OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

T2, MRO, Holosun, Spark 2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T2, MRO, Holosun, Spark 2
    Posted: May/07/2016 at 23:16
Went and did a little playing today with the 4 mentioned red dots.

T2. Very clear glass, Image through the optic is very color neutral.   Gripes with it. I dont care for the location of dot adjustment. I am a righty and i would much prefer the adjustment on top or on the left side. Next i have to run it on setting 8 or 9 in bright sunlight and its a long way from off and seems to take for ever to click through 8 or 9 clicks. But all that being said, the fact that i can leave it on for years kind of makes that part a moot point for some, but i turn mine off so that part is annoying to me. I do have to adjust the brightness and i just don't like where that is at.

MRO. Very clear glass, but it has a pretty noticeable blue tint to it. But it obviously doesn't affect use. I just see it is all. 5 year continuous battery life. I often shoot red dots with 1 eye closed when i am shooting slower precision type shots. So the bigger FOV of it over the other 3 is very apparent. I really like that. It really helps with the tube affect you get with red dots. Its still there, but is improved with the MRO. On off switch is fantastic IMO. It has 8 settings. Two night vision then a 1 and 2. Then a dot for an off setting. Then you can keep going up for 4 more settings, 3 4 5 & 6. I ran it on 4 and 5 today. And i love that it has that off setting between 2 and 3. It means i only have 2 or 3 clicks and i am up and running. And i love that it is on top of the optic. Very easy to reach with my support hand. Adjustments are softer than the T2 and not covered. But i honestly don't think they will be likely to get changed by accident like some people worry about.

Holosun. Decent glass, blue tint but not to bad. Dot does not get as bright, but bright enough. This one has the neat feature that if u leave it on it goes into a power save mode and turns off. Then with slight movement of the scope it comes back onto the last setting u had it on. I have left it on in my safe for a while now and it always works when i pick my rifle up, but i still hate relying on an electronic like that. Also i would prefer a turning knob to the push buttons. But so far everything seems to be working fine. They also claim 5 year battery life. It has been on in my safe for a few months and so far so good. Lots to like about this red dot for the $200 price.

Spark 2. Decent optic, dots gets plenty bright. It has much more flare in the dot than the other three though. But for what a red dot is meant for, its not really a big deal. But i do notice it vs the other 3. Battery life sucks compared to the others, it ran dead in my safe in a few weeks. Again not a huge fan of the push button on and off, but they seem to work fine. It is much larger than the other 3.  Also huge tube affect on this optic.  Way worse than the other 3.  It is kind of annoying IMO.

As far as shooting goes, they all work well. All zeroed easily and so far all are holding zero. T2 has 400ish rounds, holosun 200ish, spark 2 200ish and MRO 60ish.

At this point my honest favorite is the MRO. I like the controls much better and i like the larger FOV. I honestly have no fears about reliability as i have had a number or Trijicon products and they have been great for me. If i were starting over for a red dot knowing what i know now this would be my first pick

Number 2 is aimpoint.

3 is holosun. Its pushing at the T2s heals in lots of ways, i just don't fully trust the electronics and probably never will.

Then the spark2, it is lacking in a lot of ways.  

Edited by supertool73 - May/09/2016 at 10:32
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2016 at 07:38
Nice write up.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2016 at 16:13
Thank you! Nice work.
(Except for the slight on the Aimpoint.) 
Wink
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2016 at 16:41
Well I talked my bro inlaw out of the MRO, I now own it.  Sadly the Aimpoint is going to get moved to the safe shelf for the time being.  Maybe it will find a home on my shotgun or something. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2016 at 17:12
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2016 at 17:17
Mark my friend, I am loving your little gifs.  To funny.  Excellent

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2016 at 17:24
Great write up, as usual. I won't get rid of my beloved T1 just yet......Wink
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2016 at 17:48
Nice information, thanks.
Doug
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2016 at 18:07
Damn it, now I need a new Sig rangefinder.... and an MRO.  Bucky
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2016 at 14:58
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Damn it, now I need a new Sig rangefinder.... and an MRO.  Bucky

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2016 at 17:12
Mike, I have the Sig rangefinder, and yes you need one NOW!

Good write-up Jason!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic