OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Looking at 3 (possibly more) scopes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJarvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2016 at 09:17
I re-checked it again this morning at 6:45 and again at 7:15 and I just can't make out the center of the reticle in low light, even against light backgrounds; it's just too fine. (I did make sure I had the diopter adjusted correctly)

I'll be sending it back today at lunchtime. Rats!

Sunrise @ 7:07 AM here with overcast skies.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2016 at 11:17
Sorry to hear. 

If the reticle is important to you, as it is to me, I'd opt for the VX-R. Glass is "pretty good", but the reticle more than makes up for it. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2016 at 11:23
I think the VXr glass is as good as any of the scopes around its price range.  It will do what you need optics wise, plus you will be able to see the reticle even in pitch black. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2016 at 13:13
Originally posted by 338LAPUASLAP 338LAPUASLAP wrote:

This was an early or late depending Habicht?  MISTAKE RIFLEDUDE IS CORRECT I MADE A MISTAKE REPEAT AV NOT AH it was a Kahles AH.

I was going to make that clarification as well. As the old AV series was phasing out, I bought as many as I could find, awesome scope, awesome glass, I am still a huge fan.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2016 at 13:54
The VX-R is definitely a good 'un! One of the better hunting scopes you can buy at its price point, with very well designed illumination!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
CJarvis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJarvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2016 at 14:55

Humor me a bit here fellas.

Let’s throw the Leupold VX-3i in the mix as well, so:

Bushnell Elite 4500 3.5-10x40 -    $459

Leupold VX-R, 3-9x40                     $500

Leupold VX-3, 3-9x40                     $400

Having to buy rings on top of the scope due to a change in main tube dia. is a little off-putting. For that matter, if I were going to spend $500 on a scope, would I not be better off buying the MeoPro with the #4 reticle?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2016 at 14:59
Ah dammit....

Get the VX-R!!! 

Wink
CJarvis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJarvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2016 at 16:01
OK, but I'm holding you personally responsible if it's teh suck!

Hammer Hit      Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2016 at 16:07
ME?!?!?! 

Blame Supertool!! Bucky  He's the VX-R leg humper 'round here. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2016 at 16:15
The other oft looked over advantage to the VX-R, are the Alumina lens covers. They are GREAT! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2016 at 16:18
 photo photo8_zpsc109c45f.jpg
CJarvis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJarvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2016 at 16:40
Nice rig!

This is the rifle that will be wearing mine when it arrives:

The scope in the photo is a Leupold Vari-X II, 3-9x50. At the moment I'm using a VX-II, 3-9x40. The VX2 will be moved to my muzzle loader.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2016 at 16:52
Looks good! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2016 at 17:02
Now...get ya some Talley LW's and I'll get off yer ass. Big Grin
CJarvis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJarvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2016 at 17:10
No can do.

It's a SIG SHR 970 and one of the few mounting systems made for it is the Leupold Quick-Release System. It's been solid for 18 yrs now. No need to reinvent the wheel.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2016 at 17:15
If low light is important, then the VX-R is really the best scope option available in the price range you are looking at.  There might be a couple that have slightly, and I mean slightly better optics but they lack illumination which can make or break a low light scope.

The VX3 is a step up for glass coatings and such.  It looks like the 3i is another change in coatings, so probably another step up.  The VX2 and the VXr according to specs have the same glass coatings.  But the VXr from what I have read has a different optical system than the VX2.  It is supposedly similar to the VX3.  But all that being said, I bet difference are not much percentage wise.  I have a vari x 1, VX2, a VX-R patrol and a couple VX3s.  They are all decent scopes and they all are a little bit better optically than the one below it.  But they all work well.  If I had to pick one of them it would be the VX-R hands down.  

If you want to spend more money, then you can get into Trijicon, VX6, Meopta R2, Swaro, Zeiss etc.  But then you are talking a jump (and for some a big jump) up in price. 

I have a Swaro z6 and the glass is amazing, but the reticle is quite thin, so in real low light it is difficult to use.  In low light the VX-R is a better options, or even better is my Trijicon and they both cost considerably less.  One day I will send it to SONA and have the reticle changed to a 4a or something.  Point is, glass quality is not everything, just one part of a good scope. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
CJarvis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJarvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2016 at 17:24
I ordered the scope and rings about 4:10 CST. Now the waiting begins...

I usually hunt a wheat field and being able to see deer/hogs from 300 yards or so at first and last light is what I'm after. I was able to do that OK with the two Leupolds I've had on this rifle, but I wanted to upgrade.

I also hunt a creek bottom that is nearly too dark to see a reticle beyond sunrise/set.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2016 at 17:33
I think the VX-R that SUPERTOOL insisted you purchase, will prolly work. 
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2016 at 18:07
OR, don't forget the VX-R, Mark.

You know, that scope Supertool recommended.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2016 at 18:11
ALL RIGHT PULL THE TRIGGER WTH!!!

get off the pot!!!
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic