OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

7mm08 or 308

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>
Author
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2016 at 17:52
Originally posted by Peddler Peddler wrote:

I don't think the animal would know the difference at short range. Hit it in the right place end of story.

Yeah who cares, some just like to stir the pot.  Ted has over engineered this one in a great way, no way you gonna win.  Big Grin
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2016 at 17:59
Yep, but right now the Creedmoor rules the Peddler household with two of 'em!

They kill Whitetails toooo, well I better qualify that. Hers does mine has only killed paper so far.😂
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2016 at 18:43
It's a little known fact that Billy Dixon did not use a .50-90 Sharps to make his famous 1 mile kill at the Battle of Adobe Walls as is widely reported, but instead, it was an early prototype of the 7mm-08!Cool
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2016 at 18:57
I think I just wet myself!!!

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2016 at 09:10
If the Germans had had more of these

and fewer of these

the outcome of the war would have been the same give or take a week or two.
Just sayin.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2016 at 09:13
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

It's a little known fact that Billy Dixon did not use a .50-90 Sharps to make his famous 1 mile kill at the Battle of Adobe Walls as is widely reported, but instead, it was an early prototype of the 7mm-08!Cool

HA!Bandito
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2016 at 09:42
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

If the Germans had had more of these

and fewer of these

the outcome of the war would have been the same give or take a week or two.
Just sayin.

Great examples of German over engineering. ;-)
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2016 at 11:03
Thanks Mike
To the relation of the topic at hand, The Tiger had an 88mm gun (88mm x L56 if I remember correctly), and the Panther had a 75mm x L70 gun. While the 88 had greater armor penetration at normal combat ranges (at least for the German panzers), the 75 L70 had higher penetration capabilities than the 88 at the far edges of those ranges. Giving the Panther the long range edge over the Tiger.
This comparison does not include the King Tiger with it's 88mm x L70 gun, which would be like comparing the 7-08 to the 300 Win Mag.Big Smile
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2016 at 13:23
30-cal or BUST!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2016 at 13:50
One of my favorite words.😎

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2016 at 15:25

Thanks Mike
To the relation of the topic at hand, The Tiger had an 88mm gun (88mm x L56 if I remember correctly), and the Panther had a 75mm x L70 gun. While the 88 had greater armor penetration at normal combat ranges (at least for the German panzers), the 75 L70 had higher penetration capabilities than the 88 at the far edges of those ranges. Giving the Panther the long range edge over the Tiger.
This comparison does not include the King Tiger with it's 88mm x L70 gun, which would be like comparing the 7-08 to the 300 Win Mag.Big Smile

I like the analogy.      Tank  my 7mm.08  Bandito

My daughter with a restored to pristine condition panther from a few years ago.

Edited by mike650 - May/12/2016 at 17:44
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2016 at 15:30
That's cool, Mike! WOW...love those old tanks. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2016 at 15:39
Oh Mike, I just got a chubby.

That's a Ausf. A model. Was that in a private collection in California?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2016 at 15:43
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

30-cal or BUST!

Looks like RC is gonna "stick to his guns". 
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2016 at 15:51
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

30-cal or BUST!

Looks like RC is gonna "stick to his guns". 

I think he's talking about the 300 Win Mag.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2016 at 16:21

Oh Mike, I just got a chubby.

That's a Ausf. A model. Was that in a private collection in California?

Yes, the collector Jacques Littlefield has since passed, the panther and rest of the military collection moved to "The Collings Foundation", Stow, MA.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2016 at 16:24
You are such a cool Dad, Mike. 
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2016 at 16:39
WINKLE!!!!!!
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2016 at 16:54
Originally posted by DCAMM94 DCAMM94 wrote:

WINKLE!!!!!!

It's got such a cool ring too it. Big Grin
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2016 at 17:01
Gonna buy me a 2nd Winkle.  Break Dance
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>
  Share Topic