OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Spring Piston AG's VS Scope Destruction

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spring Piston AG's VS Scope Destruction
    Posted: March/20/2016 at 11:05
Hey Everyone, I'm a freshly retired Canadian and I moved to Mexico for my retirement with my wife. Upon doing so tho, I had to sell all my rifles (37 of them) a third of which were air rifles/pistols.

Now that I'm familiar with Mexico's airgun laws (aren't any) I wish to build a new stable of airguns. 

I've always been partial to springers but as I grew older I found I was getting worse with iron sights and more and more needing the use of a scope and once I tried them I was back shooting my springers again very regularly for a short time anyway. The double recoil of the magnum springers I was shooting was blowing up my scopes. Back in those days there were not many companies making airgun specific scopes and those that were making them were having mixed results. I used to have to spend more money on the scope than I did on the airgun itself.

Since those days there have been many many different brands of scopes hitting the market and honestly, I'm at a loss as to what brand to buy that will hold up under the double recoil of a magnum springer such as RWS's 48-52-54 or HW's 80, 97, 98 etc.

I don't need the best of optics as most of my shooting should be under 50 mtrs with the odd shot out as far as 100 mtrs. Ideally I'd like to spend as little as possible and if I can find a scope under $100 dollars vs $600 dollars I'd prefer the cheaper of the two as long as the durability is there to give me consistent POA/POI and it MUST have Adjustable Objective with preference given to side focus but not a deal breaker. I won't be doing much target work, mostly vermin control and would prefer a Mil Dot reticle of some type for the purpose.

What brands and models should I be considering that are known to hold up to the double recoil of modern springers? Thanks so much guys. I look forward to reading your comments and eventually being able to see my targets again......grin.
chewtah View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chewtah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2016 at 01:29
I believe the springer has almost turned full circle, if you get a good one and put a 'kit' in it, that is a properly fitted spring guide, a 'top hat' and other small bits, the recoil just about goes away! Some You Tube videos show blokes firing a springer with a pellet sitting on the scope, which doesn't fall off when it fires.  Im assuming this means less trouble for the scope, hopefully.
chewtah
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2016 at 12:04
These days, the manufacturers' ratings for scope durability in springers are pretty honest, so if they tell you it will hold up (assuming it is a reputable company in the first place) it probably will.

Hawke selks a lot of airgun scopes and since they are based in England, they have a lot of mileage with them.

In the $250 range I have seen Hawke Panorama and Konus M30 hold up well.

ILya
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2016 at 13:46
Leupold told me all of their scopes air springer rated
Doug
MikieG View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2016 at 08:23
I use the 10x42M SS scope on all my R1s. It is braced both front and back. Never had any problems. They also focus down to 10 meters.
teach View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2016 at 11:10
Originally posted by MikieG MikieG wrote:

I use the 10x42M SS scope on all my R1s. It is braced both front and back. Never had any problems. They also focus down to 10 meters.

Got a brand name and model number/series to go with that? 
teach View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2016 at 11:19
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Leupold told me all of their scopes air springer rated

That sounds about right as they told me the same thing. Ironically a $600 Leupold was the first scope my Diana 52 destroyed. I returned it and at least got a full refund as it had only been a week from the time I bought it. But I won't spend that kind of money again only to be dissapointed once more. They have a good name that drives up the price. I believe there are lots of scopes out there built just as well at a fraction of the price. I just don't know what those brands are.......kinda the point of my post. tnx
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2016 at 13:10

Here are some SS models

http://swfa.com/Classic-C12502.aspx

Doug
MikieG View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2016 at 21:49
Brand name is SWFA. Model is 10x42M. They are outstanding scopes. I have used them on everything from Beeman R1 to Barrett M82A1 rifles. I have a few like new mil/moa scopes for sale if you decide to jump on one.
The latest itteration is a mil/mil version. Even at new price, they are a true bargain! Call Skyler, he can hook you up.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2016 at 21:57
Guys, he is in Mexico.

SWFA does not sell internationally and the SS scopes are not that straightforward to export.

ILya
teach View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2016 at 23:46
Yes, being here in Mexico is not without it's frustrations. Wonderful place to live but getting simple things like airguns, scopes, pellets etc. is not a straight forward scenario. Trying to find work arounds but it takes time to learn the system. I do appreciate the suggestions. When I have friends that go to the USA I can order and have it shipped to their destination and they can bring it down to Mexico for me but that is only a once or twice a year opportunity and sometimes not even then. 
chewtah View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chewtah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2016 at 01:53
You would save yourself scope worries if you got a PCP of CO2, no recoil and 30 odd Ftlbs for some PCPs.
chewtah
Rodinal220 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rodinal220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2016 at 14:07
Hawkes see a lot of use in Field Target Competition. Leupold and Vortex both "told" me that their scopes will hold up with springers. At least both companies have a no BS policy on making the customer happy if they do not work out.
Mark2Cars View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark2Cars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2016 at 18:21
I like my Vortex Diamondbacks. No problems and really decent glass. No disappointments. Enjoy Mexico...where are you ?
Some days my Momma raised an idiot other days a Fool...keeps it interesting
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic