OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

lonnnnnnng scope wanted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WICKERDAVE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lonnnnnnng scope wanted
    Posted: February/08/2016 at 23:54
Hi,
I'm building a fun little rat gun. olt actiBon, .17HMR 28" barrel. I'm looking for a inexpensive long range scope, up to 24" long [just to make it look cool]. I know some of the old scopes were realy long, and I wouldn't mind a used scope in  good condition. Hope someone has some ideas.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2016 at 08:11

Here is a reproduction of the old Unertl 8X sniper scope.  ( Needs adjustable mounts...) 

Visit the Ed Show
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2016 at 08:50
Some of the old Japanese Tascos were long compared to current scopes. They still make those in China, but the Chinese ones are of limited usefulness.
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2016 at 08:51

What is the external spring suppose to do??? Some kind of dampener??

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2016 at 10:04
Yes. When the gun goes off the scope sails backwards ( or forwards? )....then you have to shove it forward again and shoot.   
Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2016 at 10:07
....when I was a kid I saw pictures of these Varmint rifles in the magazines...
Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2016 at 10:19

Visit the Ed Show
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2016 at 10:21
Another option is sun shades, they are usually threaded at both ends, in case you wish to stack them together.

Old scopes can indeed look cool, but it's like 1940s automobiles vs modern day automobiles: performance suffers so you can look cool.

To each, his own.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2016 at 10:24

Hope its forward!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2016 at 10:36

This reproduction is $549 and has fully multi-coated lenses.  You would need to get the mounts.  They make the mounts, too!  $259.

http://www.hi-luxoptics.com/william-malcolm-8x-usmc.html

Visit the Ed Show
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2016 at 10:38
It might look cool, but I bet its usage is a PItA!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2016 at 12:24
Yeah, it's an antique style.  Looks like you'd have to be pretty careful with it.  No throwing it in the pickup.
Visit the Ed Show
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2016 at 14:08
I think CZ sell a 455 package with a leatherwood just like that.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2016 at 17:10
Eduardo got excited!
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2016 at 17:33
.....go back to waxing your....umm.....surfboard!!!   Wink

Visit the Ed Show
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2016 at 17:39
Looooooong scopes get Eduardo excited enough to wax.........

😎
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Stevey Ducks View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2016 at 00:13

This gets back to the old days when internal adjustment scopes had inadequate adjustments for accurate tracking.

The scope shown looks sort of like a 1 1/4 inch Unertl. In the distant past I used a 8X Unertl but it had a 1 1/2 inch objective. That scope was on a M70 and had the rear mount screwed onto the receiver ring and front mount secured on the barrel at some specific length. The Springfield appears to have a 1 1/2 Unertl , mounted on the receiver ring and barrel but with no spring it would need to be returned to battery by pulling it back by hand.

A scope on a Remington 40X rim fire is shown and the spring would not be of great value.

Upon touching off a .30-06 or equivalent the scope has a tendency to remain stationary and the rifle recoils back making the scope move forward in relation to the rifle. The spring pushes the scope back to its original position by pushing against the stationary front mount. Scope rotation is prevented by a raised rib on an approximate 3/4 (forgot) tube, the notch for the rib can be seen on the front mount. Good shooting practice requires pulling the scope back towards the shooter, by hand, and rotating it counter clockwise to assure same position between shots as the spring, being adjustable may not be sufficient to do this. When firing the rifle you can hear and feel the spring go ... tuung.

In addition to using an 8X I also had a 14X of the same type.

As expected, these are great range and fair weather scopes. Lens were sealed in with what looks like threaded rings and water pump grease making them subject to fogging and they are subject to damage because of the external mounts, exposed adjustments, and long slender tubes.

I gave the 14X to a friend (former Army, rifle professional, civilian and competitive shooter) who won the 1000 yard Wimbleton using it.

I have a now discontinued aluminum tube Weaver T10 with the tiny 1/8 min dot on my .22 and if I screwed on enough sun shades I could make it 1 yard long. This scope can be focused down to 30 feet or so for shooting flies and other bugs.

Yup, PIta.

Edited by Stevey Ducks - February/10/2016 at 00:53
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2016 at 09:07

How about this:

Lyman 12X Super Targetspot

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2016 at 09:43

Skylar is such a tease!!!   

Visit the Ed Show
Stevey Ducks View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2016 at 11:42

Archive quality pics -- thank you

No spring but nice rubber eye piece and wood box

I can see the rub marks on the tube just in back of the windage adjust and possible ones in back of the elevation adjust

That tube gotta be smooth and straight

The Lyman set up did not have locking notches cut into the mount bases

I have an old steel tube Weaver T10 that tracks almost as good as my former Unertl

Edited by Stevey Ducks - February/10/2016 at 11:49
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic