OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

6.5 Creedmoor scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6.5 Creedmoor scope
    Posted: December/20/2015 at 22:07
I recently put together a 6.5 creedmoor on a short action savage. Main purpose of this gun is range fun and as a gun to use in fowl weather hunting when I don't want to take out my wood stocked '06. I choose an 18"barrel to make it easy handling in the woods. Where I hunt deer shots are never over 300, and those are rare. Most is thick woods with shooting lanes. I have a Bushnell 4200 3-9x40 on there now but want to upgrade. I'm 99% set on a Leupold VX R. But not sure on which one. Thought maybe a 2-7 for the wide fov for the woods but would I be handicapping the cartridge by such low power. Should I step up to the 3-9 or even the 4-12? The firedot may compensate for the narrower fov of the 4-12 if quick shots are needed. Just needed to bounce these ideas off the optics experts. Thanks.

Here a pic of it now.

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2015 at 04:38
Pretty, I love my Creed, it wears a Leica ERi 2.5-10 X 42 # 4 reticle.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2015 at 17:47
Very cool. What type of trigger is that? BC stock? 

I have and really like the VX-R 3-9x with Firedot Duplex. That said, if I had it to do over again, I'd go with the #4 Firedot.  

Glass wise, I think the Bushnell 4200 may be better, but I've never had them side to side either.   
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
03mossy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2015 at 20:40
It's a Rifle Basix trigger. And yes a Bell and Carlson stock. Just screwed the barrel on Saturday. Haven't even shot it yet.
I do like the Bushnell scope and the glass is really very good. It's the reticle I'm not a huge fan of. I had it on my 30-06 before and shot a bear in Sept with 15 mins to go in legal shooting time. In the woods and against the black fur another minute and I wouldn't have been able to make the shot. So I'm look for about the same glass but a better reticle for low light in the woods.
saltydog235 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltydog235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2015 at 21:12
3X9X40 Trijicon Accupoint with the BAC reticle.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2015 at 05:01
Originally posted by 03mossy 03mossy wrote:

It's a Rifle Basix trigger. And yes a Bell and Carlson stock. Just screwed the barrel on Saturday. Haven't even shot it yet.
I do like the Bushnell scope and the glass is really very good. It's the reticle I'm not a huge fan of. I had it on my 30-06 before and shot a bear in Sept with 15 mins to go in legal shooting time. In the woods and against the black fur another minute and I wouldn't have been able to make the shot. So I'm look for about the same glass but a better reticle for low light in the woods.

I gotcha. The Firedot is a great fix for that. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
03mossy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2015 at 10:00
Any advice on which power level? I want to order the scope Monday and am really torn. The 2-7 I think would be the smartest move for hunting. As I do a lot of still hunting down trails in thick woods. On the other hand the rifle will only be hunted a few times a year and will be shot at the range working on loads the rest of the year so the 4-12 is appealing. Help!
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2015 at 10:51
Not sure what your budget is, but have you considered doing two scopes. The 2-7 would be great for hunting and plenty for a 300yds shot. And a SS 12x or a 16x max for range work. And if you go that route I would get two sets of rings as well. Much easier to switch scopes. You will still need to check your zero. But it will be easier as well to re-zero if you already have the scope in rings.

Very nice rifle BTW!

Does the velocity drop very much when going down to an 18 inch barrel?
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2015 at 10:54
I'd go the 2-7x for hunting. It is helpful to be able to easily swap in a high magnification scope for testing loads. It doesn't have to be a particularly good one to shoot groups at 100.
03mossy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2015 at 21:01
For right now a second scope is really out of the question. I think my best bet is go with the 2-7 now and see how I like it. If I do really want more magnification I'll jump that hurdle when I get there.
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2015 at 10:12
You may find that just changing around targets obviates the need for higher magnification. I like to use a big circle with lighter colored small circle the same width at the reticle. If I divided the big one evenly and cannot see the color of the small, I know I'm dead on. There are other ways that suit others better, but that is the drift.  Enjoy that new scope!
Code4 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Code4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2015 at 19:12
Get a Kahles. You won't regret it.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2015 at 19:21
Originally posted by Code4 Code4 wrote:

Get a Kahles. You won't regret it.

Are there any guns left in your country?
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Citypointslim View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citypointslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2015 at 15:37
My choice would be the Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42 Plex. Beautiful glass with tons of adjustment !
03mossy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2015 at 17:01
So life through me a curveball in a good way. A deal on a vx6 2-12 fell into my lap. So the new vx6 is going on my 30-06 and I'll either leave the bushnell on the creedmoor or move the Zeiss Conquest 3-9 that was on the 06 over to the creedmoor.
muleystalker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muleystalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2016 at 22:43
Check out the SWFA 3-15x40 I have 2 of them and love them. Great glass, bullet proof, i just shot a 600Y and 1000Y f-class shoot on sunday with it on my 6.5 creedmoor and it did great. They make several models now, FFP, SFP, and SFP ranging reticle that might be great for wooded area of hunting. Check them out.3 power is plenty low in wooded areas.
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2016 at 19:08
Magnification range is definitely a personal choice.  For your description of use I'd opt for 2-10x, 3-9x or 2-7x in that order.  But that is just my opinion.  I am running a SWFA SS 3-15x on my Creedmoor but it is a heavy rifle that I won't carry around.  For a hunting rig that might see lots of carry time scope weight would be a consideration for me and I would not choose the SS 3-15x as much as I like that scope.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic