OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Minox ZA Scopes ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goosedowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Minox ZA Scopes ?
    Posted: July/19/2016 at 13:23
If you hadto compare Minox scopes to another brand for quality, glass and durability what brands would you compare them to?
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2016 at 12:15

Which one are you looking at? ILya recommends them on his site.

http://opticsthoughts.com/?page_id=91  3-15x50 under $600

http://opticsthoughts.com/?page_id=92  6-30x56 under $1000

Doug
goosedowner View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goosedowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2016 at 12:22
I want to get my Grandson a deer hunting rifle (260 or 7mm08) and the scope would be for it. 15x seems like it might be a bit heavy? I was thinking 10X - 12X on the high side.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2016 at 12:26
Those recommendations are a few years old, so I need to update them.  A lot of new scopes came out since then.

Still, the ZA scopes are pretty good and compete reasonably well against other similarly priced scopes like the Conquest HD5, Meopta MeoPro, Leupold VX3 and others.

Current ZA5 line is upgraded compared to the original ZA5s that I looked at and they are nice designs.

Generally, of the currently available hunting scopes in the $800 range, I am really partial to Vortex Razor HD LH, but they all come with 42mm or smaller objectives, so if you want something larger than that, look elsewhere and Minox is not a bad place to do so, as is Meopta.

ILya 

goosedowner View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goosedowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2016 at 14:42
Thanks Koshkin. I haven't bought the rifle ye so that give me time to watch for sales.
opticalillusion View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opticalillusion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2016 at 15:10
Koshkin,

How does the Minox ZA5 HD compare to the Ziess HD5 or is it closer to the discontinued Conquest line / Leupold VX3? What about the Windage and Elevation adjustments? Are they what they should be for a scope in its class? I've heard that the ZA5 HD is a drastic improvement over the original ZA5. What does the newer ZA5 HD have over the older ZA5?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2016 at 12:57
ZA5 HD is pretty close to the Zeiss HD5 in my opinion.  That having been said, I prefer Razor HD LH to both of those.  Better eyepiece and better image quality.

ILya
opticalillusion View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opticalillusion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2016 at 19:45
Thanks for the information Koshkin. I bought a Minox ZA5 HD 2-10x40 a while back but haven't done anything with it so I really can't comment on adjustments or proven durability. The optics appear really good but not close to my Kahles CL or my Meopta Meostar R1. I haven't gotten my hands on a Zeiss HD5 yet to compare. I may have to look into a Razor HD LH.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic