OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best Bullet placement to take down Black bear

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cold Trigger Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2016 at 21:41
I also disagree with all this (low mounting of the scope) . That may be fine with a prone heavy weight rifle that has minimal recoil. Or an anti personnel autoloader.
For big game hunting , being able to shoot fast and accurately from UN supported offhand position is most important.
You are being watched.
If it can't be grown, It's gotta be mined
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2016 at 07:39
Here at the coast we have a few large black bears, topping around 500-600 on rare occasions.  Most are around the 300-400 range that we encounter.  I carry a 300WSM when bear hunting with accubond ammo.  At the same time most of the guys hunting that club for bear are using 270's or 30-06's and they seem to do the job fine as long as you put the shot in the best place.  Aim for a heart/lung shot and you should be fine.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2016 at 12:59
I've never been bear hunting, but I have been in bear country a lot.  Most of the bear hunters I've ever talked to agree with the statements regarding deer rifles.  I personally would want at least a 30-06, but would likely take my 9.3x62 with a 1.75-6x scope.  It will make a 200lb texas wild boar turn a flip in the air at 150yds.  My bullet choice would be a 232gr Norma Oryx (bonded).

Ever since my dad was attacked by a black bear in Colorado in 2006, he and I have carried .41 Rem. Mags. loaded with 250gr hard-cast LFN gas-checked bullets that I load for us (hot).  
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2016 at 13:11
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger Cold Trigger Finger wrote:

I also disagree with all this (low mounting of the scope) . That may be fine with a prone heavy weight rifle that has minimal recoil. Or an anti personnel autoloader.
For big game hunting , being able to shoot fast and accurately from UN supported offhand position is most important.

Just curious, why do you feel low would make you slower? 

I feel the opposite of you.  My reasoning is a low scope on a sporter type stock allows a better cheek weld, which leads to more consistency which leads to faster speed. 

All the rifle classes I have taken, hunting or tactical put big emphasis on consistency of cheek weld.  With a high mounted scope that is harder to achieve. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2016 at 17:03
I think my 9.3x62 would still be my choice for browns, but for black bear I'd also consider this set up: my .338 Federal in a Browning BLR.  It has a Nikon 2-7x32 Monarch UCC on it.  I think it might be the perfect black bear rifle:

Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2016 at 11:46
All the talk of having a pistol back-up, is kind of entertaining... A 308 out to 600 yards is going to have more energy and penetration than a 44 magnum, and it should already be in your hands! Black bears are routinely killed with bows, hell there are even idiots that go after grizzly's with a stick and a string. If you hit an animal in the heart or lungs with anything it will die.  
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2016 at 17:21
Hunting one with a bow would be fun.  I'm sure any of the 30 cal rifles or larger would be plenty.  If I was going hunting today I would  take my tikka 300 WSM cause thats the only caliber I have in a tikka and its light and easy to carry and plenty accurate.  It has a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14 on it so probably higher on the low end than ideal but useable.  Now if someone wanted to buy me a rifle and a scope I did see a .375 H&H I wouldn't mind having and stumbled across this lovely piece of glass just now:
SPL24155Zeiss 2.5-10x50 Victory Diavari 30mm Rifle Scope DEMO-B
Click to view5217319908, Matte, #8
$999.95
bullet placement between the eyes.  I don't want a hole in the middle of the skin. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2016 at 15:41
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

All the talk of having a pistol back-up, is kind of entertaining... A 308 out to 600 yards is going to have more energy and penetration than a 44 magnum, and it should already be in your hands! Black bears are routinely killed with bows, hell there are even idiots that go after grizzly's with a stick and a string. If you hit an animal in the heart or lungs with anything it will die.  

What I meant was that I carry the backup when I'm bowhunting.  That's what Dad was doing when he was attacked.  Can't really explain away a .308 on your back when you just have a bow tag for an elk or mulie.  THAT's why I carry a .41 Mag backup while bowhunting - because it's all you CAN carry, and even then most states require you to be licensed to carry concealed to do it.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2016 at 16:50
Originally posted by DCAMM94 DCAMM94 wrote:

Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

<span style="line-height: 16.8px;">What I meant was that I carry the backup when I'm bowhunting.  That's what Dad was doing when he was attacked.  Can't really explain away a .308 on your back when you just have a bow tag for an elk or mulie.  THAT's why I carry a .41 Mag backup while bowhunting - because it's all you CAN carry, and even then most states require you to be licensed to carry concealed to do it.</span>

Deck, when bow hunting in NY no handguns are allowed. Doesn't matter what you are hunting.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2016 at 17:55
Not surprised.  In TX, you have to be licensed to carry concealed to have one.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2016 at 19:38
Utah as well
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2016 at 20:12
Same in NY, I've had a CC for over 50 years.

OK no smart ass remarks.

😎😎😎

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2016 at 22:20
There are a lot of black bear in our deer hunting area of Ontario.  Most average between 300-400 lbs, and big guys may weigh 500+ but they are definitely the exception.  Virtually all are taken with deer caliber rifles (mainly 30 cal, 30-30, 300 Savage, 308, 30.06 etc).  No pistols are permitted for hunting.  The last bear I shot was with my 44mag Ruger carbine with peep sights using 300 grain Hornadys. A typical boar at about 350 lbs.  Never felt under gunned, just behind the shoulder at about 30 yds.  You don't need a cannon for black bear or a huge scope.  Do your part, practice a lot before taking to the field using a rifle with adequate power (lots of choice and advice here) that you can easily master and learn the habits of the bruins in the area you plan to hunt. 
God save the Empire!
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2016 at 05:04
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

There are a lot of black bear in our deer hunting area of Ontario.  Most average between 300-400 lbs, and big guys may weigh 500+ but they are definitely the exception.  Virtually all are taken with deer caliber rifles (mainly 30 cal, 30-30, 300 Savage, 308, 30.06 etc).  No pistols are permitted for hunting.  The last bear I shot was with my 44mag Ruger carbine with peep sights using 300 grain Hornadys. A typical boar at about 350 lbs.  Never felt under gunned, just behind the shoulder at about 30 yds.  You don't need a cannon for black bear or a huge scope.  Do your part, practice a lot before taking to the field using a rifle with adequate power (lots of choice and advice here) that you can easily master and learn the habits of the bruins in the area you plan to hunt. 

GOOD CALL CRAIG, THIS THREAD IS BEING WAY OVER THOUGHT.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2016 at 10:04
Dalai Lama said it best...

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2016 at 12:31
Laugh
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2016 at 16:13
👍

erinis0112 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erinis0112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2016 at 23:38
put a couple holes on its chest and you are all good
There's a God somewhere.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2016 at 05:40

Originally posted by erinis0112 erinis0112 wrote:

put a couple holes on its chest and you are all good

Where are you in Texas?  SWFA is in the DFW area... you should pay them a visit. 

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2016 at 06:28
A hunting buddy that runs slower then you can is also effective against bear attacks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic