OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

AR15 parts kits

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2016 at 09:46
Well my next challenge may be to build an upper myself too. I was very intimidated about doing the lower, I watch videos and even called a couple of the local gun stores with gunsmiths and asked if I could pay one of them to walk me through the process. Both said no, but one was much more helpful and encouraged me to just take a shot at it, and if I got hung, to come by the store and ask for him and he'd help me thru it. 

I got a set of the Nikon scope mounts and mounted an old Simmons 1.5-5 whitetail classic on it and got it bore sited yesterday, so I am pretty excited about getting to shoot it. I got a Magpul MBUS off ebay for less than 20 bucks shipped, brand new, and it was gen 2 model, but it won't fit under the scope and I don't want to take it off just to add the site. 

It's a little heavier than my MP15 MOE, but it has the PSA stainless barrel, its larger in diameter. 

I definitely want to do a trigger in this one and see if it helps. It's not bad, just has creep. It's not gritty like I have see some of the other things say when looking at milspec triggers. 

I really love to tinker. 
dillon_h View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Staff
TEAM SWFA - Staff
Woody

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2016 at 10:17

Uppers are easy as long as you have the right tools. The main thing is having the equipment to hold the upper securely while installing the barrel nut and muzzle brake. The biggest mistake you can make is trying to install or remove a barrel nut by holding the lower and turning the nut. I have seen a few billet uppers broken this way. I don't even like using the vise blocks anymore. I use the Geissele Reaction Rod and Magpul Armorer's Wrench.  

http://swfa.com/Geissele-AR15M4-Reaction-Rod-P92834.aspx 

http://swfa.com/Magpul-Armorers-Wrench-P78811.aspx 

Both tools are a little more expensive than most other methods but it sure beats breaking something. I tried removing the flash hider off of a Daniel Defense using the vise block and ended up turning the barrel in the upper... Daniel Defense won't sell just a stripped upper either. $1,200 mistake after buying a whole new complete upper...All over a flash hider!

Dillon@SWFA.com
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2016 at 15:04
Watch the videos on brownells website in building ars. They go through everything.

Magpul makes airsoft back up sights too. So if u paid $20 those are the ones u got. My buddy did the same thing and there is a substantion quality difference.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2016 at 16:36
Package says sight is for ar15. It's an MOE sight. Only way it could be air soft is if it's prepackaged.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2016 at 17:25
The company that makes and sells them are licensed by Magpul.  They come in magpul packaging and have the magpul logo on them. 

Legit ones typically go for $45 to $55.  The fact that you got one for under $20 screams the airsoft version or an actual fake.  Magpul has lots of knock off stuff coming out of china. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2016 at 10:41
Look for a kit that comes without the trigger. You might also like an ambi and or 45 degree safety. I have done a couple builds and have noticed things like roll pin diameters can vary enough to matter. For example a Stag pin doesn't not fit a Spikes lower like a PSA pin does.

Next time I will do a pick your own kit with an upgraded trigger, 45deg safety, oversized trigger guard and antiwalk trigger pins.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic