OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

7mm08 or 308

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2016 at 19:31
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

The 7-08 and 7mm Rem Mag are my two favorite cartridges.

The 308 is fine, but the 7-08 is ... well ... better.

My two favorites as well.  I've never had a finicky 7-08.  
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2016 at 20:29
Originally posted by Peddler Peddler wrote:

Don't seem to be any love for my Creedmoor or my " Bob "!!!

Ric, where are ya?

Easy Brother! I'm "All-in" on the Creed

"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2016 at 21:34
308, no question.
More ammo availability.
And the military uses it.
'Nuf said!

I have several 308s, doubt there will ever be a day I do not. Yes, 7-08 is a great caliber, but 308...
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2016 at 01:02
Any specific purposes for new rifle?
Distances?  (I always have to ask this question)Bandito
I can do a lot with either cartridge, or the Creed for that matter.
I have killed a lot of deer, antelope and even elk with 7-08 performance.
Could have done the same with a 3-O-Late for that matter.
Get the one you want, or one of each!Excellent

Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2016 at 05:13
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

308, no question.
More ammo availability.
And the military uses it.
'Nuf said!

I have several 308s, doubt there will ever be a day I do not. Yes, 7-08 is a great caliber, but 308...

I believe our friend is being a bit facetious....
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2016 at 12:39

Both are good, both have advantages and disadvantages, neither is "the one"...

I no longer have a 7mm-08, but have nothing negative to say about it.  As with most calibers, good shot placement will win you a trophy every time.  I taught my youngest daughter how to use a bolt action with 7mm-08 (taught her to shoot with Browning Safari II BAR in .243... she likes semi-auto better).  She was good with it, but never loved it.  My twins learned with the .243BAR, my oldest learned with .308 and 30-06... she's an ace shooter. 

7mm-08 is a fine chambering for most game animals on North America and for most "plains game".  Accurate, easy to shoot, easy to load, can be used for anything from short to long range target shooting and varmints to elk.  Pretty sure I could kill a bear with one, but would not relish the mission. 

For similar rifles and optimum ammo for the caliber, .308 will have heavier recoil than the 7mm-08. 

I would have to agree with the "one (or more) of each" crowd.  Though I don't have a -08, there is really no reason not... for me it is just another round I would have to keep track of and since it was not a favorite of any of my daughters, I sold it to purchase my .458 Lott... great trade up in my book.

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2016 at 14:47

Ric, where are ya?

I would've put in on 25 WSSM (same territory) but I knew I'd get enough grief on .260.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2016 at 15:08
Sometimes it's a chocolate and vanilla thing. 😎👍

Lots of guys ask why I shoot a TC Contender G2 .45 and I just tell them it kills deer quite nicely. When I bought it .45 was all they made and now they only make it in .50.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2016 at 15:10
7mm bullets are ballistically superior to the same weight 30 cal bullets. That says alot.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2016 at 15:33
Originally posted by urbaneruralite urbaneruralite wrote:

Ric, where are ya?

I would've put in on 25 WSSM (same territory) but I knew I'd get enough grief on .260.

I don't think you received any grief for trying to turn the "7mm08 or 308" discussion into a 7mm.08 vs .260 debate.   Wink 
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2016 at 15:59
Agreed it's still chocolate & vanilla ain't nothing wrong with any of them. I'll take it a step further guns & cartridges are like girls............most of them are great.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2016 at 17:07

Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

7mm bullets are ballistically superior to the same weight 30 cal bullets. That says alot.

+1

308 has proven its self over and over in target and hunting. It does offer much more in bullet choices. I chose 7mm because I'm on a mission to prove (for myself) the quote above............My current project is a 7-08 AR for competition (the 1000yd kind). I have been schooled on some very basic gas gun challenges. I do expect to succeed, as I am picking some of the top brains on the subject.

Good Luck with your choice either one is right!!!

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2016 at 17:47

My preference in the 7mm category is 7mmSTW...  I gave my 7mmRemMag to my son-in-law and sold the -08... I'll keep the STW, though.

You definitely trade recoil for trajectory with .308 vs 7mm. 

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2016 at 21:53
Originally posted by Sgt. D Sgt. D wrote:

+1

308 has proven its self over and over in target and hunting. It does offer much more in bullet choices. I chose 7mm because I'm on a mission to prove (for myself) the quote above............My current project is a 7-08 AR for competition (the 1000yd kind). I have been schooled on some very basic gas gun challenges. I do expect to succeed, as I am picking some of the top brains on the subject.

Good Luck with your choice either one is right!!!

Same weight, what the hell!

I run, regularly and happily, 243AI and 308 - among other calibers. I like the terminal performance of 30-cal bullets over 7mm bullets. In the anecdotes department, I have had better results.

Additionally, in the "big bullet vs fast bullet" debate, I settle squarely on big bullets. I like to throw large pieces of lead, experience has shown me I have a higher rate of success than when I throw a smaller bullet faster.

Don't get me wrong, my 243AI is unquestionable among my favorites, but 300WM is the all time favorite, and 308 is his little brother.

I like 6mm, 6.5, and 7mm; but my true love will always be 30-cal.
You gotta dance with who brung ya!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2016 at 06:28

DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2016 at 08:22
7mm-08 for me.  I have one in a T/C Encore that has killed at least a dozen deer and another dozen hogs, and a Win Mod 70 (new design) that last year took a doe at 325yds.

In addition to the recoil, Jason said one of the most important factors above - ballistic superiority for the 7mm vs. .308 in the same bullet design and weight.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2016 at 08:45
Originally posted by DCAMM94 DCAMM94 wrote:

In addition to the recoil, Jason said one of the most important factors above - ballistic superiority for the 7mm vs. .308 in the same bullet design and weight.

Where is this "same weight" thing coming from?  My 308 does pretty well with 208's, can you do that with your 7mm?
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2016 at 08:56
Clearly that wasn't my point.  And I have no desire to shoot 208gr in my 7mm-08, so I haven't tried.  If I want to push a 200+ grain bullet in a .30 caliber, I use my .300WM so I have decent long range terminal velocity.  Obviously bullet weight is everyone's personal choice, but Jason's statement and my agreement with him are not anecdote.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2016 at 09:15
Since we are talking 7mm-08 to .308, win mag rounds dont really apply. Rancids knows all this so not sure why the debate, but A 175 grain smk shot out of both of them the 7mm will have less drop, less wind drift, and lose less velocity. All great factors.

Personally i own 4 .30 caliber guns and they do what i need just fine. But if i were to start again i would possibly pick the 7mm. I own a 7 mag and it has killed many deer and elk, never left me wanting.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2016 at 09:31
That was my point as well.  At the end of the day it's just a matter of choice, and I prefer the 7mm-Winkle for medium game.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
  Share Topic