OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

need advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbar3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need advice
    Posted: November/18/2015 at 14:58
I need some advice from you guys that know a whole lot more about scopes than me. I purchased a Sako A7 in 308, and I am trying to decide which brand of scope is the best bang for my buck. Due to my career choice of working for a fire department, I have a budget of around $1000.00. With that being said, I have my choices narrowed down but can't find any deciding factors to eliminate any scopes down to a winner. My choices are:
Night force SHV 4-14x56 ( I am a little worried about the 56mm obj. but it may be a non worry issue)
Leupold 4.4-14x50 VX3 or VX3L (not sure what the difference is)
Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50
Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x50

I did see a couple of Leopold VX6 in 3-18x50 on the sample list which is not out of my price range.
Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to make as sound of a decision with my money as I can't afford any "do-overs" right now.
Thank you very much

S. Taylor
Tbar3 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbar3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2015 at 15:02
Forgot to add that I am strictly a hunter, no competition or anything of that sort
Thank You
S. Taylor
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2015 at 15:08
Within your budget I would definitely consider a Swaro z3 or a Leica er5

http://swfa.com/Z3-C1808.aspx

http://swfa.com/ER-5-C12963.aspx
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2015 at 15:19
+1 on the Z3 and the Leica. Or if you wanted to save some money I would look at the Leupold VX-Rs.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-3-9x40-VX-R-30mm-Riflescope-P48036.aspx

Also two thoughts one don't skimp on rings and two most new shooters over scope their rifles. Meaning they want too much magnification.
Tbar3 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbar3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2015 at 15:19
Wow, I didn't know Swaro had anything in my price range.
Can I ask a question regarding 1" vs. 30mm? I hear the back and forth on which one is best, but on higher end scopes, is it that big of a deal? What are the main advantage's
Sorry for all the questions, I am trying to learn.
S. Taylor
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2015 at 15:21
No worries, ask away. And rather than reinvent the wheel check this out in the Facts section here.

http://opticstalk.com/30mm-vs-1inch-tube-for-light_topic3828.html
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2015 at 15:34
30" could be stronger all else being equal, and they often offer more adjustment range.  But other than that don't pay to much mind to it. 

For your uses it will make zero difference.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2015 at 19:21
I have a few of the 1" Swaros and they are great scopes, great glass. Buy with confidence!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
hunterco View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2015 at 23:28
Have you looked at Steiner and Minox?

http://www.samplelist.com/Steiner-2-10x42-GS3-Rifle-Scope-DEMO-A-P88363.aspx

http://swfa.com/Minox-3-15x42-ZA5-HD-Riflescope-P65424.aspx

I've bought and sold so many scopes and ended up liking the German glass,..no surprise. I do like the Weaver, Nikon and Sightron for imported glass. I use the Minox 3-15x on a 300 WSM. I use a 1-6 minox on an AR15 for different applications. 

The leupolds you mentioned may be good on resale if you change your mind or trade it in to the samplelist.
10-Ring View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10-Ring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2015 at 02:20

You have a nice rifle chambered in a great hunting cartridge. Please don't spoil it by topping it with some large, heavy high magnification scope. A Leupold VX-3 3.5-10 would be the most magnification you'd need.

Leica is bringing out a new range of hunting scopes very soon. The 1.5-8x32 would be a terrific hunting scope. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1123611-REG/leica_51040_er_5_1_5_8_x.html

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic