OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New guy looking for advice on a scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2015 at 04:25
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

A few comments.

When choosing a riflescope, figure out how much you want to spend.

If your budget is $300, get the 10x42 SS Classic and never look back.

If your budget is not fixed at $300 and you can spend a bit more without major life issues, perhaps you should spend a bit more.  That is for you to decide.

That out of the way, I have seen more SWFA SS scopes that most (honestly, outside of people who work for SWFA, I have seen more of these than just about anyone) and they track with boring consistency.  As a reviewer, I have a love/hate relationship with SWFA SS scopes: using them is a lot of fun, but writing about them really isn't.  They punch above their weight class and give me very little to nitpick on.

With fixed power Classic scopes, I think 10x is the sweetspot, although 12x is quite good as well.  16x and 20x have limited application.  6x is quite excellent as well, but is outside of this discussion.

On keeping 77 SMKs supersonic at 1000 yards:  
I am not sure what altitude you are at, but to have a snowball's chance in hell of doing that you have to be either above 5000ft altitude or really pushing your loads.  If you plan to push your handloads, I would strongly encourage you to that with a botlgun, not an AR.  Handloading ARs hot, is asking for trouble.

With 5.56 pressures, I had the most consistent performance at max load with Ramshot TAC and that got me about 2800fps in a 20 inch barrel, so if you are lucky and you got a fast barrel, you might get around 2860-2900 out of a 24" tube.

ILya

Thanks for responding to my thread.  I've read your other forum/website, and was definitely interested to hear what you had to say on the matter.

As far as reaching out to 1,000 yards with the 5.56 AR15, I know it will be close, but I think it might be doable, even at sea level.  These particular bullets are the new tipped Sierra Match Kings, and have a bit higher (.420) B.C.  than the standard Match Kings.  I am getting around 2,600 FPS from the regular Match Kings out of my BHW 18" barrel, and I had hoped I'd get another 150 or so FPS out of the longer barrel.

One thing you had mentioned puzzled me though.  The 5.56 is supposed to support the higher pressures.  If so, how would a .223 bolt gun be able to push them faster?

Thanks!

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2015 at 04:27
There's no real right or wrong, I guess.

FWIW, I like my fixed 10x SS for load development or if I'm wanting to true a rifle. The 3-9x SS is the one I use most.   

My 3 favorite scopes are, in no particular order, the 10x SS, the 3-9x SS, and my Aimpoint Micro. Lastly, my Leupold VX-R 3-9x. Lower power variables best suit my needs, most of the time.    
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2015 at 04:30
I might try those 77gr SMK's on my AR. What powder are you using? 
Joker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2015 at 04:34

Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

I might try those 77gr SMK's on my AR. What powder are you using? 

IMR 8208XBR.  It is supposedly very temperature stable.  I've made MANY accurate recipes using this powder.

Joker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2015 at 04:36

Here's one I shot today playing with bullet seating depth using the tipped SMKs and IMR 8208XBR using my Savage bolt action .223

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2015 at 09:09
Wow...nice group. Those damn Savages are sweet shooters. Which Savage do you have? Modified?

My .223 Bolt gun won't take a heavy bullet. My Bravo muddy AR loves the heavier bullets, with its 7 twist.
Joker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2015 at 02:11

Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Wow...nice group. Those damn Savages are sweet shooters. Which Savage do you have? Modified?

My .223 Bolt gun won't take a heavy bullet. My Bravo muddy AR loves the heavier bullets, with its 7 twist.

Thanks.  It's the 11VT, 24" Varmint Barrel.  On it sits the Viper PST 6-24X.

Not modified.  It's an out of the box "Dicks Sporting goods special".  I think it was on sale for $499, I got another $50 off for applying for the Dicks credit card, and a $75 rebate from Savage.

The barrel is free floated from the factory, and it has an Accu-trigger.  That Accu-trigger is sweet too!

Here it is with yours truly.  We engaged steel targets out to 770 yds with it that day using Nosler 77 gr Custom Competition loads.  It was a bit cold though.  It snowed off and on while we were there.

Joker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2015 at 02:15

Well, it doesn't want the image to come through even though I can see it in the preview.

Joker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2015 at 02:18

Lets try this again.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2015 at 02:30
Originally posted by Joker Joker wrote:

A few comments.

If your budget is not fixed at $300 and you can spend a bit more without major life issues, perhaps you should spend a bit more.  That is for you to decide.

That out of the way, I have seen more SWFA SS scopes that most (honestly, outside of people who work for SWFA, I have seen more of these than just about anyone) and they track with boring consistency.  As a reviewer, I have a love/hate relationship with SWFA SS scopes: using them is a lot of fun, but writing about them really isn't.  They punch above their weight class and give me very little to nitpick on.

With fixed power Classic scopes, I think 10x is the sweetspot, although 12x is quite good as well.  16x and 20x have limited application.  6x is quite excellent as well, but is outside of this discussion.

I am not sure what altitude you are at, but to have a snowball's chance in hell of doing that you have to be either above 5000ft altitude or really pushing your loads.  If you plan to push your handloads, I would strongly encourage you to that with a botlgun, not an AR.  Handloading ARs hot, is asking for trouble.

With 5.56 pressures, I had the most consistent performance at max load with Ramshot TAC and that got me about 2800fps in a 20 inch barrel, so if you are lucky and you got a fast barrel, you might get around 2860-2900 out of a 24" tube.

ILya

Thanks for responding to my thread.  I've read your other forum/website, and was definitely interested to hear what you had to say on the matter.

As far as reaching out to 1,000 yards with the 5.56 AR15, I know it will be close, but I think it might be doable, even at sea level.  These particular bullets are the new tipped Sierra Match Kings, and have a bit higher (.420) B.C.  than the standard Match Kings.  I am getting around 2,600 FPS from the regular Match Kings out of my BHW 18" barrel, and I had hoped I'd get another 150 or so FPS out of the longer barrel.

One thing you had mentioned puzzled me though.  The 5.56 is supposed to support the higher pressures.  If so, how would a .223 bolt gun be able to push them faster?

Thanks!

Boltguns are inherently stronger and if you exceed recommended pressure by a significant margin, it is better to do it in a boltgun.

As far as 5.56 vs 223 discussion goes, that is just a difference in chamber configuration.  You can have a boltgun chambered for 5.56.  Either way, if you intend to stay within the recommended pressures, it does not matter.

Tipped SMK will indeed make it easier, but the G1 BC is 0.42 only above 2400fps.  If you do a TOF weighted average out to 1000yards, the effective BC is somewhere around 0.396 or thereabouts.  That is still pretty good.  However, to stay supersonic at sea level at 1000 yards, you ahve to be launching them at a bit over 2900fps.  While possible, that may be pushing it a touch.

ILya
Joker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2015 at 02:35

Originally posted by Joker Joker wrote:

A few comments.

ILya

Thanks!

Boltguns are inherently stronger and if you exceed recommended pressure by a significant margin, it is better to do it in a boltgun.

As far as 5.56 vs 223 discussion goes, that is just a difference in chamber configuration.  You can have a boltgun chambered for 5.56.  Either way, if you intend to stay within the recommended pressures, it does not matter.

Tipped SMK will indeed make it easier, but the G1 BC is 0.42 only above 2400fps.  If you do a TOF weighted average out to 1000yards, the effective BC is somewhere around 0.396 or thereabouts.  That is still pretty good.  However, to stay supersonic at sea level at 1000 yards, you ahve to be launching them at a bit over 2900fps.  While possible, that may be pushing it a touch.

ILya

Thanks for the clarification.  Makes sense when you put it that way. I don't push the pressures too much.  If I see pressure signs I'll stop there or back down.  My goal is not to blow anything up, but to find an accurate node near the top end if possible.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2015 at 03:02
Cool. Thanks for the pictures. 
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2015 at 09:33
I didn't really see a lot of comments on tracking out at 1000 yards, but let me tell you the SS scopes track perfect for me.  I have a 3-15 sitting on a 6.5 Grendel that has shot more than one LR competition and lot and lots of PDs at ranges from 10 yards to 1200 yard, and it tracks perfectly and repeatably.  

I also have a 5-20 sitting on my desert tech that i run both a 338 Lapua and a 260 Rem barrel on.  I have had the 338 out to 2500 yards with no tracking problems and returned to 0 perfectly and back out to any range I wanted.  Same with the 260 barrel, but only out to about 2000 on that one once, but repeatedly to 1200 with no issues.

I can assure you that any of the SS scopes will track fine out to any distance.

If you want to stay in that $300 range, get the 10x.  If you are willing to spend a little more, I highly recommend the 3-15.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Joker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2015 at 11:24
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

I didn't really see a lot of comments on tracking out at 1000 yards, but let me tell you the SS scopes track perfect for me.  I have a 3-15 sitting on a 6.5 Grendel that has shot more than one LR competition and lot and lots of PDs at ranges from 10 yards to 1200 yard, and it tracks perfectly and repeatably.  

I also have a 5-20 sitting on my desert tech that i run both a 338 Lapua and a 260 Rem barrel on.  I have had the 338 out to 2500 yards with no tracking problems and returned to 0 perfectly and back out to any range I wanted.  Same with the 260 barrel, but only out to about 2000 on that one once, but repeatedly to 1200 with no issues.

I can assure you that any of the SS scopes will track fine out to any distance.

If you want to stay in that $300 range, get the 10x.  If you are willing to spend a little more, I highly recommend the 3-15.

Thanks for your input.  Seems like ALL of the SWFA SS line do a knock out job of tracking!  That is the main reason I am looking to get one.

Joker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2015 at 17:15
Now I'm just waiting on the Black Friday sale to see what the prices are on the 3-15 and fixed power SS scopes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic