OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

308 scope under 350 opinions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 805stormtrooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 308 scope under 350 opinions
    Posted: November/25/2015 at 11:23
I am buying a dicks sporting goods version of the savage model 11 this weekend which will be a heavy barrel 308, and would like to purchase a scope for it soon. Scope will be used mostly at the range, but will occasionally be used to hunt. At the range I would like to hit 600 yards. Thinking a 4-12 or 16 power would work out great. I have searched around forums a lot, and there is definitely a lot of information out there about budget scopes, but most of the stuff I was reading was 5-10 years old, and I'm sure there are new scopes or brands out since then. I don't have a problem going on eBay and finding a used scope either, so if you have recommendations on older scopes to keep an eye out for, that would be great. Thank you for any help -Travis
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2015 at 12:54
I suggest you go to SWFA's samplelist and look at the Sightron and Vortex offerings.  Really not much else I would suggest in your price range for your stated purposes.  You might also take a look at the Leatherwood M1000.  I have one that I have used on a number of different rifles and it has held up well.  Currently spends most of its time on my DPMS AR-10.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
805stormtrooper View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 805stormtrooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2015 at 13:09
Great website you suggested, thank you. I will definitely look into a sightron scope. There wasn't much for vortex scopes on there. But I did see a Nicon 4-16x42 pro staff 7 for 340$. decent scope? Or am I better off going with sightron? Thanks again
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 805stormtrooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2015 at 13:12
*nikon
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2015 at 13:47
Asking a lot for your budget.  Can you give us some more information? What kind of hunting do you do?  Deep brush, open fields?  What distances would they be when you did hunt?

Hard to recommend a target scope that can be used for hunting around that budget unless you can get by with a fixed 10X.  In which case this would be the best scope for your needs, IMO. 

I'll try to give you some more recommendations once we have more info.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 805stormtrooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2015 at 14:06
it would be for deer at a max of 350-400 yards. Then targets at a max of 600 yards. And in my area it is light scattered brush, most of it is short so I can see over it. Manzanita, button sage, scrub oak, and a few oak trees
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2015 at 14:09
How close would your shots be when hunting?   under 100? under 50? 

Edited by SVT_Tactical - November/25/2015 at 14:20
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 805stormtrooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2015 at 14:38
Average shot while hunting would be around 200 yards. I really appreciate all of the help, thank you
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2015 at 14:41
Then I will stand with the SWFA SS 10X recommendation.  Will give you plenty of use on the range and work for hunting as well. 
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 805stormtrooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2015 at 18:23
Sounds great. If no one else has any other recommendations I can compare the swfa to, then I will end up purchasing that one. Thanks again!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2015 at 19:03
If you want to engage in target shooting out too 600 or thereabouts, you need to make sure the scope has reliable turrets, so the fixed power SWFA SS is a good way to go.

You need to decide though whether the 6x42 or 10x42 would fit you best.

The 10x42 is a better target scope, but the 6x42 is a better hunting scope.

If you ever go to Angeles Shooting Range, I can let you take a look at both and see which would work best for you. I do not make it out to Piru or Ojai these days which are likely closer to you.

ILya
p230 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2015 at 10:44
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

ILya
Could you elaborate ILya?I am going to order 2 scopes and was looking at the 10X scopes.  One would be for a FN .308 SPR and the other for a home brewed 6.5 Grendel.  Both would be used for punching paper and the 6.5 for hunting.  I seriously doubt I will ever take a shot over 300m or in really low light but I was going to get the 10X with the milquad since my eyes require a little more magnification than they did a few years ago.  Is the 6x better for hunting because of the field of view?

Thanks

Rico, we'll need special tactical equipment
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2015 at 17:44
Originally posted by p230 p230 wrote:

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

ILya
Could you elaborate ILya?I am going to order 2 scopes and was looking at the 10X scopes.  One would be for a FN .308 SPR and the other for a home brewed 6.5 Grendel.  Both would be used for punching paper and the 6.5 for hunting.  I seriously doubt I will ever take a shot over 300m or in really low light but I was going to get the 10X with the milquad since my eyes require a little more magnification than they did a few years ago.  Is the 6x better for hunting because of the field of view?

Thanks

Because of field of view and ease of picking up the target.

Honestly, if you have enough money for two scopes, perhaps you should consider getting one SWFA SS 3-9x42 or 3-15x42 in quality QD rings and move it between rifles until you can afford to get another one.

ILya
p230 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2015 at 21:27

[/QUOTE]

Because of field of view and ease of picking up the target.

Honestly, if you have enough money for two scopes, perhaps you should consider getting one SWFA SS 3-9x42 or 3-15x42 in quality QD rings and move it between rifles until you can afford to get another one.

ILya
[/QUOTE]

If I were not in the market for scopes for other rifles as well I probably would.  May do that anyway and see what kind of sales SWFA has later in the year.  I seriously doubt I would ever swap a scope, I am lazy that way.  Thanks for the advice,I will go back and look over their offerings.  I was looking hard at the S.S.A.L.T.  mount for the 6.5 Grendel.
Rico, we'll need special tactical equipment
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 805stormtrooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2015 at 15:12
One more question. What would your pick be between these 2 scopes
Sightron big sky 3-12X42
SWFA ss 10x42
Thank you
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2015 at 16:02
Originally posted by 805stormtrooper 805stormtrooper wrote:

One more question. What would your pick be between these 2 scopes
Sightron big sky 3-12X42
SWFA ss 10x42
Thank you

That depends on the application.  For target and precision shooting, I would pick the SS 10x42.
For hunting, I would prefer the Sightron S2 Big Sky.  If you choose to get the Sightron, I suggest  the HHR reticle over the duplex.  It is a little thicker and shows up better in low light.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic