OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

athlon rifle scopes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote driller2948 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2016 at 11:24
Athlon Talos BTR 4-14X44 APLR2 FFP

Before purchasing this scope I tried fooling myself into thinking it would compare to the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 VMR-1 MRAD FFP.  But now after having the Talos in my hands I realize it’s not fair or practical to compare a $270 scope to a $900 scope.  All though I only paid $180!

The turrets have distinct positive clicks, but are a little mushy with some play, but acceptable.

The magnification travel is a little wide, but again acceptable.    

The reticle imo is absolutely awesome and surpasses its price.  

The glass imo far surpasses its price.  It’s good and it’s clear, but not elite glass.   

Now as far as tracking and holding zero, not getting a chance to check for a couple weeks due to other obligations. 

I really like the looks of the scope so far.  As for the $270 price!  In my opinion I feel the features this scope brings to the table is a pretty damn good bargain.  I can’t wait to go out and play!           

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2016 at 11:57
Wranglerdog, maybe I started this off on the wrong footing, let's start over.

Please explain to me, in as much detail as you can, your process for evaluating the optical clarity, the mechanical repeatability, and the overall quality of a rifle scope.

With that, I can begin to weight your opinions.

I have not used that or any other Athlon scope, so you most definitely have data in hand I do not.  That said, I have extensive experience with Zeiss and Nightforce.
To which specific Zeiss and Nightforce scopes were you comparing the Athlon?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2016 at 11:57
Hope it performs to your satisfaction.  After-all that's what really counts right?
Just about everything one experiences twinges of buyer's remorse....
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

driller2948 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote driller2948 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2016 at 12:27
Buyers remorse every time I buy a new diesel truck   
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2016 at 17:14
Heard dat!  Their MSRPs are ridiculous!!!!!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2016 at 17:45
Originally posted by driller2948 driller2948 wrote:

Buyers remorse every time I buy a new diesel truck   

NO REASON TO BUY A DIESIL UNLESS YOU ARE GOING TO PULL SOMETHING BIG OR RUN 500,00 MILES.

OR MORE.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote driller2948 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2016 at 17:52
My 2000 F-250 has 506,000 on it son driving it now! 2013 GMC 2500 already has 175,000 I rack up 60k a year in travel and pull a monster 5th wheel behind me about 25% of the time and a few other haulers!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote driller2948 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2016 at 17:59
FORGOT TO ASK! WHAT DO U DRIVE PEDDLER? PLEASE DON'T SAY A "RICER"
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2016 at 18:21
Nope I'm just a peddler living in snow country and a fwd works fine.The only thing I pull might be a whitetail home on a hitch carrier.Thats cuz I'm too old to put him on the roof!!!

It's just easier at my age.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote driller2948 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2016 at 18:35
Well Peddler, your just starting to rub me a little the wrong way!  At the young age of 49 years, I just don't get your hummer.  But sometimes friendships take time, and I still got plenty of that!    
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2016 at 19:05
Well driller I only do about 30 and at my age that's all I care to do. I've never done 60 but did 50 for about 10 years but never had to pull anything like you. I'm sure that's a real chore. I have a very good friend that's a diesel foreman in a big shop and he says don't buy one unless you pull something big or want to keep it for a long time.

Didn't mean to rub you the wrong way by any means and I can proudly say I've never owned any " Ricer ".

I used to drive General Motors till they went bankrupt and didn't pay anything back, now I wouldn't p==s on them if they were on fire.

We have two Explorers.

😎😎😎

kickin45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickin45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2016 at 19:22
Let's stay on topic boys. If ya wanna talk trucks, use a different forum
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote driller2948 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2016 at 19:34
No Pics

how do you post a pic?  I'm just a grasshopper, but don't see option??? 
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2016 at 19:37
Originally posted by kickin45 kickin45 wrote:

Let's stay on topic boys. If ya wanna talk trucks, use a different forum

Really??

kickin45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickin45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2016 at 19:44
[QUOTE=driller2948] <span style="line-height: 1.4;">Athlon Talos BTR 4-14X44 APLR2 FFP</span><p ="Msonormal"><o:p></o:p>

<p ="Msonormal">Before purchasing this scope I tried fooling myself into
thinking it would compare to the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 VMR-1 MRAD FFP.  But now after having the Talos in my hands I realize
it’s not fair or practical to compare a $270 scope to a $900 scope.  All though I only paid $180!

Where did you get it from? That's a great deal. That's inexpensive enough to purchase one and give it a good run through on a few of my long sticks.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote driller2948 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2016 at 19:58
I have to admit A blind squirrel gets a nut every once in a while!
COMPETITOR
I ordered while in stock.  Small company.  All went to Shot show.  Kevin said they would ship Monday after shot show!  They sold out at shot!  Gave me a 30% discount but had to wait extra 10 days. That's how.

Blind squirrel Bucky

Read and follow the rules you are required to acknowledge when you sign up.

Edited by Kickboxer - February/05/2016 at 06:23
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote driller2948 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2016 at 20:00
COMPETITOR

Edited by Kickboxer - February/05/2016 at 06:24
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2016 at 04:31
Driller read the forum rules please.SWFA gives us this forum to converse on and one of the most important rules is not talking about competing companies.

Thanks for your consideration.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote driller2948 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2016 at 07:20
Even a blind squirrel has a brain fart every once in awhile Thunbs Up  
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2016 at 10:42
It happens.   
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
  Share Topic