OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

7mm08 or 308

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 14>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2016 at 22:33
I carry my bow and my rifle. Sometimes my pistol and rifle if my back says no to the bow. Rifle is too easy but I'm not going home empty handed if something shows up that meets that days goals.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2016 at 22:53
You probably can't up there in NY.  Can you even have a fun gun like an AR with a 30 round mag? 

Not sure what it is like up there, down here, the deer rut right at the end of the season. I had to go home to get a spare rifle after puling the trigger on a nice 8pt and hearing a click. Primer had a dent in it, it was factory ammo, and nothing. It took a trip to the gunsmith to figure it out. 

While I was gone, another guy on my lease killed a nice 8pt 100 yards from where I was. So suffice to say I am never in the woods with less than 2 rifles. I want options and I don't want to go home and miss a shot at a nice buck because of a mechanical failure, or bad weather, or a knocked off scope, or even to help a fellow hunter out who may have had the same issue. 

I'd rather just have to run back to my truck and get a spare rifle, then have to go home and come back. 

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2016 at 23:11
I take 4 rifles ... Minimum. And two scopes for each rifle, each sighted for a different load.

Carry 'em in a quiver.

Gotta be ready.

I also bowl ... overhand.

-Matt
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2016 at 04:30
No new AR's in NY and it doesn't bother me because I have no affinity for them but I sure feel sorry for the guys who love them and are unable to enjoy them.

BB you are an animal I don't know how you can carry that load.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2016 at 08:31
+1.  I got dinged at JRTC  in 1996 because my RTO wouldn't distribute his rolls of wire to the squads.  Didn't find out about it until weigh-in.  That 19 year-old PFC was carrying a 120lb ruck!  Mine was only 87lbs.  Can't imagine 4 rifles and 8 scopes and a basic load for each!
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2016 at 08:36
When I had to drive across the state to hunt, I would take 2 rifles and 2 revolvers. 1 rifle and 1 revolver for backups in case the primaries failed in some way. I carried a rifle for long shots and a revolver close shots when I hunted. The backups stayed in the truck. Probably similar to what Lockjaw does. None of mine were the same caliber either.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2016 at 11:36
I'll take a minimum of two bolt rifles, a .22lr, shotgun, a black rifle most of the time and at least one pistol when I go hunting... but I'm only carrying one while actually hunting. The past few years 90% of the time it's my 7mm-winkle I'm carrying, the 7mm mag I'll use when I'm sitting on point with a possible very long shot ahead of me.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2016 at 14:14
I should look into a 44 mag or 10mm to carry with me when I go. I usually just take my 9mm. Our laws changed, so as long as you have a CCW, you can carry even during bow season. They used to frown on that. 

To me taking an extra rifle makes sense. It would be like going hunting with just the clothes on your back, or leaving your cell phone at home. Or not bringing toilet paper, or a snack, or water. It gives me options to change my plan based upon who is out there, and where they sit. Sometimes I will avoid an area if I think the wrong people are out there, and I don't want them to know where I am. 

In my last club, they watched me so much I started putting out dummy stands. It would look like I was sitting one place, but in reality, I'd be 100 yards away. This is also why I want to suppress my 308 and why I always come out of the woods LATE!! I shot a buck on last weekend last year and dragged it half a mile in case someone saw me load it in my truck. This year, with my ATV, I will be even harder to keep up with. I do not like to roll up to the sign in shack with a deer in my truck. Anyone there can see where I was. 

Surely some of you experienced that. People find out you are seeing deer, or killing them, and they sit on top of you. 

I keep ammo for all 4 of my rifles in my truck once hunting season starts. Then no matter which rifles I take, I know I have ammo. And I carry the box in my backpack for the gun I take. Just in case. 

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2016 at 20:37
That sucks about the club but sounds like you're still in a gun friendly state if you can hunt with a suppressor, that's a plus!

We're blessed, private property, family hunting club dating back to the '40's, trust, no one competing for your spot... the only down side besides the whacked gun laws here are the blacktails aren't very big. 
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
stilhuntin View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stilhuntin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2016 at 18:00
After all the info submitted I decided on the 7-08. Ordered a Cooper Model 54 Excalibur with a 24 inch barrel. Already have a Kahles Multizero on hand. Should be a nice set up.

Thanks for all the replies.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2016 at 18:16
Can't wait to see it! Good shooting! 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
stilhuntin View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stilhuntin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2016 at 18:38
Looks like a 4-6 month wait for the rifle. Just in time for firearms season. The Kahles has held zero on a 30-06 for over 5 years so it should do well with a 200 yard zero on the 7-08 W.....e.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2016 at 22:48
Very nice choice, stilhuntin!
-Matt
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2016 at 22:59
Originally posted by stilhuntin stilhuntin wrote:

After all the info submitted I decided on the 7-08. Ordered a Cooper Model 54 Excalibur with a 24 inch barrel. Already have a Kahles Multizero on hand. Should be a nice set up.

Thanks for all the replies.

Great choice on cartridge and on optic!!!
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2016 at 09:23
Nice choice - it's pretty funny, actually.  I saw Stillhuntin's post that he decided on the 7mm Winkle and I thought "oh yeah, that's how this thread got started!"Bucky
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2016 at 12:58
Good choice! I would suggest the 162gr ELD-X from Hornady for that. And a really stiff dose of h-4350, and I bet you get better speed than most here mentioned.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2016 at 21:44
Another bullet I can't hunt with living here in the copper only state.  Soap Box
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2016 at 13:28
Mike you just need to change your thinking, they are four legged targets!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2016 at 18:08
LOL, I like the way you think!
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2016 at 18:11
😎😎😎
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 14>
  Share Topic