OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best reflex red dot type sight for the $

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2016 at 23:01
I guess I'm asking if shooting is any different with the different styles. Like are some more finicky about head position, is the dot more stable, glass clearer or better color, etc....

Edited by BigGameBalls - February/10/2016 at 23:06
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2016 at 15:32
Nope, in pulling the trigger, they are mostly the same.  Some are brighter, some more visible due to coatings or window design, but the dot is the dot: when zeroed, put the dot where you want the hole, pull the trigger.
I've not had problems with them wandering too much.  Then again, a 5 MOA dot isn't exactly precision.  It could bounce around by a few MOA in there and I wouldn't notice under most usage conditions.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
BigGameBalls View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2016 at 15:52
Cool. I'll probably go with the Vortex or Burris then. Had great luck with scopes from both.
BigGameBalls View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2016 at 13:03
Anyone have any experience with the Sig Romeo 1 & 3? They seem to have a lot of features to rival the lepould delta and are more reasonably priced.
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2016 at 16:19
Sig optics are new so I have no hands on experience.  I have not heard who makes them for Sig but I'm sure they picked a manufacturer with a reputation for quality optical products.  Romeo 1 is positioned as a miniature red dot for pistols and Romeo 3 for ARs.  The Romeo 4 looks even more intersting as an AR carbine red dot sight.  I'd also check Sig's website to determine warranty as it is not disclosed in SWFA's listings.  All else considered, Sig's mid priced products are most likely at least up to the standards of more familiar optical brand names like Burris, Leupold, etc.  Keep in mind that if you decide to add a magnifier to allow more precise shooting at longer ranges, the magnifier magnifies the dot.  So a 2 MOA dot with a 3x magnifier subtends 6" on a 100 yard target.  My recommendation is to get the smallest dot available for a carbine/rifle.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2016 at 19:52
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

We even have some members that claim they have an "illness" to justify their shameless spending habits on gear to their significant others....and at times...their selves.  Wink  

Yeah...how do those people live with their consciences!!!?
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2016 at 19:59
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Trijicon RMR is a good option in the dual illum, I would avoid their LED variants for now, they seem to fail often and at really bad times.

Really? First I've heard of that.

Fwiw, I have 2 of them, both LED, one of which is mounted to the slide of a Glock 21 10mm with about 800 rounds fired at present. That's pretty tough duty. Neither have failed me thus far.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2016 at 21:32
Throw Meopta Meosight II into the mix.

It is easily one of my favourites in this category.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2016 at 10:55
Ted, in looking online at reviews, I saw several different groups all saying much the same thing about one of the LED versions: they can cycle and turn off at random intervals. Looking more closely, some had determined that the battery in contact with the slide was the issue, and many were fixing with a piece of tape between optic and slide.
Having been bitten by Trijicon's admittedly infrequent and fiercely stupid "it ain't our fault" campaigns before, I am reluctant to jump on it when there is an oft sited issue that is, or was, unaddressed.

Maybe they fixed it. If so, let me know, I would prefer a dot smaller than 7 MOA as the dual illum is.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2016 at 10:59
Originally posted by Rainman Rainman wrote:

Keep in mind that if you decide to add a magnifier to allow more precise shooting at longer ranges, the magnifier magnifies the dot.  So a 2 MOA dot with a 3x magnifier subtends 6" on a 100 yard target.  My recommendation is to get the smallest dot available for a carbine/rifle.

I don't think that is accurate. The magnifier is magnifying dot and target equally, so a 2 MOA dot will cover 2x1.047 inches at 100 yards, regardless of how much you magnify target and dot. Magnifier and dot function as an FFP optic would.
ILya , correct me if I am wrong, please. Too much cough medicine might be inhibiting brain function.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2016 at 11:20
Your right rancid. A magnifier magnifies reticle and target equally so everything works out the same.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2016 at 13:20

Correct.

Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2016 at 13:05
My error and apology.  A quick check on my archery target confirmed my misinformation.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Iowa Fox View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowa Fox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2016 at 00:39
Cheaptrick, How did you mount that optic? I'm interested in what everyone is using for mounts.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2016 at 01:15
I am using a TPS CORA to mount the red dot onto the tube of the scope.  This is sort of a "poor man's 1x/10x scope".
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2016 at 12:24
Huh. "poor man's" ?

I'll eat your optical table scraps any day...
orane View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 03:36
I have a base model Primary Arms red dot sight that cost about $100. I am happy with it and I think it is a good value. However, when people ask about value-priced optics, I always ask what the optic will be used for. I cannot recommend a low-cost optic on any firearm that might ever be used for defense.

For a firearm that might be needed in a life critical situation, I believe one of the lower Aimpoint models is the best choice. The Aimpoint PRO is over $400 http://https://thetacticalscopes.com/best-reflex-sight-under-200/  but it is a solid model in a proven combat worthy line. Besides being rugged, the optical quality and battery life on the Aimpoints is very good. Aimpoint has also recently introduced a slightly cheaper ACO model. The ACO will probably do well, but it is too new to know for sure.

I do not consider the Aimpoint sights to be a great value. But sometimes top quality is worth the cost. For recreational use, some of the modestly priced optics really are a good value. As I mentioned, I have a Primary Arms sight, and I have heard positive reports about some of the other sights mentioned in this thread. Yesterday on Youtube came across an interesting video on this topic. I leave it here, Maybe it helps someone in the future. Good Luck.

orane View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 03:40
Here is an interesting article on this topic < ="text/">https://thetacticalscopes.com/best-reflex-sight-under-200/
< id="source-is" name="text-is" ="" wrap="SOFT" dir="ltr" spellcheck="false" autocapitalize="off" autocomplete="off" autocorrect="off" ="goog- short_text" style=": rgba255, 255, 255, 0; border-width: initial; border-style: none; border-color: initial; resize: none; display: block; color: silver; : ; top: 0px; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 24px; width: 634px; padding: 8px 20px 32px 8px; margin: 0px; height: 68px; outline: none; overflow-y: ; overflow-x: auto;">

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 10:55
Originally posted by orane orane wrote:

Here is an interesting article on this topic < ="text/">https://thetacticalscopes.com/best-reflex-sight-under-200/
< id="source-is" name="text-is" ="" wrap="SOFT" dir="ltr" spellcheck="false" autocapitalize="off" autocomplete="off" autocorrect="off" ="goog- short_text" style=": rgba255, 255, 255, 0; border-width: initial; border-style: none; border-color: initial; resize: none; display: block; color: silver; : ; top: 0px; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 24px; width: 634px; padding: 8px 20px 32px 8px; margin: 0px; height: 68px; outline: none; overflow-y: ; overflow-x: auto;">

Are you affiliated with that website?

I hope not.  A quick glance suggests that whoever wrote that article you linked is just incompetent as far as optics go.  He is just trying to get some sales going for his Amazon affiliate account.  I doubt he has seen any of the sights he is recommending.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 11:35
 If it is Orane's, that'd be good to know.

I might make some suggestions to a few articles, like the "perfect AR10 scope" as well as proclaiming the Barska IR suitable for all shooting applications, including military use.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic