OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Got the gun urge...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2015 at 15:32
Just want to find the "right" one. Soon, very soon!!!
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2015 at 15:32
Yippee
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2015 at 21:40
I'm currently researching a Flintlock to use for PA's 2 week flintlock/late Archery Deer season.

So far I'm leaning heavily towards the Traditions "PA Pellet Accelerator" Flint 50 Cal.  Styled along the lines of a Hawkens with a  26" barrel.

The thing I like about it other than it's one of the cheapest decent quality flint muzzle loaders available is that it has been modernized to the farthest limits and still get the PA DNR's blessing that it qualities for use during Flintlock season.  It has upgraded fiber optic open sites, removable breach plug capable of using both powder or pellets, oversized and hardened frizzen and is EASY to clean...

Hey Skip!  You deal with or have a line on Traditions Precision Firearms?!?!?Wink

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2015 at 04:25
Lyman yes Traditions no. Don't even use the word pellets stick with loose!

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2015 at 06:24
Guy lives in PA. and wants to use some modernized whang fangdangled flintlock to shoot deer.
Don't he know that PA. is famous for it's flintlock long rifles? Don't he know PA. still has builders of custom flintlock rifles? I'm sure if he even cruised some gun shops he could find a good used one.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2015 at 06:28
Bud's pretty thrifty!

Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2015 at 08:50
Take a look at the Wilson Combat Beretta Brigadier Tactical

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2015 at 11:32
Thanks Marine! I have looked / inquired about them. The current wait is 6-10 weeks. Ya never know. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2015 at 17:25
YEP ThRIFTY BY NECESSITY!!! 
My main attraction to the Traditions PA Pellet Flintlock is the removable breach plug not the claim about pellets.  I intend to use loose powder and am hoping BH209 will work it it without teasing or duplexing...
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2015 at 17:30
Nope BH 209 won't work, can't get enough flash and Traditions won't warranty the use of 209. The very best way to go with that rifle is real black powder. No subs. It's just better.

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2015 at 17:42
Also, most of what I'm reading indicates the Traditions "PA Pellet" has stronger hammer leaf spring, hardened oversized frizzen and straight fire hole port which equates to a more reliable ignition system then both TC Hawkens and Lyman Flints.  Both Lyman and TC Hawkens use coil springs for the hammers
 for longer spring life.  Problem is they are weaker then the leaf spring in the Pa Pellet so the sparks generated aren't as hot or plentiful.
--Thomas Jefferson

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2015 at 17:48
PA is so far behind the times its pitiful!

But what can I say I live in NY.

Bud why not hunt with a spear!

Clean the rifle every you shoot the POS and smile!

Or hunt with a spear.

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2015 at 18:27
Well that's why I was hoping to get BH209 to work as it is definitely cleaner than BP.  I have a pound of 2F Goex now.  Tomorrow I'll see if my local Gshop "the Powderhorn" has 4F in stock.  He is one of the few area shops that stock and sell BP.....

I'm reading where a lot of guys just use 3F all around since 4F is so hard to locate.
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2015 at 18:33
Originally posted by Peddler Peddler wrote:

PA is so far behind the times its pitiful!

But what can I say I live in NY.

Bud why not hunt with a spear!

Clean the rifle every you shoot the POS and smile!

Or hunt with a spear.

PA is archaic in many things.  We actually have two different muzzleloader seasons.  Early season is one week and anything muzzle loaded goes.  Late Muzzleloader season is 2 weeks and restricted to Archery and Flintlocks only.

If you study PA history you'll find it rich in BP gun manufacturing history and there are several private Gshops that currently build accurate reproductions...  They are beautiful but they start at about $1200 and go up from their.  I'm wanting a Hunting Flintlock, a beater, so I'm opting for the Synth Stock.

--Thomas Jefferson

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2015 at 19:17
Rich in history means PA needs to wake up because it's today not yesterday. You can't bring it back, think about it maybe.......

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2015 at 06:34

Rich in history means PA needs to wake up because it's today not yesterday. You can't bring it back, think about it maybe.......

Typical New Yorker.....just doesn't understandSad Pacer

My brother builds some nice rifles. He is no master rifle builder, but they look good and work like they're supposed to. Probably more representative of what was carried by D. Crocket, and D. Boone than those highly engraved rifles you find now.
But don't ask my brother to build you one. I gave him all the parts to build me a rifle 30 years ago, and he just informed me that he's going to use the parts to build his youngest grandson a rifle.
I don't mind loosing the stock, barrel, and other parts, but I really don't want to loose the Hadaway lock.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2015 at 06:40
Hadaway Shmadaway try taking that to a three gun match!

😎

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2015 at 07:21

Hadaway Shmadaway try taking that to a three gun match!

😎

You mean rifle, musket, and tomahawk?

They have those matches at Friendship Indiana, headquarters of the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association in the primative area.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2015 at 07:46
I have an old friend who competed there. He was a machinist and built all of his flintlocks himself. He was a phenomenal shooter and actually started me in black powder. He always wanted me to use one of his rifles to hunt with. I shot a lot of his flintlocks but never hunted with one. I always used the less primitive ones. I killed three deer with his rifles and then got serious and bought my TC G2. He told me that I was going to Hell for doing that. At 100 yards offhand he would shoot as well or better than most guys off a bench.
He is now living in a Veterans home after a couple of strokes. Spoke with him yesterday and I'm still amazed at what he remembers. He's about 100 miles from me but I stop and visit when my travels take me in that direction. We talk on the phone frequently.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic