OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

To lap or not to lap ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2016 at 08:52
Originally posted by NDhunter NDhunter wrote:

What rifles are known for those problems ?  Put some names out there, I

don't think that is an issue of any importance.

Any rifle produced by human hands can be vulnerable, obviously some are going to be worse than others.  Here's what I can tell you though........4 years ago I bought my first semi-custom rifle, this one in particular was a Hill Country Harvester 7mm Rem Mag.  What they do is take a Rem700 action, true it, square it, pillar and  glass bed, ad go through about 15 barrels to find the one they like to mate with the action.   I sent them Talley lightweights in which they mounted, lapped, and tested accuracy with an in house scope (Swaro something).   When I received the rilfe  I noticed the lapping and gave them a call.  They told me that they had seen so many problems with mass produced actions they stared lapping every ring set they mount. 

Once again, it wasn't a ring mfg problem, but a rifle action/tapping etc problem.  This is one big reason I've been mounting everything with Leupy dual dovetails and Burris Signature rings with inserts.....no lapping required.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2016 at 08:54
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I have kokopelli alignment bars and use them to check the squareness of every rifle/mount i put a scope in. If everything is out of square and u tighten a scope down in out of whack rings then all that pressure gets put into the scope tube. Cant be good for them and i dare bet alot of scope issues are the result of that. Thats probably often the case when a scope won't work for a person and they send it back and the manufacturer checks it and says it works fine. But when owner gets it back and remounts it the problems return.

Excellent.....couldn't agree more. 
Maverick2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maverick2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2016 at 09:30
Originally posted by oldfortyfive oldfortyfive wrote:

Ruger rings on the M77's are often out of alignment .020". Lapping won't fix that. It's pretty hard to beat the Burris rings with the spherical inserts.

Ditto on the Burris Signature rings.  I've use their Signature Zee rings on another rifle and liked them, so bought another set for a more recent rifle.  It's built off a Mauser 98 action that had been drilled poorly, and I found that the holes were too far out of alignment (> 20 MOA) to correct with the thickest offset inserts.  I jumped up to the Burris' XTR Signature Rings (which was a better fit height wise anyway) and problem was solved since it offers up to 40 MOA correction with the inserts provided.  The Burris' XTR rings are a thing of beauty...  
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2016 at 15:17
If ever there was an argument for buying a CNC-machined receiver or upper this is it. Top that with good rings (e.g Seekins) and be done.
Reaction time is a factor...
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2016 at 15:39
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

If ever there was an argument for buying a CNC-machined receiver or upper this is it. Top that with good rings (e.g Seekins) and be done.

And that I believe is the exact problem.  Good rings and bases are CNC machined, so unless something went really wrong they are not likely to be the problem. 

But from what I understand, many of the popular mass produced actions are finished by some dude with a hand tool, so error comes into play. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2016 at 17:57

I've got a Wheeler lapping kit with alignment bars, the DNZ checked out

perfect.  The worst one I have had experience with was a Ruger M77 with factory

aluminum rings, off a lot and needed lapping, not a good situation, you could bend

those rings in your fingers.

tpcollins View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2016 at 08:02
If I were going to go out and buy a bunch of rifles and scopes, I'd probably get the Wheeler lapping kit. If I were going to mount one scope, and it was a Bushnell Banner, I'd just slap it in the rings. If I were mounting a $3000+ Schmidt and Bender, I'd be lapping the heck out of what ever rings I chose.
Greenhorn#1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2016 at 13:42
Thank you gentleman . Just stepped back in town and on way home swung into Cabelas and grabbed wheeler scope mounting kit . So once I get my scope and get it mounted I will be sure and share pics and post results . Thoughts / how it performed on range . Thinking and really leaning torward sightron or just go nightforce and say Fux it !! Thank you
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2016 at 13:54
Thanks for playin! 

Let us know how you make out and do please come back and post pictures of your rifle when you get it up and running. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2016 at 14:18
Yes sir will do and thank you .

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2016 at 14:21
Should you require assistance, please contact myself, or one of the other Mods. 
We need to earn our keep.   Big Grin
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2016 at 14:37
will do and look forward to the day I can sow this up . I'm sitting right now (saving )in hopes I find this miracle deal out there Haha . Went to Cabelas and the nightforce just had the clearest picture and is supppsed to be tough . The vx6 was also beautiful . I will take one of each and you can have my first born haha ! It's like trying to pick a women at a swim suit shoot . I will take all those and see which I like thank you . So I will deff be back to pick your brains about the scopes I want   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2016 at 15:02
How about giving our Gracious Host, (SWFA) a chance to earn your business, Friend? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2016 at 15:14
A Swaro Z3 3-9x or a VX-6 will be my next big game scope and I'm leaning Loopies way because of reticle selection options. 

(I'll have to forfeit my Leupold Haters membership card, but hey.) Wink  

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2016 at 15:28
I've thought about it . I'm sure the warranty is the same as others ? Also , is the support there if I have a question . I've heard great things , but I like the nightforce durability and while I wont be rolling around in the sand , well I may one day haha . Will they send me a loaner to sway me bahahaha . It's the fact I've never held one and at this point I'm so frustrated I want a product no matter the cost I can mount to this rifle for life . With all that I'm always open for suggestions . When I get around 1000 bucks together I will be ready . I'm looking to buy after I take my family on a vacation . So at end of month I may have more money . I'm already over half way there. So I plan on touching base with y'all before I buy . Would even consider used / pre owned lol . Thank you again
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2016 at 15:33
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

A Swaro Z3 3-9x or a VX-6 will be my next big game scope and I'm leaning Loopies way because of reticle selection options. 

(I'll have to forfeit my Leupold Haters membership card, but hey.) Wink  

Hilarious , I'm with you . I've always tried to be different and break away from the pack and when you talk with guys it's always luepold . I think they are awesome scopes . I hate the gold ring lol . I know aesthetics shouldn't matter but that gold ring lol . More of a subdued kind of guy .
everydaywine View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Spammer...Mark

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everydaywine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2016 at 15:39
its necessary if it doesn't fit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2016 at 15:59
I jumped in to my suggestion before realizing that SWFA isn't a Nightforce dealer, per your choice, of course. They sell the HELL outta Leupolds though.

All y'all say y'all up in Delaware? .... Wink   
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2016 at 16:12
Originally posted by tpcollins tpcollins wrote:

If I were mounting a $3000+ Schmidt and Bender, I'd be lapping the heck out of what ever rings I chose.

Why??  You would just lap to lap?
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2016 at 16:14
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Originally posted by tpcollins tpcollins wrote:

If I were mounting a $3000+ Schmidt and Bender, I'd be lapping the heck out of what ever rings I chose.

Why??  You would just lap to lap?

That's all y'all are doing! Peeker
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic