OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Concerns about sample list scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Concerns about sample list scopes
    Posted: November/28/2015 at 07:27
Has anyone had second thoughts about purchasing from the sample list? Especially a higher end scope? I once purchased a demo from a competitor, and the scope just came in a box. No cover or paperwork, I mean nothing. I will not even get into the condition of the scope. I was looking at the Zeiss Victory HT instead of purchasing a new Kahles KXi. Thanks for your input.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2015 at 09:49
I've bought MOST of my higher end scopes off the Sample List. Most were demo optics that looked brand new but just couldn't be sold as new because they had been taken out of the box, some never even mounted before. If you look at the condition designation in the descriptions, you'll notice "Demo-A, Demo-B, and Demo-C." "A" is like new condition, "B" may have very faint ring marks or other minor cosmetic flaws, and "C" will have noticeable ring marks, scratches,etc. In my experience buying a Demo A item is just like buying a new item in every way except without the plastic shrink wrap outside the box. Almost all of the Demo B items I've bought would also pass for new, but you might notice very faint ring marks if you look VERY closely. I've not bought any Demo C items, so can't comment there, but I would have no hesitation in doing so if I found something I wanted at the right price.

Buy with confidence. SWFA will treat you right!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
stilhuntin View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stilhuntin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2015 at 09:55
I too have purchased several scopes off the Sample list including a KXI and a Z6i. Both were like brand new. If you see something on the sample list call them and they will pull the item and give you a very accurate description. Always check into the warranty on these items.
Great people to deal with and they don't try to up sell.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2015 at 10:33
Agreed, a "B" Schmidt Bender I got had faint ring marks and looked unused otherwise.
Doug
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2015 at 10:33
Great experiences for me too. No worries.   
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
p230 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2015 at 10:36
I got 3 refurbed Nikon's from it.  No problems with them.  There was a shipping mix up which SWFA fixed as soon as they found out.  I would buy with confidence from it again.
Rico, we'll need special tactical equipment
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2015 at 12:22
+4.  A couple of the Demo B items I purchased could have been rated Demo A and had no evidence of ever having been mounted or used.  The Demo A item was clearly new without the shrink wrap on the box.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2015 at 12:49

How many Dittos' do you need?

DITTO!

"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2015 at 19:51
I have several scopes from the sample list… all "higher end".  No problems whatsoever.  May or may not come with the manual… depends on how it was when SWFA took it in.  If you have concerns, ASK before purchasing.  However, quality, for me, has been superior.  I've not been able to find why the ones I have were rated DEMO B… no marks, no flaws, perfect operation.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
HKtoTikka View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HKtoTikka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2015 at 09:18
I purchased a Swarovski, it looked LNIB and had everything: box, wipes, manual and lens covers. If you are hesitant then call and ask about what's there.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2015 at 09:50
Don't buy high end optics from the Sample list, let the rest of us "take it for the team" in making these type of purchases. Wink
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
HKtoTikka View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HKtoTikka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2015 at 18:40
... And that about covers the flybys
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2015 at 22:20
Ive had great luck with samplelist scopes.  Out of 5 or 6 I sent 1 back and had no problem with exchanging for a  different scope.  Just dont mount it if you are not sure you like it when you look at it in person.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2015 at 09:21
I have several high end scopes from the sample list, have sent a few to the sample list as well.

Most of the ones I bought were demos, looked brand new, everything in the original box.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Whale View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2015 at 18:33

Purchased the Zeiss Victory HT.

Thanks

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2015 at 07:50
In my experience (if you need more input) is that SWFA won't mark as they should..... a lot of the scopes that are demo A could be sold as NIB and nobody would ever know.   Most of the demo B's could be called Demo A's too.   They don't take in junk so they rarely have stuff that is really really worn out.  IF they do its clearly noted.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
tjones96761 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjones96761 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2016 at 10:08
Maybe a bit late here, but I had a bad experience from the sample list...
Bought 2 Meopro scopes and one was damaged on the insides. Like you could see a screw or something sticking in front of the mirror inside. Called SWFA and was told there was no exchange and no return for sample list items when there are problems like this. It was listed as Demo C, aka not perfect, so you get what you get. They told me to take it up with Meopta customer service.
Luckily Meopta customer service fixed it at no charge and got it back to me fairly quickly. I did have to return pay shipping, but it's better than having a busted scope.
Always had good experience with SWFA, so I was really shocked at the response I got. I could understand if I was complaining about scratches or outside appearance, but this was internal and impaired the function of the scope.
When I get tied down by the ties that bind, seems like I'm never gonna find the time to do what I need. - Jason Boland "Somewhere Down in Texas"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic