OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New SWFA SS Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirate Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2015 at 09:43
Thanks Guys !!! It's never as much fun unless ya feel like you getting away with something :)
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2015 at 09:59
The 10x HD is out of stock and that is why it was left out of the sale this year. The 5-20 Illuminated is not on the in store ad, but it will be on sale at 25% off and on the email blast as will the non illuminated model.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Chrispy1023 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrispy1023 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2015 at 10:29
Woo Hoo
Joker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2015 at 11:55
Damn.  I'm afraid I'm going to be spending a LOT more than I'd planned....
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2015 at 13:52

Originally posted by MikieG MikieG wrote:

...SWFA is the only retailer/mfgr that does this....

Remember how big Black Friday deals used to be before all the big retailers started putting Christmas stuff our before Halloween and started running "Black Friday" sales the entire month of November?  It used to be really something special and kept secret until Friday.

We try to keep it secret and mail a printed ad locally for the retail store that we try and have hit today but its hard to forecast what the USPS is going to do.  The main e-mail announcement will go at 12:01 am Friday.

In years past the response has been way higher than our predictions and every year we adjust based on the previous.  We hope that our servers don't start smoking and that our inventory holds up.

Order early and order often!

The store ads that mailed are a little different than the nation wide e-mail deals as some things sell better in the store (YETI Coolers) and some things sell better online (SS).

The link to the ad from last year was, http://www.swfa.com/BlackFriday2014/  WhistlingJust saying. Wink

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2015 at 14:00
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

The link to the ad from last year was, http://www.swfa.com/BlackFriday2014/  WhistlingJust saying. Wink

Been playing with that all dayWink  went live recently
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
burfurd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burfurd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2015 at 16:00
For the good folks at SWFA.... could you briefly list the differences between the new SS 10x42 and the 'old' or current 10x42? I read that the MOA reticle may be the big difference. Thank you.
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2015 at 16:57

Burford, welcome to Optics Talk. Howdy

The new SS10X42MOA has one difference compared to the old one. The reticle.

The reticle in the new one subtends in minute of angle. Each hash mark represents 1 MOA, then at 10 MOA you have Quadrilaterals for faster reference.

The previous model subtended in Mils. With its traditional baseball style mil-dot reticle, from the center of one dot to the next dot represents 1 Miilradian.

They are differing angular measurements. The new one has turrets that match the reticle. The older version, you would need to determine how many MOA there are between the dots, in order to make corrections if you missed and looking to correct with a follow up shot.

The benefit to the new one, because of its First Focal Plane reticle is actually better explained by Christopher's illustration;

Originally posted by Chris Farris II Chris Farris II wrote:

I have shot with people a few times who when sighting in a Mil/Mil scope will still go to the target and measure how far away it is from bullseye in inches and then try to convert it into Mils in their head. Because of this I decided to do a write up on sighting in a Mil/Mil scope. It is extremely easy when done right. You start off with your blank target.

You will then get a steady rest and fire your first shot off. The key here is a steady rest and slow steady trigger pull. If done right this will only take 2 shots so make sure it counts. You then squeze the trigger and let the gun do the work. Now You simply look at the target and see how much you missed by.

In this case your initial shot was more than 3.5 mils to the right but not quite 4 and a little less than 6 mils low. The key here is to forget about inches or any other linear measurement. Just measure with the scope, after all that is what it was designed for. Now go ahead and make your adjustments 3.7 mils to the left and 5.7 mils up. Now reaquire your target and verify your adjusments. If done properly your next shot should be in the bullseye.

This method can be used in many other circumstances also. Say you are out with some friends plinking some steel at some pretty good distances. Will you be able to measure an exact hit with it at 500 yards or more, probably not. However, when dealing with winds gusting and varying in MPH it can help a lot. You shoot and see the wind has pushed your bullet a little farther off the target than you anticipated. Instead of dialing in your windage, because the wind is varying, just measure it with your scope and hold however far off your splash in the dirt was to the side of the target in the opposite direction. It makes for very fast and very accurate adjustments/corrections in many shooting conditions. You have the equipment, use it to your advantage!

This helps to simply things when the turret adjustments match the reticle. I.E., Mil-Dot reticle, have Miilradian adjustments and vice versa for MOA adjustments.

burfurd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burfurd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2015 at 19:45
Thank you very much Chris. That makes it 'easier' to understand...Bucky  This is Not second nature for me so your reply really helps.
burfurd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burfurd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2015 at 19:52
PS--You mention 'First Focal Plane'. If we are talking about a fixed power like your 10x scopes, there is no such thing as a First or Second focal plane issue, is there??  Sorry, I get confused easily.
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2015 at 20:32
The reticles in the fixed power are positioned for the magnification that is used. This way the reticle is relative to the target.  Same principle.

Iowa Fox View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowa Fox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2015 at 20:43
Skylar, Are you planning on bringing the new reticle out in your 12X fixed. I really need the extra 2X but hate to miss out on a good sale.

Thanks
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2015 at 12:20
Here are some initial thoughts:

ILya
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2015 at 14:54
As always ILya, spot on in your assessments.  Thanks.

For those who would like to see some live reticle pics, here are some.  As always, don't try and judge the glass quality, etc, as it's more a measure of my photography skills at the moment (lousy) than anything else.  The light was fading fast making things more difficult as well.  But these should help give people an idea what they look like in the flesh.

10X MOA-Quad:

Larger Version:  http://www.jonaadland.com/Hunting/SuperSniper/2015Reticles/10XMOAQuad.jpg

On a 12" Gong at 200 yds:

Larger Version:  http://www.jonaadland.com/Hunting/SuperSniper/2015Reticles/10XMOAQuad200.jpg

On a 24"X18" Gong at 500 yds: 

Larger Version:  http://www.jonaadland.com/Hunting/SuperSniper/2015Reticles/10XMOAQuad500.jpg

An 8" Gong at 600 yds: 

Larger Version:  http://www.jonaadland.com/Hunting/SuperSniper/2015Reticles/10XMOAQuad600.jpg

Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2015 at 15:01
My pictures were particularly bad with  the 3-15 Mil-Quad Dot.  I think the ocular focus was off a bit as all the pictures seemed to either have a sharp reticle or sharp target, not both at the same time.  Anyway just focus on the reticle, the glass is the same as the DM obviously.....

3-15X42 SFP Mil-Quad Dot:

Larger Version: http://www.jonaadland.com/Hunting/SuperSniper/2015Reticles/3-15SFPDot.jpg

Larger Version:  http://www.jonaadland.com/Hunting/SuperSniper/2015Reticles/3-15SFPDot200.jpg

Larger Version:  http://www.jonaadland.com/Hunting/SuperSniper/2015Reticles/3-15SFPDot500.jpg

An 8" Gong at 600 yds: 

Larger Version: http://www.jonaadland.com/Hunting/SuperSniper/2015Reticles/3-15SFPDot600.jpg

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2015 at 15:11
Nice additions to the SS family!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2015 at 15:15
Originally posted by Pirate Joe Pirate Joe wrote:

Notorious, can you email me link to sale ?   44vanilla@gmail.com. Thanks a Ton !!   Can't wait

Welcome to OT, Pirate!

I have a hunch I know you, sir! Wink
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2015 at 15:23
3-15X42 SFP Mil-Quad DM:

Larger Version:  http://www.jonaadland.com/Hunting/SuperSniper/2015Reticles/3-15SFPMilQuadDM.jpg

Larger Version:  http://www.jonaadland.com/Hunting/SuperSniper/2015Reticles/3-15SFPMilQuadDM200.jpg

Larger Version:  http://www.jonaadland.com/Hunting/SuperSniper/2015Reticles/3-15SFPMilQuadDM500.jpg

An 8" Gong at 600 yds: 

Larger Version: http://www.jonaadland.com/Hunting/SuperSniper/2015Reticles/3-15SFPMilQuadDM600.jpg

Here's an example of the ranging lines in use.  The Circle (what's left of it) on this gong is 9":

Larger Version:  http://www.jonaadland.com/Hunting/SuperSniper/2015Reticles/3-15SFPMilQuadDM500Range.jpg

If my hand was a bit steadier, you would see the circle covering 1/2 of the 500 yd line.   Alternatively, knowing the target was 9" one could find the line that fits and divide the range by two.  In this case the 1000 yd line did but I didn't get a decent pic of that.

Anyway, hopefully that helps people see what the reticles are like a bit better.

637mase View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 637mase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2015 at 21:10
Thanks Jon A and ILya for putting together two great presentations of the 3-15 SFP scopes. I'm now sure that my purchase will be on point. You are much appreciated - thanks again.  
Iowa Fox View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowa Fox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2015 at 21:47
My 10X with the new MOA/MOA I ordered on the Black Friday sale arrive today. The mailman was so late it was dark when he got here so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to look thru the scope outside. My first SWFA.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic