OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

ss 6x42 at a distance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoopersb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ss 6x42 at a distance
    Posted: October/28/2015 at 11:42

I am new here and have a question about the 6 power Super Sniper scope.  I have not read one bad thing about the scope, but was just wondering if the fact that it is only a 6x, hurts small-target acquisition at 300+ yards? I like the idea of a fixed power scope, but have always had reservations about single-power at extended ranges for sight-in purposes and also shooting the small targets.  I have seen videos of the scope on larger targets such as steel, but not at targets like one would use to sight in etc.

I tried a search and came  up empty.

DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2015 at 12:08
Welcome to the forum, Hooper.  I don't have any specific experience with that scope but you have certainly come to the right place for information.  Great folks here.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
bcraig View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2015 at 18:05
Originally posted by hoopersb hoopersb wrote:

I am new here and have a question about the 6 power Super Sniper scope.  I have not read one bad thing about the scope, but was just wondering if the fact that it is only a 6x, hurts small-target acquisition at 300+ yards? I like the idea of a fixed power scope, but have always had reservations about single-power at extended ranges for sight-in purposes and also shooting the small targets.  I have seen videos of the scope on larger targets such as steel, but not at targets like one would use to sight in etc.

I tried a search and came  up empty.

Essentially shooting at 300 yards with a 6x scope is about the same as shooting at 50 yards with a non magnifying optic.as 300 divided by 6 equals 50.

You will have to decide if you can hit a 50 yard target and sight in with no Magnification as only you know the size of target you are talking about and know your eyesight.

If you have variable scopes just take one and set it on 6x and experiment with target acquisition and see what you feel comfortable with.

Keep in mind that a scope is not a binocular and just because a higher power will enable one to see a target in a larger image does not mean you can shoot more accurately on that target.

Hope this helps you

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2015 at 07:28
I used one to hit clay pigeons with at 300+ with no issues using that exact scope and a 17 HMR  
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
hoopersb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoopersb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2015 at 07:46
Thanks!  If what I read is correct, the quality/clarity of the glass makes up for some lack of magnification. 
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2015 at 07:54
There is no lack of magnification with a 6 X scope.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2015 at 09:37
The quality of the glass dictates whether or not you can do the 300 / 6 calculation discussed above.  In some cases, the proximity of the scope to your eye will make the image clearer than your naked eye at 50 yds.  As to your quality/clarity question - I was shooting this weekend with my SS 3-9x and my new Swaro Z3 3-9x36.  Same magnification range, obviously, but the Z3 made it appear that I was shooting a 16x compared to the SS.  

Don't get me wrong - the SS 3-9x42 is a GREAT scope, but the color, clarity, and sharpness of the image in the Z3 was unbelievably better as it relates to GLASS.  I have the SS for a reason (mil/mil, turrets, reticle, FFP), and the Z3 would not work as a substitute due to the features I need for the weapon that wears the SS.  A scope that does what the SS does with the quality of glass of the Swaro would probably cost 3 times what the SS costs, and the SS glass is better than my Vortex Viper glass, and on par with the older Zeiss Conquest scopes I have, IMO.  It's the age-old question of what features at what cost.  
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2015 at 10:00
Unless you're competitive benchrest shooting and aiming at bullet holes to try to get sub 1/4MOA groups or your vision is bad, 6X is plenty of magnification for any distant shot you'll ever need to make.

More magnification is beneficial if you're shooting LR at a tiny aim point of, say 1/2" or smaller, in which case the reticle may completely cover your POA at 6X.

Otherwise, 6X will do everything that needs to be done on a working rifle. If I had to choose only one optic magnification for all hunting & field shooting, it would be 6X. I believe it's the best compromise for reasonable close range FOV and reasonable long range magnification, while still offering reasonably good light transmission in a reasonably compact package when using a 42mm objective. There's something to be said for keeping things simple, and a good fixed 6X42 is a good choice for those reasons.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
hoopersb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoopersb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2015 at 11:14
Thanks for all of the input.  I will definitely consider the SS when I decide to do some changing on optics.  The Swarovski should be better than the SWFA if price comparison means anything.  I like the price point on the SS scopes.  I kind of wish that they had the option of capped adjustment knobs, though.  No big deal, but they seem kind of large, too.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2015 at 17:03
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Unless you're competitive benchrest shooting and aiming at bullet holes to try to get sub 1/4MOA groups or your vision is bad, 6X is plenty of magnification for any distant shot you'll ever need to make.

More magnification is beneficial if you're shooting LR at a tiny aim point of, say 1/2" or smaller, in which case the reticle may completely cover your POA at 6X.

Otherwise, 6X will do everything that needs to be done on a working rifle. If I had to choose only one optic magnification for all hunting & field shooting, it would be 6X. I believe it's the best compromise for reasonable close range FOV and reasonable long range magnification, while still offering reasonably good light transmission in a reasonably compact package when using a 42mm objective. There's something to be said for keeping things simple, and a good fixed 6X42 is a good choice for those reasons.

I second that… 6x is one of the most versatile fixed powers around.  I like 4x, but 6x is better.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
hoopersb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoopersb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2015 at 17:13
I turned two of my scopes to 6x this afternoon on my range.  With a 17 HMR and a US-made Burris 3x9, at 6x, I shot an inch group at 200 yards.  With a 6mm and a Nikon Buckmaster, I had no problem keeping moaish on steel at 300.  I think that 6x is just fine.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2015 at 09:10
There ya go!  Seems you CAN see... n shoot too! Excellent

Welcome to the OT! Howdy
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

hoopersb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoopersb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2015 at 10:07
Just another follow-up question on the 6x42.  I have read some where the reticle tends to disappear in fading light.  I have a bit of that problem with the B&C reticle on my Leupold 3.5x10.  Any real field experience with this would be helpful.  It would be perfect if they would just illuminate it!
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2015 at 10:16
The mil-quad is pretty fine (as in thin), so for your purposes, you might consider the mil-dot option on the 6x42.

SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical RiflescopeSWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS6X42
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
$299.95
Add SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope to Cart 
More Details »

Optional Accessories:

< id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl03_Add2Cart_KitComponent_1593_0" ="" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl03$Add2Cart$KitComponent_1593$0">
< id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl03_Add2Cart_KitComponent_1593_1" ="" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl03$Add2Cart$KitComponent_1593$1">
< id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl03_Add2Cart_KitComponent_1593_2" ="" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl03$Add2Cart$KitComponent_1593$2">
< id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl03_Add2Cart_KitComponent_1593_3" ="" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl03$Add2Cart$KitComponent_1593$3">
< id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl03_Add2Cart_KitComponent_1593_4" ="" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl03$Add2Cart$KitComponent_1593$4">
hoopersb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoopersb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2015 at 14:09
That is what I was wondering. 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2015 at 15:06
Originally posted by DCAMM94 DCAMM94 wrote:

The mil-quad is pretty fine (as in thin), so for your purposes, you might consider the mil-dot option on the 6x42.

SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical RiflescopeSWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS6X42
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
$299.95
Add SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope to Cart 
More Details »

Optional Accessories:

< id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl03_Add2Cart_KitComponent_1593_0" ="" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl03$Add2Cart$KitComponent_1593$0">
< id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl03_Add2Cart_KitComponent_1593_1" ="" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl03$Add2Cart$KitComponent_1593$1">
< id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl03_Add2Cart_KitComponent_1593_2" ="" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl03$Add2Cart$KitComponent_1593$2">
< id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl03_Add2Cart_KitComponent_1593_3" ="" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl03$Add2Cart$KitComponent_1593$3">
< id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl03_Add2Cart_KitComponent_1593_4" ="" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl03$Add2Cart$KitComponent_1593$4">

I disagree with that.

In the 6x, Mil-quad is a fair bit more visible in low light than the MilDot.

The thin lines are of about the same thickness, but the thick bars are substantially thicker in the Mil-Quad.

I am pretty sure SWFA has published the reticle dimensions for both.

ILya
hoopersb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoopersb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2015 at 16:25
Maybe when I decide to buy one, I can find someone with one that I can look through at dusk.  Good info here, thanks.
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2015 at 11:37
Fair enough, Ilya.  I was going by how fine the 3-9x42 mil-quad looks at 6x.  Seems really fine to me - definitely not a low-light friendly reticle except at 9x, IMO, and then you have to deal with the smallish exit pupil.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2015 at 15:22
I have the 3-9x42 with both reticles and Mil quad is more visible.

ILya
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2015 at 15:47
I certainly am not going to disagree with that.  Period.  Thanks Ilya.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic