OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

athlon rifle scopes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickin45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2016 at 09:28
I agree.

So what conclusion have we arrived at on the scopes?
Their top tier seem to be pretty nice, but at their higher price point, several other top brands come into the picture.

All the other scopes they make are Chinese. I'd rather not spend $3-400 on a Chinese made scope. Phillipines I wouldn't hesitate and own several Phil made scopes. Excellent quality and glass in my experience.
I've never had good fortune with Chinese made scopes. I've tried Hawke, Falcon ands few other "upper tier" CH made scopes. Tracking has always been off a bit and the glass on both is quite hazey at higher mags.
This was about 4 years ago, so unless the QC has come up severely, I'll stay away from the Chinese made scopes.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2016 at 09:57
OT is a hot range. If you make statements, your gonna have to back it up to some degree.

As Bud alluded to, we've had our fair share of spooks come through here proclaiming the virtues of some new company.

Carry on.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2016 at 21:46
Excellent

" Can I go get a beer now? "  

Visit the Ed Show
fiveshotdot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fiveshotdot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2016 at 00:32
I spoke with Trent today at Athlon and got some insight on a few things. He and the owner both came from another "elite" scope manufacturing company. Their top tier scopes use the same glass as other "elite" scopes on the market. (Or that is what I understood) they are planning on Offering 2 spotting scopes in the argos line with reticles next year . BTR is a designatiin for illuminated reticle. Their midas btr series is meant to compete with the pst and leupy mk4?(don't quote me on that one). They plan on putting out a lower magnification ffp cronus in the near future as well.
As of now this is all the information I can recall. I left my notes in my shop at work. I will also be taking a trip to their facility in the coming week amd will check back in here. A friend and myself will be checking on becoming dealers if we like what we see.
Instagram ID tactidad
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2016 at 07:12
It's always good to have another quality scope manufacturer to choose from.

I hope they turn out to have the right mindset and drive to put out quality affordable optics...
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2016 at 07:30
FWIW, it doesn't appear many dealers are knocking their doors down to buy their scopes. I just googled dealers within 500 miles and not one appeared.

Maybe it's to early in the game to tell, maybe they will be OK.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2016 at 07:59
Question is will they just re-spin the Elites they are familiar with or will they break some new ground...

If re-spun elites are all they will do I don't expect them to last long at all.

Secondly, Only their top o line is Japanese, all the rest are Chinese.  This doesn't gmake me warm and fuzzy...     China can put out decent optics but the QC policing required kills the cost savings for OEM...
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

kickin45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickin45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2016 at 09:08
I as well hope they succeed in ther endeavors.
driller2948 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote driller2948 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2016 at 12:43
Newbie here!

I pulled the trigger on a Talos 4-14X44 ffp.  Mainly a hunter and don’t own any high end scopes. This scope will be mounted on my new SWFA/Seekins .223 wylde AR15 varmint gun.  Will be compared to a couple of Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 VMR-1 MRAD FFP Reticle.  One is mounted on a Savage model 12VLP .308, the other custom savage model 12VLP 6mm AI Brux bull barrel. 

I know there is a lot of skepticism about Athlon and their Chinese product scopes.  I was on a budget and the other options in no particular order. Falcon Menace, Primary Arms, Burris.  Not kidding myself, usually tend to get what you pay for.  Out of all I mentioned and a few others I didn’t.  This scope just seemed to fit my intended purpose with a budget in place.  All in all it would make a very nice scope for my 10/22. Will let you know what I think within the next week or so! Solute!          

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2016 at 12:53
Welcome to the OT 2948!!! Howdy

We'd definitely be interested in any detailed review! 
--Thomas Jefferson

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2016 at 14:03
The first time you walk into a car dealership to buy a car, the salesman is your buddy, wants to help, and is immensely knowledgeable of not only his offering but the offering of others, right?  After all, he sells cars, he is a professional, he only has my best interests at heart, right?

After buying 5 or more cars, I bet you walk into a dealership with a VERY different mindset, attitude, and set of expectations.

Some of us have bought more than 100 scopes, used hundreds more, and have done this dance many, many times before.

There exists, within the natural universe, possible events and probabilities of those events.  It is not statistically impossible that a person could have a heart attack while being bitten by a shark that is being struck by lightning.  The probabilities of each event is low, of all events simultaneously occurring, even lower, but always with a non-zero probability.

Hearing that a $300 scope is in every way the equal of a well established $1500 scope (with a stellar reputation for optic, mechanical precision, and support), and that said $300 comes from a new maker, that statement gets a well-deserved probability, non-zero, but close.

A guy once told me that a VW bug was the fastest production car in the world in the first 75 feet.  Saying it didn't make it true, no matter how emphatic he was.

We are welcoming and always want to hear new things.  It helps if we can comprehend the statements made, that requires a certain agreement about how written language works.

Your experiences might well differ from mine, each is a data point, one neither proves nor disproves the other; but I do have lots of data points!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2016 at 14:19
Excellent Excellent Excellent  Well said RC.

Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2016 at 15:55
+1!
driller2948 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote driller2948 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2016 at 18:03
Not drink'in tha coolaid just yet.  Horse Poop 
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2016 at 18:08
😎👀

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2016 at 20:36
Jeff doesn't NEED cuss words.... Excellent
--Thomas Jefferson

Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2016 at 22:03
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

The deciding factor for binos is the same as it is for rifle scopes: intended use.  On a sunny day of casual birding, you might notice no difference.  In dense woods with lots of shadow, low light, and hours on glass, you really start to see how optics differ.

As Sparky said, if you see no difference for your uses, awesome; but others using the optic under different circumstances might see things differently, literally.

I get the same question often on AR15s: why pay $3,000 for one when you can pay $800 for almost the exact same thing.  This is somewhat true.  And if you will be shooting 100 rounds/year, you'll see little difference.  If you ever put 2,000 rounds through both in a day, the differences become obvious really quick.

No one is saying you aren't seeing what you are seeing, we are simply pointing out that circumstances of use (and abuse) often make differences more obvious.
I just built an AR-15 for my daughter.  I bought it a part at a time.  I purchased nothing but the best available parts.  It cost every bit as much as the other high-end ARs that are sold already assembled. It shoots every bit as well as any AR on any range.  I guess my point is, you can get an AR now for around $500 -$600.  But it's going to be a 4 to 5 MOA rifle rather than a 1/4 - 1/2 MOA rifle.

Edited by Magnumdood - February/02/2016 at 22:10
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
wranglerdog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wranglerdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2016 at 22:49
Bud perm ill start off by saying you and your little group here should put a warning lable on this fourm saying speak at your own risk . let me explain i have never heard such remarks about one guy offering a helping opinion about a $360.00 scope . the statments i made about the athlon scope were made because someone ask for for some knowledge about the scope and no one on the fourm had any answers other than myself at that time .

Just to clear up a few things. i proably have as much experience in hunting and shooting than anyone on this fourm
I personally own the four scopes that i was useing as an example i wasn't just throwing out a bunch of bullsh*t .

i am still standing behind what i said about the athlon scope how ever that is my personal opinion and untill you can prove me wrong i wouldnt be so quick to pounce on my statement.

Have a great day.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2016 at 03:50
Lighten up, Francis......We get it...you like Athlon. 

Edited by cheaptrick - February/03/2016 at 04:18
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
fiveshotdot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fiveshotdot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2016 at 16:27
Just to let you all know, I will be visiting Athlons Lenexa, ks location to preview their scopes. I will try to post a youtube link after my visit.
Instagram ID tactidad
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
  Share Topic