OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope selection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluffchucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope selection
    Posted: June/19/2016 at 00:11
Hi one and all. New to the forum.
Need help with scope selection.
I live in NZ so we have dense bush and long range.
Have a .243 with a 9 power. Too powerful for the bush so may have to change that to 3, 4 or variable.
But to the real issue.
I'm thinking of going on a tahr hunt. They shoot out to about 800 give or take.
Been told the 243 is only good to about 300.
So new rifle time.
Been looking at sniper 101 on youtube and thinking 7mm Rem Mag. Best wallop until you get to heavy calibers and easy to get ammo. Thinking Tikka not sure lite or t3.
But what to put on it?
Since you dial up at these ranges I assume I'm looking at tactical?
Fixed or variable. S101 says you get a lot more for your money with a fixed power and that 10x will take you to 1000 easily.
But some of the vids are a few years  old and technology does not stand still. Prices come down etc. Also gathering a range of opinions leads to a more informed decision. I may wish to use this combo for target work. (Obviously not competition)
Money? (just off to see the exchange rate)......(back now).
Would like to keep inside the 800 USD range.
Your input and recommendations much appreciated.
FC
Gerry Atric View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2016 at 05:24
Hello fluffchucker, welcome to the forum

As there is a thread already in action at a forum "at home", you may have a look there also:

http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1466239091

Fortunately SWFA ships to N.Z. nowadays so another window is open......:

http://www.opticstalk.com/swfa-ss-to-canada-and-uk_topic42938.html

Gerry Atric

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2016 at 11:44

Visit the Ed Show
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2016 at 13:23
You are correct technology does not stand still and a lot of information out there on riflescopes is sorta stuck in the 50s and 60s when the original Youtube video creator received his training (I am guessing on the exact timeline).

Another problem happens when the particular person offering his opinion was trained in the military, but was never really much of a shooting/guns/optics enthusiast.  I've shot with a couple of people like that and while undoubtedly well trained and good shots, they do not believe into anything that is even minutely outside of their training.  They know one way of doing things and one way only.  They assume that no other way of doing things is worth considering.  Now, their way and their understanding of equipment is not necessarily the wrong way of going about things and these guy are frequently excellent shots.  However, the world has moved on and it is not necessarily the best way to do things.  That is one of the reasons while the best shooting instructors are so open minded about new things: they give most reasonable innovations a shot at least as an experiment.

That digression aside, what you need is a good quality 3-15x42 or 4-16x50 or similar scope with a Front Focal Plane reticle.  You can either use the reticle for hold compensation or the turrets.  Both work fine if you put in your practice time.

Since you will be hunting with it, I would suggest reticle illiumination, since FFP reticles get a little thin on low power.

Probably the closest to your budget would be Vortex PST 4-16x50 and Burris XTR II 3-15x50 (with G2B reticle).  I like the Burris a little more between the two, but both are good scopes.  Both of these have nice ranging reticle, but you will need to twist turrets with these.

If you think you will not be doing much in ultra low light, and prefer holding over with the reticle, consider Burris Veracity 3-15x50.

Since you are in New Zealand, I do not think you can get SWFA scopes which offer some nice options as well.

If you are more comfortable with SFP scopes and want something reasonably light, consider the new Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x42.  I have one and I am quite impressed so far.

All this having been said, if I were scoping a rifle for an application like yours, Bushnell Elite Long Range Hunter 4.5-18x44 with illuminated reticle would be at the top of my list.  However, it is well outside your budget.

It is designed specifically for what you want to do.

Lastly, if you have not shot beyond 300 yards before, make sure you do some serious practice before you attempt than on a hunt.  It is an entirely different level of skill.  

In this case, caliber selection is not that critical. Skill and practice are.

7mm RM is a fine cartridge as are many others.  Get something that does not make you flinch and practice.  When you think you have had enough practice, go practice some more.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2016 at 15:17
Well stated, ILya. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic