OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

athlon rifle scopes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wranglerdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2016 at 22:29
It will be nice to here what you think about your new purchase ,I just purchased Athlon areas spotting scope and love it.
TOP PREDATOR View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TOP PREDATOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2016 at 14:58
ok it's named optics talk

perhaps rename it SS talk.
"a craftsman can't realize full potential, without finding the potential of the tools used..."
TOP PREDATOR View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TOP PREDATOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2016 at 15:04
might as well get rid of the links to the COMPETITOR and the Hide too.
"a craftsman can't realize full potential, without finding the potential of the tools used..."
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2016 at 15:12
Got a burr under yer saddle, Top? 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2016 at 17:47
SS are good scopes, but hardly all we recommend.

Hide has some good info, but since it went Scout, far too many bullsh*tters to be of much use. It's like they let everyone in Special Forces, now everyone is a badass.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2016 at 15:49
Cat got your tongue, Top? 

I mean you did the whole "double post" move with expert timing and flair....

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2016 at 22:15
I bit on this.

I have received a Athlon Talos 4-14FFP that had over the stated mils of 20 and it tracked perfectly.

Edge to edge was clear, had a great ability to resolve things from 10M to infinity and was very generous in eye relief.  It had very little tunneling at 4x and looked great at 14x the reticle was executed very well and was easy to read.  It did not have great color perception to me it did not distort colors but they were not as rich or deep... the color of light blue became somewhat more greyish,  I had the rooftop of of a house in view when a robin landed on it and the oranges matched but the grey blue siding looked a little different where as the Athlon looked a little greyer to my eyes...

It was built like a hammer but did not seem like typical overbuilt product that lacks in quality it was very well finished.  It was packaged well and had one of the nicer boxes I have ever received a scope in...Very sexy but not glossy and flashy just nicely executed..A nice touch.

The bikini covers were the only thing that resembled Chinese quality of old...

Again it tracked spot on up to 25mils as that was my test chart once anchored in...

The reticle lined up perfectly as it should have.

For $250-$350 this is going to be hard to beat at that price point and will give scopes costing 2-3x as much a run for the money...

I wish I could have reported this was a scam or a piece of junk out of the box or was sloppy turrets that did not hold or were not repeatable and that the glass was the typical junk we have all come to expect from these budget scopes...

Whatever they are doing or whomever they are having produce these scopes and assemble them are doing it properly the quality measures seem to be top rate.  I am a little puzzled by why they only list having 20 mils what I received had one full rev more than expected.  Maybe I received the 1 of 100 but I doubt it.

It came with a manual for any questions a novice might have on a scope with Mil Hash /marks.  It did a great job of explaining the features of the scopes and answering any questions that might arise.  Another nice addition along with the box simple and easy, really how hard can it be to have a nice manual with a nice box.  Some scopes you receive nothing now a days and pay 2-4 times this price.

Here are some pics and some info on the scope I received.

FEATURES

First Focal Plane ReticleFirst focal plane design allows you to fully utilize specially designed reticles that shrink or grow along with your target as you zoom in or out. These reticles offer quick target engagement at low power while offering precise holdover positions with finer details.
Illuminated ReticleThe illuminated reticle provides greater visibility during dusk and dawn and other low ambient light environment.
Etched Glass ReticleReticle etched on the glass that provides excellent backing support for complex reticle design and offers great durability and much higher shock resistance to recoil
Fully MulticoatedFully Multicoated optics effectively reduces reflected light and increases the transmission of light giving you a brighter image than normal single coated lenses
Aircraft Grade AluminumAircraft Grade Aluminum provide extra strength and durability to handle the toughest terrain and offers lifetime of use.
Heat Treated One Piece Tube ConstructionHeat treated one piece tube gives the scope extra strength over multi-piece tubes. A one piece tube also is better at keeping moisture out thus keeping your scope fog proof for the life of the product
WaterproofWaterproof to protect the scope in the harshest weather conditions or if accidently submerged underwater
Fog proofFog proof to allow you to immediately engage your target when you take your rifle to cold ambient temperature from warm inside
ShockproofRobust mechanical system with special designs on both control and erector system that give you the ultimate recoil resistance to withstand 1000G recoil for 1000 times.
Nitrogen PurgedNitrogen purging dramatically reduces the moisture inside the tube and helps maintaining fogproof and waterproof.

Marketing paragraph from website...

If you ask any hunter they’ll tell they probably have filled more tags in the low-light hours than any other time. With that said, it would be wise to design a scope to excel in early-morning and late-evening light. With the Talos BTR cope with Athlon Advanced multi-coated lenses for clarity and brightness in low light, you’ll be able to add precious minutes to every hunting day that you’ve worked hard for. These scopes, with their 4X magnification range, will give you great versatility whether you are hunting whitetails in the dense southern pine forest of Georgia or prairie dogs in on the wide open ranges of Wyoming.   With one-piece tube design, the Talos BTR line includes an assortment of specialty scopes for big-game, varmint, MSR’s, 22 rimfire, slug, black powder and turkey hunting.

This Talos BTR4-14×44 Model has APLR2 first focal plane illuminated MIL reticle in it. Please click the line or go to Specification to download the reticle instruction manual for more details…

APLR2 FFP IR MIL 4-14x44 reticle

Magnification4-14
Objective Lens Diameter44 mm
Reticle APLR2 FFP IR  MIL
Surface FinishMatte  
Lens CoatingWide Band Fully Multicoated  
Tube MaterialAircraft grade aluminum
Tube Diameter30 mm
Exit Pupil 11.2-3.3 mm
Eye Relief3.23-3.15 inches
Field of View @100 yards27.2-7.85 feet
Click Value0.1 MIL
Adjustment range per rotation6 MIL
Total Elevation Adjustment20 MIL
Total Windage Adjustment20 MIL
Turret StyleExposed
Parallax AdjustmentSide Focus – 10 yards to infinity
Purging MaterialNitrogen
Length13.1"
Weight23.6 oz
User Instruction ManualDownload 
Reticle Manual Download 

Stock Photo.  

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - March/30/2016 at 10:00
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2016 at 23:20
Side note.

As seen above the reticle has some nice features.

I am not to excitable about Illumination as I punch paper in broad daylight...
wranglerdog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wranglerdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2016 at 05:21
What can I say , I just decided to let athlon do the talking for me
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2016 at 08:51
It will be interesting to see how this scope holds up, retains POI, etc.  I've had a few Chinese binoculars that had fantastic glass, but the "Chinese build" gradually and eventually came out.... stuff just sort of loosened up, etc. 

Good luck with it and keep us in the loop. 
wranglerdog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wranglerdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2016 at 09:24
Yes sir ,that is a concern I have sent over 500 rounds down the tube of my 7 mag and things are holding up just like the first day I used it , but the good thing is the warenty I'm sure some will have issues but they come with every thing ,

I have purchased one of there spotting scopes and it is just as clear as my sons vortec very impressed.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2016 at 09:39
Wranlerdog, First welcome!

Everything that has transpired thus far on this post heading has been truthful to the own posters experience, as best as they know with the limited worldview each own person has...

Above you didn't hear me reference any other brands specifically, I didn't say it was the worlds best or competes with any Alpha glass or Euro Glass or the Leupy(any) or Nightforce(any) glass.

It is kinda like the Optisan 1-4x24 Black Mamba of years past it is a deal at the price but you cannot start comparing it to the next step in class until it proves itself in the long run.

It is possible and has been proven to be true for a release of a scope such as this to vary from batch to batch or container to container, some times these scope assemblers/resellers or stated manufacturers order Qty 500 or Qty 1000 of a scope and get a great first batch (due to the factories trying to impress the customer and deliver top rate product and glass only to get the second or third order and start cutting corners).  

I know of a trusted Re-brander or Re-seller who has seen this practice in or on orders over Qty of 2000 pieces and all of them had to be shipped back as they did not meet the specifications that were designed or engineered by the customer.  The result was every scope in the batch not meeting the Design Spec. and the Re-seller/Re-brander having to send them back and have all customers waiting for months after they had already promised a delivery date as the shipment was inbound and they could track the shipment (Note, they could not track the quality!. This wasn't even from China it was from Japan!).

So I hope you read the above and get where most everyone was coming from.  

The people or community of Opticstalk is not like any other on the net...While it seems we are loyal and we do have scopes that have held up from  SWFA and have found the SWFA SS Non-HD and HD scopes to hold up well overtime and be a very good bang for the buck.

You will find that most of the core posters have had many scopes in their possession at some time and have many years with all the major brands of scopes and try any new scope from the major manufacturers when they come out and will be the first to recognize value and features of the scope and try help other posters find what they want with the list of needs and price ranges being considered.

Admittedly, what you will also find is someone who says" I am looking for a 3-9 that I would like to do some target shooting with and maybe go hunting from time to time I want a good solid build that can get me to 1000yrds and be good low light to go hunting with."  Then they say the budget is $500. 

(Here is where some people say here comes the jaded SWFA or Optics Talk referred to as OT SS,  but I argue that is not at all the intentions of the great people on this forum)

Some people might suggest that the poster if at all possible can increase his budget to $599 he can get the SWFA SS HD 3-9 and have a great scope that meets his needs.

Back on topic.

Again only time will tell from batch to batch and if Athlon enacts or implements a protocol or has a quality standards or quality checks for every scope inbound that it be thoroughly tested in every way.

I have heard the rumors as well and it seems although this is only speculation that Nikon and Bushnell and possibly others have lost some key employees that has led to the formation of Athlon Optics.  They have stated they want to be known for having the highest quality available at the price point that meets the demands of the budget minded consumer to exceed all others at the same pricepoint to offer a value that is second to none and want to bring the prices down on the market overall so that quality scopes that offer precision and exactness and top end glass can be had by all. Go to the Web and check news and events by them.

I am not jumping on the Athlon wagon but again refer to this at this time as a similar product to the Black Mamba or Optisan Mamba 1-4 we saw a few years back...

I think ILya has a review pending and actually talked with them or stopped by the booth at Shot and was getting some product sent to him for review as well...
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2016 at 11:03
Sorting this out usually takes a bit of time.  My Zen Ray ED3 binocs had fantastic optics and a pretty decent build quality when new.  A year later after substantial use, glass was still awesome and build quality not so much.  Customer service went south as well.  The Leupold McKinley was much the same, but Leupy will always make things right so I gave them to my neighbor's kid. 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2016 at 13:22
I am currently looking at Cronus 1-6x24 riflescope and Athlon Ares 7.5-22x50 mini spotter.

I like what I see so far.

ILya

Originally posted by 338LAPUASLAP 338LAPUASLAP wrote:

Wranlerdog, First welcome!

Everything that has transpired thus far on this post heading has been truthful to the own posters experience, as best as they know with the limited worldview each own person has...

Above you didn't hear me reference any other brands specifically, I didn't say it was the worlds best or competes with any Alpha glass or Euro Glass or the Leupy(any) or Nightforce(any) glass.

It is kinda like the Optisan 1-4x24 Black Mamba of years past it is a deal at the price but you cannot start comparing it to the next step in class until it proves itself in the long run.

It is possible and has been proven to be true for a release of a scope such as this to vary from batch to batch or container to container, some times these scope assemblers/resellers or stated manufacturers order Qty 500 or Qty 1000 of a scope and get a great first batch (due to the factories trying to impress the customer and deliver top rate product and glass only to get the second or third order and start cutting corners).  

I know of a trusted Re-brander or Re-seller who has seen this practice in or on orders over Qty of 2000 pieces and all of them had to be shipped back as they did not meet the specifications that were designed or engineered by the customer.  The result was every scope in the batch not meeting the Design Spec. and the Re-seller/Re-brander having to send them back and have all customers waiting for months after they had already promised a delivery date as the shipment was inbound and they could track the shipment (Note, they could not track the quality!. This wasn't even from China it was from Japan!).

So I hope you read the above and get where most everyone was coming from.  

The people or community of Opticstalk is not like any other on the net...While it seems we are loyal and we do have scopes that have held up from  SWFA and have found the SWFA SS Non-HD and HD scopes to hold up well overtime and be a very good bang for the buck.

You will find that most of the core posters have had many scopes in their possession at some time and have many years with all the major brands of scopes and try any new scope from the major manufacturers when they come out and will be the first to recognize value and features of the scope and try help other posters find what they want with the list of needs and price ranges being considered.

Admittedly, what you will also find is someone who says" I am looking for a 3-9 that I would like to do some target shooting with and maybe go hunting from time to time I want a good solid build that can get me to 1000yrds and be good low light to go hunting with."  Then they say the budget is $500. 

(Here is where some people say here comes the jaded SWFA or Optics Talk referred to as OT SS,  but I argue that is not at all the intentions of the great people on this forum)

Some people might suggest that the poster if at all possible can increase his budget to $599 he can get the SWFA SS HD 3-9 and have a great scope that meets his needs.

Back on topic.

Again only time will tell from batch to batch and if Athlon enacts or implements a protocol or has a quality standards or quality checks for every scope inbound that it be thoroughly tested in every way.

I have heard the rumors as well and it seems although this is only speculation that Nikon and Bushnell and possibly others have lost some key employees that has led to the formation of Athlon Optics.  They have stated they want to be known for having the highest quality available at the price point that meets the demands of the budget minded consumer to exceed all others at the same pricepoint to offer a value that is second to none and want to bring the prices down on the market overall so that quality scopes that offer precision and exactness and top end glass can be had by all. Go to the Web and check news and events by them.

I am not jumping on the Athlon wagon but again refer to this at this time as a similar product to the Black Mamba or Optisan Mamba 1-4 we saw a few years back...

I think ILya has a review pending and actually talked with them or stopped by the booth at Shot and was getting some product sent to him for review as well...
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2016 at 18:14
Originally posted by wranglerdog wranglerdog wrote:

What can I say , I just decided to let athlon do the talking for me

Do you notice the difference between your post on your Athlon and 338Lapuaslap's post on his Athlon??
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2016 at 21:16
I would hope a lot of difference can be found.

I was afraid he was doing a dis-service to Athlon as he was touting them.  Near sounding a bit off track or off the beaten path.  Maybe the way I sound about the Sightron line of SIII, S-Tac and Big Sky II at times or at least when I found them...

I hope that I maybe even cleared some things up.

I would not say that the glass is superior or is second to none.  

That is a very big statement and is very biased but again we all see a little differently. 

Some people are even unable to distinguish certain colors through no fault of their own. As age progresses the ability to distinguish colors and brightness and contrast can diminish as well as the ability to hear certain frequencies it is different for everyone as we all have different contributing factors leading to those particular losses...

I don't believe the glass for less than $300 can be ED (now marketed as HD/ED) or ELD, ULD or SLD, or LD glass. (Why didn't they just keep it ED?) and have all the features it does.  I am near certain when comparing to a scope that does have ED glass that the Talos is not ED as it is noticeable in that blue Vs. greying/graying or greyish/grayish blue I spoke of above.

This is again a budget optic...That meets its target market and even goes a few steps further in my mind.  

I know this is not even the the top 2 or 3 of the lines Athlon offers and each promises to be better than the next.  Up the food chain or the supply chain and production chain as it were is the Argos, then Midas, then Cronus...

I have been pleasantly surprised.

I really have a need for a budget minded optic that has the features of the $1,000+ scope.

These features include 20-25mils, .1mil increments and a reticle that can range across the magnification easily, FFP is a definite plus.  This reticle particularly like the Mil Quad can do many things and is unique combining many winning features of the EBR variants, Rapid Z, or 800/900 Gen 2XR or whatever and Christmas tree style reticles that are now abundant... The math is easy and translates well and is repeatable and functional.  It is easy to get behind you do not get lost....

I again wish that money was no issue but realistically my children are more important and so is their future.  With that said I do not like to throw all my ambitions and "needs" away and have just adjusted my list of priorities as with this scope you do not get perfect glass and their is some CA that is noticeable and some diminishing at the edges at times if you really try to focus on it, quick side note, I tried so hard to find it my eyes strained and hurt almost teary eyed trying to find fault and issues with the glass... It is not at all noticeable it really takes looking for issues, if you can call them that, to find them.

I am reviewing and have done some reading and have some clues that the Cronus(made in Japan) series that is competing against Hensoldt, March, Premier/Tangent Theta, and the Razor HD Gen II, Steiner, Swarovski, and Zeiss (abc order) does have ED glass that is from the best (Confirm with ILya) manufacturing facility known in Japan that has the highest Abbe Number or V-Number on the market or available with current engineering methods.  

About the lines made in China.

I am not in the know on how many manufacturing plants their are for this type of glass or how many assembly plants their are for this type of product but it seems that the line is diminishing quickly, from 20 years ago, vs 10 years ago and in the past few years it seems it is getting closer. 

I feel indifferent about China as a whole vs. the Reagan era but do we really have a choice.  Everything I buy for the kids for school and clothes and toys it seems is China. My Name brand labels even some of my old German labels are now China, I just noticed Bose speakers are now China and some Klipsch, and Northface, and even some USA tools are saying China now... 

How much do we owe China Now?  How big is the trade deficit?

Now I am rambling.  Carry on as some say...
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2016 at 13:00
To clear a few misconceptions.

The guys who run Athlon have a lot of experience in the is industry (having come from Bushnell, etc) and know all of the OEMs.  Athlon commitment is to quality and support.  I suspect that eventually, they will converge on some proprietary designs on their own, but for now they use existing designs from their OEMs with proprietary packaging and cosmetics.  Also, they have their own reticles which, to me, look pretty well designed.

Overall, Athlon is pretty well positioned to do well, since many people are fed up with poor service and support from some of the more established names in the industry.  That is one of the reasons Vortex was able to rise so quickly into being one of the

The Talos 4-14x44 is a good budget scope, but let us not jump to too many conclusions.
This same basic design has been around for a while and has seen use with other brands, for example Falcon Menace, is the same basic scope, as is Primary Arms 4-14x44.

Athlon does have their proprietary reticle which looks like a good design and I think I like it more than the Falcon reticle, but that will take a bit more testing.

ILya
Snack_Attack View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snack_Attack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2016 at 13:10
It would be pretty awesome if these actually perform well. A 4-14 ftp for $300, like the primary arms, just sounds too good to be true. You're asking for too much scope for the money. I even have skepticism for the SS 10x42
(of which I am contemplating the purchase), but it's a more reasonable expectation. A simple fixed target scope with fewer parts and lenses for the above mentioned price. But it would be nice if a man on a budget could have a scope that does what it's supposed to do. Glass aside, I would be stoked if it held zero and tracked well. As a noob I am skeptical as well, but if koshkin and the other knowledgeable optics gurus come back with a good verdict I will think there's actually something to this.
We've become a nation of wolves ruled by sheep, owned by swine, over fed, and put to sleep.

-Otep
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2016 at 13:13
Originally posted by Snack_Attack Snack_Attack wrote:

It would be pretty awesome if these actually perform well. A 4-14 ftp for $300, like the primary arms, just sounds too good to be true. You're asking for too much scope for the money. I even have skepticism for the SS 10x42
(of which I am contemplating the purchase), but it's a more reasonable expectation. A simple fixed target scope with fewer parts and lenses for the above mentioned price. But it would be nice if a man on a budget could have a scope that does what it's supposed to do. Glass aside, I would be stoked if it held zero and tracked well. As a noob I am skeptical as well, but if koshkin and the other knowledgeable optics gurus come back with a good verdict I will think there's actually something to this.

What skepticisim do you have regarding the SS 10x42?  It is easily one of the more proven designs in existence.  The basic design has been around forever and the changes made to it since the original introduction were primarily with some optical formulations to make it better.  The basic optomechanical system originated in mid 80s and is about as bulletproof as you can find these days.

ILya
Snack_Attack View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snack_Attack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2016 at 13:23
I just seem to be cursed when it comes to scopes.
We've become a nation of wolves ruled by sheep, owned by swine, over fed, and put to sleep.

-Otep
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
  Share Topic