OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Meopta discontinued R2 low light scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dw0229 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meopta discontinued R2 low light scopes
    Posted: March/24/2016 at 13:55
Might be old news but Meopta drops R2 2-12x50 and 2.5-15x56 series due to patent conflicts. This according to Meopta USA.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2016 at 14:43
Where did you find this info? I don't see it on the global or USA sites.
Doug
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2016 at 15:07
They also dropped thier R2 1.7-10x42. 
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2016 at 15:08
Well that sucks, I still wanted to get a 1.7-10x.  Dangit. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2016 at 15:41
But on a positive note (IMO), Meopta has reintroduced many of the original Zeiss Conquest scope models under the "Meopro" line.

Those were great scope values, and it is good to see them for sale again.
-Matt
Maverick2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maverick2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2016 at 19:47

Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Well that sucks, I still wanted to get a 1.7-10x.  Dangit. 

Ditto.  May still buy one from the stock out there.  (Guess I'd better hurry though, as this adds a little urgency...)

Outrider View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2016 at 00:26
Having owned a R1 for several years and having been well pleased with it, I too was set to buy an R2 several months ago when I got wind of the patent issue. Backed off. Really like the red cross (+) in the center of the illuminated model.
Outrider
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2016 at 12:26
[QUOTE=Outrider] Having owned a R1 for several years and having been well pleased with it, I too was set to buy an R2 several months ago when I got wind of the patent issue. Backed off. Really like the red cross (+) in the center of the illuminated model.[/QUOTE]

Me too. Bummer!

If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
StrangeHighways View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StrangeHighways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2016 at 08:44
I have been looking at this model and found this forum. I may still buy from stock but have a question. Is the R2 really alpha glass?

MeoptaSurujh View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MeoptaSurujh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2016 at 10:00

To be clear, the MeoStar R2 series has not been discontinued by Meopta, but does have limited availability in America.  In ROW markets all models are available;

1-6x24: 4C or K-Dot 2

1.7-10x42: 4C or 4K

2-12x50: 4C or 4K

2.5-15x56: 4C or 4K

NEW 8x56 ... coming summer 2016

Yes I work for Meopta, but I am not here to sell Meopta. Just answering questions and providing reasonable insight.
probably View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote probably Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2017 at 16:54
I recently bought a 2-12x50 R2.

when I was in the process of deciding, there was no indication on the Meopta site that this scope was about to be discontinued. Several people (distributors) said that it was not.  This thread was my only warning.  

However, the day before my new scope arrived, the website finally showed it as discontinued.  

So I'm wondering why.  Was it patent issues, is it now an obsolete scope, was it just too expensive for what you get compared to the meopros, or were there other problems? 

In a side by side comparison with a 15 year old 2-10x50 T*zeiss diavari and a new 3.5-10x50 VX3i, the R2 seemed brighter, further into the dusk.  It seemed better than the others by at least 5 minutes.
In 30 yrs of hunting Ive taken many WTB over 120", 3 over 140" & 2 over 160;I own most of the glass and guns that people argue over. So I go online for friendly chat but rude know-it-alls can bite me
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2017 at 17:50
Don't worry be happy.  Sounds like a great scope with those comparisons.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic