OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36 vs VX3L 3.5-10x50

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gdpolk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36 vs VX3L 3.5-10x50
    Posted: February/06/2016 at 09:55
My favorite rifle scope for hunting that I've tried thus far is the VX3 2.5-8x36 with Alumina flip covers.  Here is why; the VX3 2.5-8x36 is:
  • compact so there is less to drag through brush and poke you in the back
  • light weight
  • low mounting for improved compactness and improved handling
  • has an excellent field of view on 2.5x for hunting in close timber
  • the low power setting makes close in shots easy for shot placement whereas a higher magnification may wash out optically so all you see is a brown blob with no idea of where in the field of brown your looking at
  • bright and clear enough at dark thirty on lower powers in heavy timber with lots of shadows to easily identify buck vs doe or bull vs cow elk and count antler tines
  • the mid-higher end is bright and clear enough in more open areas at dark thirty to do the same
  • I don't need more than 8x to make clean shots on medium to large game animals out to 400-500 yards which is my functional limitation as a shooter in the field anyway, so I don't feel that a 12-14x high end magnification would do anything to benefit me
  • The Alumina flip covers are more durable, more water resistant, more quiet to open, and more streamlined than butler creek covers.  This makes them a superior product for a hunter in my opinion, although they are very pricey for flip covers.
All of that said, I'm building a custom Cooper .308 mountain hunting gun and am looking at some optics.  Weight is a concern, but not the primary concern of the build.  The two that I'm considering are the Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36 vs VX3L 3.5-10x50.  I am incredibly happy with my current VX3 2.5-8x36's as it's truly all I need, but am intrigued by the possibility of a brighter image at the darkest times with the VX3L 3.5-10x50.  The larger lenses should pick up more light making those first and last minutes a little easier.  The chunk out of the bottom means that I should be able to retain the lower mounting and handling characteristics of the 36mm scope that I know and love.  My preferred ring setup is Burris signature rings in steel universal bases.  However, another option for the Cooper is the Talley lightweight series at 2ozs for base/rings.  Switching from steel Burris Signature rings and bases, which are my standard go-to setup, to the Talley Lightweights would make the weight difference between the 2.5-8x and the VX3L a wash.  So, with that said, I'm curious about the optical performance differences in the field between the VX3 and VX3L, as it may be worth the slightly increased bulk to me to go with a larger objective and a lighter ring set.

What are the differences optically between the VX3 2.5-8x36 and VX3L 3.5-10x50 in terms of:
  • brightness
  • clarity
  • resolution
  • contrast
  • glare (does the bigger scope seem more sensitive to glare when pointed towards the sun at sunrise/sunset)
  • etc
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2016 at 10:40
Good post! 

I too love the Alumina scope covers Leupold offers. Pricey sure, but worth it. I'd give the Talley's a go also.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2016 at 11:07
I have fhat same leupold 2.5-8x. Good little scope. Take a look at the swaro z3 3-9x36. It will be a glass upgrade and still very compact and light.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
gdpolk View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gdpolk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2016 at 11:49
I've looked at the z3s and while they are more clear than the vx3 line, I'm not sure they would be any brighter than the vx3 with the same objective size and in all honesty I am pleased with the optical quality of the 2.5-8x36. I've had other scopes that are MUCH higher grade and for long range target work they were absolutely worth it but in the woods I feel the 2.5-8 is all I need. I'm 90% sure I'll go with that, but in just a little curious about possibly getting a bit more low light brightness and keeping my low mounting, quick handling, wide FOV performance. Also, for hunting applications, I really like the Leupold screw in covers because of their performance in the field.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic