OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

7mm08 or 308

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 14>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2016 at 09:38
You live in the peoples republic of california Mike? 

That is a pretty state when you get out in the mountains, but dang they have some draconian gun reg's. 

I wouldn't move there just because I love my AR to much. 
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2016 at 21:59
Ha-ha...  yeah, I'm a native and it is beautiful here...

... the gun laws suck  Loco  but still fairly manageable as long as Governor Moonbeam continues to veto gun proposals targeting law abiding gun owners instead of criminals (and mentally challenged); otherwise, we'd really be F'ed.

I really like my AR too (pre-ban), just built one (with bullet button) for my daughter and gave it to her last month when she turned 18.  Cheers
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2016 at 19:39
My grandmother lived in watsonville and I remember going to see her in the summer and the kids who lived there had year round school. Police never asked me what I was doing but that was back in late 70s. I was born in Oregon and moved to Al when I was 4. Love the Pacific Northwest. Was in Oregon when my St Helens erupted too. Loved trout fishing. Wish we had them here. Love my guns to much to move tho.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2016 at 20:19
Originally posted by Lockjaw Lockjaw wrote:

My grandmother lived in watsonville and I remember going to see her in the summer and the kids who lived there had year round school. Police never asked me what I was doing but that was back in late 70s. I was born in Oregon and moved to Al when I was 4. Love the Pacific Northwest. Was in Oregon when my St Helens erupted too. Loved trout fishing. Wish we had them here. Love my guns to much to move tho.

I live just over double oak mountain from you.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2016 at 22:03

Yep, gun laws in Cali were just fine until the 101 California shooting in '93 and it slowly escalated from there. Heck, '83 was when I bought my first AR (colt sp1), came with a pair of 30 round colt stamped mags. I absolutely agree about Oregon, my mom lived in Grants Pass for years, one of my favorite places on the west coast, great fishing! 'Bama's cool, we had an install out there for ITT in Huntsville several years ago, got some great peeps too like KB and Steelbenz!
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2016 at 06:46
I was stationed in Portland for a year, fished the Sandy, Willamette, Columbia. I have a good story about a Monster Sturgeon and a buddy of mine. He waded out in the water to gill it an pull in to shore..... Until he actually SAW the sturgeon, it went one way and he walked on water screaming for Jesus! LOL! Alcohol was involved!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2016 at 07:03
Lol, the Columbia River, home to many a monster sturgeon.
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2016 at 13:08
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

I live just over double oak mountain from you.

Where? I am in forest lakes off 43.

Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2016 at 13:13
I have relatives in Portland also..i lived in Pendleton or for a year. I didn't want to come back to Alabama.

My uncle owns racetrack in Yakima.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2016 at 13:34
If it wasn't for the Lib fruit cakes I wouldn't mind living back in Beaverton.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2016 at 19:25
What is this!?!? Big Blue Marble!?!? Roll Eyes 

Do try to stay on topic, Chaps. This thread is about the veritable 7MM Winkle! 
Hallowed be thy name...Laugh
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2016 at 19:27
Ha, not much else to say, go Winkle or go home, ;)
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2016 at 19:32
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Ha, not much else to say, go Winkle or go home, ;)

That's the spirit! 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2016 at 05:19
I thought it was about which is better, a 308 or 708 Bandito.

I have both and love both, just hate 708 factory ammo carries a price increase over 308. Except Hornady American Whitetail, its usually the same price. 

Speaking of which, I was just in my safe and looked at my Ruger sitting next to my remington 700 tac 308, and dang, that ruger is small. It's fixing to get a Zeiss Conquest Duralyt. Burris went bye bye. 
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2016 at 05:51
Just as an FYI to Lockjaw and others who are relatively new to the forum - if it wasn't apparent, the 7mm-Winkle IS the 7mm-08.  Do a search on Rifledude's posts on the vaunted 7mm-08 cartridge, and you'll see why.Cool
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2016 at 06:27
I gathered that. I'm glad to find some folks who like the cartridge. Just wish the factory ammo didn't carry a premium.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2016 at 07:23
Mark's outdoors in Vestavia or Simmons over in Bessemer.
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2016 at 09:34
I work right by Marks. They have a good selection. I really like the winchester supreme ammo in 708. Their gunsmith says its his go to ammo for the 708. They were ridiculous on the regular remington ammo for that gun. Like 35 bucks a box. I was like, Uh no thanks. 

I wish I remember how I originally sighted in my Ruger M77 in 708. Man it was something. I got the scope knocked off during hunting season and dropped it at Marks for their site in service, and he put it inch and a half high at 100. Not sure that is best for a 16.5 in gun. I want to say I was dead on at 50 yards initially. 

I hunted some private land up in Locust fork for a year, and dropped 8 deer with it. None went over 25 yards. Most dropped in their tracks. My second box of the Winchester Ammo hasn't done as well. Nothing has dropped DRT. I shot a doe last year on opening day. Broadside shot. It never knew I was there. Took out the heart. Ran 40 yards. 

Two years prior, I shot, I don't know, probably 8 or 9 deer with it. None DRT. 

Guy at my current club loads his own with 120 grain BT's. I have some of that loaded, but I loaded it light on powder for my kids to shoot. Shot 1 small doe with it, OMG, I don't know how it even walked off. blew the whole brisket out of it. 

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2016 at 14:26

Just wish the factory ammo didn't carry a premium.

My royalty has to be paid somehow! Cool
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2016 at 15:11
Those BT's are typically a bad idea for hunting big game.  They aren't bonded, and they have a tendency to fragment, which explains your brisket-less doe.  If you want something similar, try the Nosler Accubond in 165 (or 180) or the TSX/TTSX.  The BTs are better than they were several years ago, and I have loaded some 120gr BTs in 7mm for my 7mm-07 Encore handgun, but now I've moved strictly to 120gr TTSX for that rig because of the fragmenting. 
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 14>
  Share Topic