OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Comparing SWFA 6x42 to 10x42 ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Comparing SWFA 6x42 to 10x42 ??
    Posted: November/19/2015 at 18:12
I have used the SWFA 10x42 Milquad Classic when deer hunting and it works great in the fields but not to good in the woods  especially when it gets close to the sun going down.

I am curious to hear from those who have used both hunting whether the 6x42  Milquad Classic is noticeably easier to see than the 10x42 Milquad  Classic in the woods and dark conditions??

Thanks
Craig
Stevel610 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevel610 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2015 at 21:35
I actually just ordered both the new 10x42moa and the 6x42mq on the Black Friday sale to see which will suit my needs better. I'm looking for a target scope which will also serve for hunting at times.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2015 at 22:47
I've had both the Milquad and the Mil Dot in the 6x and the 10x.  For deer I would suggest the 6x with the mil dot rather than the finer more precise marking of the mil quad.  The mil dot lines in 6x still stand out fairly well.  With mil quad in 6x you will always be able to see the three heavy outer posts but in a 6x the fine inner markings are very fine where in higher power like the 16x the Milquad is preferable.  6x and below that the milquad is really very fine lines in a FFP or fixed power scope. Milquad is fantastic in the higher power scopes.
The other advantage to using the mil dot in the 6x is that it is very easy to compile a range finging chart to range 16 in body deer and also make a balistic hold over chart in mil to know how much to hold over in mil.  One can use Kenton Knobs to dial in correction for a specific caliber and load or make a chart to dial in hold over.  Note the Mil Dot will be quarter MOA clicks but even so running a computer balistic chart in MIL will let you use the mil dot for hold over marks.
6x will be considerably brighter in low light than 10x.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
bcraig View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2015 at 17:23
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

I've had both the Milquad and the Mil Dot in the 6x and the 10x.  For deer I would suggest the 6x with the mil dot rather than the finer more precise marking of the mil quad.  The mil dot lines in 6x still stand out fairly well.  With mil quad in 6x you will always be able to see the three heavy outer posts but in a 6x the fine inner markings are very fine where in higher power like the 16x the Milquad is preferable.  6x and below that the milquad is really very fine lines in a FFP or fixed power scope. Milquad is fantastic in the higher power scopes.
The other advantage to using the mil dot in the 6x is that it is very easy to compile a range finging chart to range 16 in body deer and also make a balistic hold over chart in mil to know how much to hold over in mil.  One can use Kenton Knobs to dial in correction for a specific caliber and load or make a chart to dial in hold over.  Note the Mil Dot will be quarter MOA clicks but even so running a computer balistic chart in MIL will let you use the mil dot for hold over marks.
6x will be considerably brighter in low light than 10x.

Thanks
I ordered the 6x42mq yesterday though !
I do use a rangefinder and will tape the holdovers to the turret at different ranges .
Most of my hunting is done sitting on the edge of a field and the woods with shots out to maybe 450 but mostly 300 yards and less.Maybe 10 percent actually done in the woods.

I wanted the durability of the Swfa and a fixed power for durability(less moving parts)with the ability of either holding over or dialing.
Tired of getting Leupold erectors replaced or rebuilt and the sometimes inconsistent adjustments !

Along with the increased brightness
As long as I can see the 6x42 Mq a little easier than the 10x42MQ for the rare times I am in the woods I think I will be happy.

If not then I guess i will sell it or trade for a 6x42MD

Thanks again

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2015 at 17:42
This keeps on coming up, so I figured I should make a comment

On the perceived durabilty advantage of fixed power scope over variables: for quality scopes, it is largely theoretical.  Companies have been making variable scopes for a long time and have alrgley figured out how to make them in a reliable manner.

There are some specific cases like cartridges with psychotic recoil where it might still make a difference, but by and large, with scopes like SWFA SS line, there is no practical difference in durbility.

If you want to buy a fixed power SS because it is cheaper, that is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.  However, if you are sticking with a fixed power scope because you think it will hold up better, you are fooling yourself.

ILya
bcraig View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2015 at 18:32
By and large concerning the Swfa line that may be true however the fact still remains that there is less to go wrong with a fixed power than a variable.
That is not perceived ,that is fact.

24hourcampfire has many reports of  other name Variables(including Leupold) that do not perform in a reliable manner and John Barsness reports that he has had many variables start acting screwy. And on sometimes smaller calibers.And at many different price points.

Certainly one would think that Leupold has been in the buisness long enough and would have figured out how to make them reliable.

I have in fact used a Leupold Variable (VX1 3-9x40) 2015 model recently that the impact changes slightly as the power ring is turned and the adjustments are mushy.

Never had a problem with POI changing when the power ring was changed on a fixed power !

Enough to keep me from placing the bullet in the vitals of a deer ? No but regardless the issues are there.

I appreciate your comment but for me the less that can go wrong(less parts and less moving parts) Just makes sense.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2015 at 20:16
If the design is done right, the practical difference is nil.

As far as Barseness goes, I'f rather not go there.  I do find his reloading advice quite reasonable.

That does not mean there aren't crappy variable scopes out there.  

For example, the VX-1 design you referred to harkens back to the 70s.  It has only undergone cosmetic and coating changes since then.

I am stunned that Leupold still manages to sell it for that much money.  You've got noone else to blame for buying it.

As far as various user reports go, best I can tell, the biggest you see so many reports of malfunctioning variable scopes is that there are so many of them sold.  Very few fixed power scopes are still made and sold.  On top of that, outside of the tactical crowd, most people I know who use fixed power scopes do not inhabit internet forums and do not report the problems they encounter, however few.

ILya
bcraig View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2015 at 22:14
Thanks for your information

Hope I made a wise choice with the 6x42MQ
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2015 at 02:36
You did. The 6x42 with MQ is an excellent design.

ILya
Stevel610 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevel610 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2016 at 20:14
Originally posted by Stevel610 Stevel610 wrote:

I actually just ordered both the new 10x42moa and the 6x42mq on the Black Friday sale to see which will suit my needs better. I'm looking for a target scope which will also serve for hunting at times.

Both were great. Kept the 6x42.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2016 at 15:58
SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope
I wonder if an illuminated version of the MQ 6x would be a possible? In low light that would make a lot of difference.  Or an illuminated  MQ  3-9 would be a welcome addition. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic