OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWFA AR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SWFA AR
    Posted: April/15/2016 at 08:58
Received SWFA's tax day e-mail and noticed the SWFA SS AR rifle for $1299.

Looking at the build specs, that is quite the rifle for the price.  I need another AR like a hole in the head, but that hasn't stopped me in the past and it has a very distinctive look.

I'll give a call to SWFA, but throw these questions out anyway.

Any idea who the barrel manufacture is? Rock Creek 5R barrel

What Geissele two stage trigger they are running? Geissele G2S

Anyone with any trigger time?

Edited by Marine24 - April/15/2016 at 09:49
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2016 at 09:52
Talked to Michael at SWFA and updated the original post with the info.  Rock Creek barrels are solid choices and the G2S isn't a bad entry level premium trigger either.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2016 at 11:02

I've had one for a while and love it.  Super accurate.  I went with the CMC trigger just because I hadn't had one its by far my favorite trigger in any AR, including my Gesseles.   Balance is great, features awesome.  Can't build one that nice for the price that has the features it has.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2016 at 11:18
I'm not much on a painted rifle, but hard to argue with the components at $1299 for an unpainted hardcoat anodized finish.

Was considering another LaRue or Wilson Combat Recon Tactical, but this one is a no brainer.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2016 at 12:12
yep,   you won't be sorry I can promise you that.  The guys at SWFA didn't just go to a company and say build me an AR, they put their heads together and told the company what they wanted and expected and wouldn't settle for just a cookie cutter AR.  These things are off the shelf ready for anything.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2016 at 12:19
It is in the cart waiting on Mon to come to save an additional 8%
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2016 at 15:06
$1299?

I did not see that one.

I thought they were running $1599?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2016 at 16:51
Click the $1599.95 icon and it takes you to the SWFA site where it says 1299.95.  Beats me… 

I was in the purchase process and my Lady sat down beside me… after a moment she said, "you don't even have the .458 SOCOM upper you just bought, yet.  Don't buy a new AR YET… I thought you didn't like AR's."  
I can't win...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2016 at 17:30
Good luck, Mike. Please keep us apprised of your progress. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2016 at 17:32
That one has been $1299 for a long time.  Its a killer deal, if I ever want another it will be the one I pick. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2016 at 18:25
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Click the $1599.95 icon and it takes you to the SWFA site where it says 1299.95.  Beats me… 

I was in the purchase process and my Lady sat down beside me… after a moment she said, "you don't even have the .458 SOCOM upper you just bought, yet.  Don't buy a new AR YET… I thought you didn't like AR's."  
I can't win...
I don't like AR's either
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2016 at 23:50
If you select one of the cerakote colors it gives you the $1599 price.  If you select the black color, which is no cerakote, you get the $1299 price.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2016 at 07:29
good price for cerakoting… and well worth it...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2016 at 13:37
Finally getting back to this.  The SWFA AR lives up to the comments in this thread.  Easily the best value and trying to build one for this price would be a challenge.

One can argue the merits of billet vs forged receiver, but it does look good and the ambi charging handle, safety, JP buffer and Geissele triggers definitely make this a very well though out/feature rich AR.

Can't argue with the results.  Using Freedom Munitions new 60gr PSP 5.56 ammo, it shot just outside of .6" at 100 yards.  With Federal GMMM 69gr ammo, it came in just above .4" (three shot groups).  Shooting Freedom Munitions 55gr FMJ reman ammo, it shot all day into a group slightly bigger than an 1"  Winchester Ranger 64gr ammo was also around .6".  The ability to shoot multiple brands of ammo and different bullet weights accurately is quite the testament to this rifle's capabilities.

Range condition was typical Colorado summer day.  Temperature was 81 degrees and humidity at 19% at the Cheyenne Mountain Shooting Complex outside of Fort Carson.  Elevation was a 6000 ft and some change.  Winds negligible at 3-5 mph blowing left to right.

Not sold on their ATC comp.  It was effective but not particularly enjoyable for the spotter off to the side.  Also not a fan of the stainless barrel/comp finish on a black rifle.  I prefer my evil black rifles to be all black but that is a personal preference and an easy fix.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2016 at 13:46
I don't have an AR, but if I got one, I'd get one from Chris.  

Visit the Ed Show
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2016 at 14:05
Nice write up, Mike. Yes, a rifle that shoots multiple weight rounds THAT good is a very nice feature. 

My AR likes to spit my "Gucci" 69gr. hand loads decent, but WONT tolerate much else. 
55gr ball ammo??? Oh my no!!  Laugh  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2016 at 14:33
I was surprised.  My LaRue is more accurate with some loads, but definitely has a preference for 69 and 77 grain bullets.

The 64 and 69gr performance was about what I expected from this rifle.  Not so much group size but that they were the more accurate of the bullet weights.  The 60gr soft point ammo definitely surprised me.  It is designed to be a hunting load and I was thinking 1 to 1.5" groups.

Agree on the 55gr assessment.  I was expecting battle rifle accuracy.

Another range day is planned later the month.  I'm shooting off a lead sled, which takes a lot of the stupid factor out of the equation.  I've got some 55 grain factory fodder plus some different reloads I want to try to see if this rifle shoots that well consistently or if I found some golden BBs in a particular lot.

I'll also go with five shot groups to see how well they perform.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2016 at 16:27
Disappointed to see the SWFA line of ARs is no more or at least no longer posted on the website.  Hopefully just a temporary pause.

A friend shot my rifle and is motivated to pick up one just like it but no joy.

I'll ping Skylar to see what info he has.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2016 at 17:03
Good news.  They are just waiting on components and will be listed again once they arrive.

Always good working with Skylar and crew.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2016 at 07:58
Good to know.  Mine is by far the best AR I've laid hands on
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic