OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Photography > Cameras, Equipment and Settings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Computers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2016 at 18:24
That would be called a raid 10. Your get the speed of two drives operating together and the redundancy of them being mirrored. Great choice. I just ordered a 4 bay synology today. Going to put 4, 6 terabyte hard drives in it in a raid 10 config
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2016 at 09:07
I did some counting last night.  I have 31 Seagate hard drives in use on my home network.  All of them have been in use for over 3 years.  Three of them for 5ish and two of them for 7ish.   But I did have 3 failures of some 2 tb drives about 4ish years back and one 1.5 tb 5 years back. 

Also did some reading last night and the western digital red drives have the head parking issue that the WD green drives have.  That is disappointing.  I have had a very high failure rate with the WD green drives in home server use.  (obviously not their intended use but...)

Lile, does your Seagate NAS have the actual NAS version drives in it or just desktop drives?  Just curious. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2016 at 11:58
Originally posted by Peddler Peddler wrote:

Wow!!!

I really wish I understood even a particle of that.

Sorry it shows my age and aversion to electronics that have passed me by.

BASICALLY he's saying he bought a fancy puter and it still works....
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2016 at 16:42
Y'all smart ass's think you can help me with my DVR?? Big Grin
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2016 at 02:39
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

That would be called a raid 10. Your get the speed of two drives operating together and the redundancy of them being mirrored. Great choice. I just ordered a 4 bay synology today. Going to put 4, 6 terabyte hard drives in it in a raid 10 config

RAID10 is my RAID level of choice.  I used 4 seagate 2TB drives to give me 4TB total.  I've had great luck with them so far.  I back up on USB type external drives and to carbonite.  I have envy of your setup you said earlier.  That's impressive.  I haven't gotten into the stand alone RAID boxes yet. 
Stamp collecting since 2015
WaterCam View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaterCam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2016 at 11:57
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

S, a number of other things… but for many years they have used the same processor… 
I have three Macs… two are 8 years old, still function fine (can't update them anymore, so one is not highly used, but IS still used).  One is a fairly recent purchase and has all the bells and whistles.  It is superb.
Since I bought the two earlier Macs, I've had 4 Dell laptops and two desktops at work… they just have not held up as well.  When they are working, performance-wise there is little difference between the brands.  I also have an Acer mini laptop that I've had since 2010… it is OK, but has always been pretty slow.  
For the graphics I require, Mac is "it".  However, PhotoShop works on both types.  
I do have a lot more problems with PC-type machines than Macs, some of it imposed by DoD.  
I'll never "change" from preferring Mac, unless Apple makes a drastic change in philosophy.  There are some poor, misguided, tortured souls who prefer PC's… may they someday become enlightened...

Yeah great post Kickboxer, if you got the money then a Mac is a great investment, I would take an old pre-owned Mac even an 8 year old over a Windows operating system almost any day. Use a Mac just dedicated to imagery or maybe music or film whatever work arty work you do, you can still keep your old Windows to browse the net but if you are serious about images the Mac is a smarter way
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2016 at 14:24
Having an older maybe used computer for dedicated photo/video work may be cost effective.  I have one question though about updates on the MAC.  My cousin has an old MAC book that he says is too old to update.  I think he's talking about the OS as a whole.  How long before you can't update the computer software?  Wouldn't you want a fairly recent OS/software to run the latest photoshop and lightroom programs?
Stamp collecting since 2015
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic