OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Lightweight Scope Advice - SPR Project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zekers7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lightweight Scope Advice - SPR Project
    Posted: April/28/2016 at 11:49
Im trying to put together a SPR build in 6.5 Grendel. Its primary effectiveness is within 500 or so yards but should be able to reach out further with my handloads. 

My initial setup was a Weaver 2-10 FFP Tactical scope in a ADM QD mount. Between the scope and mount I was pushing 34+ OZ. No reason to have  2+lb sitting on top of this build. 

My Priorities:
-lightweight (19-20 oz MAX, ideally <18oz)
-clear glass
-Under $500-600
-Mildot or similar. Not a fan of BDC esp since im using grendel
-variable zoom for up close quick shots and ability to reach out

Use:
Fighting paper and occasional fruit (as well as finding joy in clover groupings) @ 50-100 yards - weekly
Punch out to 300 yards - about 6 times a year
500 Yard steel shots - 2 to 3x a year
1000 yard steel shots - 1 to 2x per year 
Hunt - not on table yet but would like the ability 

My current list:
-Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9X mildot. - 
 Buy once cry once.This seems to be the strongest contender. I like the illumination and the dials seem solid. Only 15.4 OZ***  Downside is no parrallax adjustment. $460
https://www.leupold.com/tactical/scopes/vx-r-patrol/vx-r-patrol-3-9x40mm-30mm/

-Burris Fullfield E1 4.5-14x42 with MOA reticle. 
I can get this for around $300 through my wholesale account. 15.3 OZ

-Nikon Prostaff 5 3.5-14x40 Mildot 
Cost is nice - prob around $250 through same deal. Not thrilled about the prostaff reviews in terms of quality. 

-Lucid 4-16x44 MOA reticle
$330. I dont think the glass is the clearest but the reticle and illumination are solid. 1/8moa clicks could be nice for punching paper. Heaviest of the group coming in at 19OZ

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2016 at 14:13
I would pick the SWFA SS 3-9x.  It is better than any scope on your list.  I have a VXR patrol, it is a good optic.  Not FFP though, if that matters to you. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2016 at 14:44

I have both the patrol and the SS 3-9.  To me both serve totally different purposes although very similar.  The SS is better for what you're doing/describe, target.  I have a SS on one most of my target/range/tactical guns and a Patrol on several hunting rigs.  The patrol is great for hunting due to illumination, weight, and good glass.  The SS is great for target/multi purpose use because its damn dependable and extremely clear glass and repeatable.  The SS reticle can be hard to pick up on dark critters so I tend to only use it in daylight if out hunting with one of them (predator control)

For what youre doing I really don't see a downside to weight, youre not lugging it around hunting (yet).  I would even say a SS 3-15 would be a good fit. Although I lean towards 3-9 personally but ain't nothing wrong with the SS 3-15.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
zekers7 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zekers7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2016 at 15:26
Would you say the SS is worth almost double the Leupold? As stated i can pickup the leupold for $460. I do plan on putting the 3-15 SS on my target creedmoor bolt action. 
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2016 at 16:31

http://www.samplelist.com/SWFA-SS-3-15x42-Tactical-Rifle-Scope-DEMO-A-P94453.aspx

http://www.samplelist.com/SWFA-SS-3-15x42-Tactical-Rifle-Scope-DEMO-A-P94454.aspx

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-HD-3-9x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P50716.aspx

At only $140 more yeah I think the SS 3-9 is better.  Glass in the SS 3-9 surpasses the patrol noticeably and then slightly above 3-15 to my eyes.

With the price of those 3-15's on the samplelist, that's a no brainer IMO. Get it and go shoot.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
zekers7 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zekers7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2016 at 16:56
Appreciate it. Didnt even take time to give it thought. One of those 3-15x is gone now Big Smile
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2016 at 16:57
Good choice. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2016 at 07:26
Glad to be of assistance.  You can't beat one of those for the price!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic