OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need Compact Sport Binocs Buying Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob in Richmond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Compact Sport Binocs Buying Help
    Posted: November/30/2015 at 17:12
Hey Everyone,

My brother-in-law loves his Canon 10x30's with image stabilizing, but wants a smaller pair of binocs to bring to football games.  The Canon's are only 2.8in x 5in x 5.8in, so I'm not really sure how much smaller he can go and still have a great pair of binoculars.

Questions:
1) Does anyone make an image stabilizing pair that are significantly smaller than the Canon 10x30's (at 2.8in x 5in x 5.8in)?

2) Assuming the first answer is "No," what are some compact models for football games I should be looking at in the $400-$600 range?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Rob

p.s. If you have any questions about board games, ask away.  That's my specialty Big Smile

PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2015 at 22:40

Question 1:  No.

Question 2:  Don't know what you mean by compact, since there is no official designation as to what size a "compact" bino is.  If you want to stay with a 30-32mm bino, look at the Opticron Traveller* BGA, which is almost small enough to put in a shirt pocket.  It is the smallest bino in this objective class that I have ever seen.  You can get them in 6x, which is perfect for stadium use.  6x has many advantages over 8x for stadium use, including larger EP, wider FOV, less focusing as objects move towards or away from you, etc.

That being said, I would also highly recommend the Leupold Yosemite 6x32.  It is larger than the Traveller, but still weighs less than 18 oz.  It provides a sharper view for much less money.  I can't think of a better stadium bino for under $300, other than the Meopta Meopro 6.5x that is no longer made.

*yes, they spell "Traveller" with two l's.......

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2015 at 11:09
I use 30 year old 8x30 Japanese Bushnell's for stadium use and they are really good. I have also used the 8X AND 6X Yosemite's and think they would be great for stadium use. They are compact for a porro prism but may not fit in jean pockets like my Bushnell's though.
These Leupold binoculars might be better for pocket carry.   http://swfa.com/Leupold-10x32-BX-2-Acadia-Binocular-P64227.aspx
Doug
Whitefire View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitefire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2015 at 11:33
X 3 for the Yosemite assuming the size is not an issue.  Good optics,  small, light and inexpensive. 
Wf
May His face shine upon you and give you peace.
Rob in Richmond View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob in Richmond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2015 at 20:28
Hey Everybody,

Thanks for your suggestions.  I took them all and did a lot of thinking and ended up going with Phil's thought on the Optitron Traveller 6x32.  I really appreciate the time you all took to provide some answers.

Take it easy,
Rob
oldfortyfive View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfortyfive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2015 at 16:22
Zeiss's new Terra 8x25 folding binoculars are made in Japan and are pretty good if anyone is looking for an even more compact pair. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic