs like that on some of the places I hunt.

Friends don't let friends shoot Matthews..

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2015 at 07:38
Sounds like great fun Sky. Congrats on the bacon busting! Excellent
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2015 at 08:34
Thanks guys, really I owe a big thanks to Deck. Had he not invited me, I wouldn't have had nearly as much fun.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2015 at 09:32
Excellent
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2015 at 09:59
Very cool.

I got to hunt outside Laredo this weekend, my youngest son shot his first deer, which is very cool.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2015 at 10:10

That's awesome RC.  That's a tough area, a little dangerous too given what's going on down there.

Last time I was there was a couple weeks before I got married and I friend and I went across the river for Tequila and eggs.

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2015 at 16:55
Glad you didn't bring anything back Skylar.

😎
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2015 at 08:46

Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

Friends don't let friends shoot Matthews..

Lol, yet you let me go out into the wilderness with mine. Bucky

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic