OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

308 Riflescope Suggestion for a newbie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sublight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 308 Riflescope Suggestion for a newbie
    Posted: February/15/2016 at 22:30
I am about to buy my first .308 (Ruger American)
I have never owned anything larger then my .243 which uses a Leopold VX3.  
I dont know what to buy for my .308, so I am coming here for some suggestions.  I am on a limited budget, and would like to spend less then $200 bucks.  Im worried that the recoil from the .308 will be too much for some scopes but i'm not sure.  Later after I have paid for the rifle, and assuming I enjoy shooting it, then I will step up and buy my first high end scope (the VX3 was a gift).  I will be using this mainly at the range shooting 100-200 yards, but my eyesight isnt the best so I prefer more then 9x power on a scope.  Eventually ill spend a mint on good optics if its needed but to start I just want a modest scope that will hold its zero.  Thanks in advance guys.
Sublight View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sublight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2016 at 23:05
After posting this, I have been looking at Vortex scopes.  They are a little over budget, and if I buy it then I may have to come live with one of you guys/gals because they are in the 300 dollar range and my wife may divorce me....  But they look nice.  It is bedtime for me, I have work in the morning.  Ill check this from work tomorrow.  Thanks in advance everyone.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2016 at 05:15
The Vortex Crossfire and Diamondback lines are reasonable scopes, right at your price range.  You might also check into the Swift Premier. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2016 at 07:15
VX-1's can be had for $200 or less and will definitely handle .308 recoil.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
HKtoTikka View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HKtoTikka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2016 at 09:47
With your budget, and your probable intention to replace later, you should be hunting the samplelist for a used scope.

http://www.samplelist.com/ViewProducts.aspx

What I would look for:

SWFA SS 10x42

Vortex
(you missed a Vortex 3-12x42 Diamondback HP Rifle $219)
(also Vortex 4-16x42 Diamondback HP Rifle  $259)

Sightron possibly (Sightron 3-9x42 SII Rifle $199)

Leupold

Others can give you better model recommendations.

It boils down to this, your best value should be with those brands, and getting them used will get you more for your $.  You will have a scope you can keep to put on something else later.  Anyone here (and you can search and find posts talking about it) will tell you that you arent getting a bad scope used from here.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2016 at 11:22
I got a DEMO B that was really new.  Maybe somebody unwrapped it......  Excellent
Visit the Ed Show
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2016 at 11:55
Recoil on that one isn't an issue. At $200, I'd be leery of too high a magnification rating. Glass good enough to handle high mag costs. So do use-able adjustments. Sacrifice magnification for adjustments and good resolution. Probably save money on ammo sighting if in you spend enough to get a scope with useful adjustments. That Sightron SII listed above looks real good.

The trick to good grouping with not-so-much magnification is picking the right sort of target and learning how to hold on it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic