OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Pink Camo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitefire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pink Camo
    Posted: July/27/2016 at 15:40
At one time Leupold placed their logo on a pink camo Yosemite binocular. They have ceased production... and my granddaughter must have one.

I have ingested incredible information from this site, therefore I place this project at your feet. Does anyone have a read on this product.

If anyone is tempted to point me toward Barska for the same style and look, please don't.

Kind regards,

Wf
May His face shine upon you and give you peace.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2016 at 16:28
I assume you've already checked eBay. Do you know anyone that does dipping?
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Whitefire View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitefire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2016 at 20:56
Checked eBay... Dipping? You can't be serious.
WJC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2016 at 21:07
Hi Whitefire:

Leupold doesn't make binoculars. Like the late Dave Bushnell, they buy off the shelf from Asia. For a time, they imported parts to assemble 2 pocket models; both have long been out of production.

“Water, water everywhere nor any drop to drink.” — Samuel Taylor Coleridge
“Social media everywhere but not a thought to think.” — me

Whitefire View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitefire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2016 at 13:20
Yes, WJC, that's why I posted that they "...placed their logo...". I regret they do not make those gold ring binos they manufactured at one time. They demand a pretty decent ransom on ebay now.

Wf
WJC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2016 at 13:47

Hi Wf:

They didn't even make those; despite all the urban legends.

After that horse had been beaten to death for several days on a binocular forum I used to frequent, I piped up with the reality of the matter. As you might imagine, I didn’t win any friends ... again. So many of these forums do not exist on research, facts, and experience; they exist on opinions, speculations, and never-ending pontifications.

Facts can bring silly threads to an end fairly quickly. However, since most forums are there to promote companies and products, they can be frowned upon. 

Following is a vignette from I book that I’m to have at Springer no later than the end of March 2017; I hope you find it of some use. 

13 “I WANT A GOOD OLE AMERICAN BINOCULAR.”

No one would like to see more optical industries on American soil more than me. But, if you’re eager to buy an American binocular, I’m afraid I have some bad news for you; you’re not going to find one. There hasn’t been a line of consumer binoculars made in the United States for decades. 

There are some specialized military models, but the names most people associate with American manufacturers are actually importers.

Yes … them too! 

And even before World War II, when Bausch & Lomb was the leader in American binocular production, some of their inventory came from Zeiss. 

During the war, binoculars were manufactured by:

—American Optical

—Anchor Optical

—Bell & Howell

—Hayward Lumber

—Honeywell

—Kelvinator

—Kollsman

—Nash

—Nash/Kelvinator (after the merger)

—National Instruments Corporation

—New York Film Corporation

—Pioneer Instruments (A division of Bendix Aviation)

—SARD (Square D)

—Spencer Optical

—Universal Camera Corporation

—Westinghouse

—Wollensak, and

—who knows who else ….

That’s a pretty impressive list. Yet, most, if not all, of those companies were under subcontract to Bausch & Lomb, or perhaps the Washington Navy Yard, the name of which was changed to the Naval Gun Factory in December 1945. 

It seems each time I have cause to broach this subject, someone reminds me of Bushnell. Here, again, I’m forced to break eggs and burst bubbles. 

David Bushnell, the father of the post war “American” binocular business, was not an optician, optical technician, or engineer. He was a fellow who graduated from USC with a Bachelor of Science degree in Foreign Commerce and bought off-the-shelf instruments from the Japanese. His senior tech, a former optical technician at Philadelphia’s Frankford Arsenal, Al Aikin, designed the Insta-Focus mechanism, and suggested a limited number of improvements, but the Japanese carried out all the production work. 

Bushnell was not an innovator of optical gear; he just knew how to sell what was available and kept his eye on the market.  

While it’s true some consumer binoculars have labels that say “Made in the USA,” most are simply assembled here from Asian parts. And, although some European firms still manufacture most of their own instruments, it’s wrong to think they haven’t learned to profit from cheap Asian labor. 

I do know of one binocular manufacturing company that operates on American soil, even though their home office is in the Czech Republic.

Photo, Illustration, or Comment                     

Photo of Made in USA on Japanese Binocular

Is it true Asia produces some binoculars that might best be used as paperweights? Absolutely! Conversely, certain of their instruments are on par with the best Europe has to offer. If you’ve got the money, they’ve got the product.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2016 at 13:55
Bill, I realize this is your hobby.  But most of us don't care where the stuff is made.  We just care if it works and fits our need.  In this case a pair of pink camo Yosemite's is what fits his need.  Whether or not Leupold made it or stamped their name on it matter little.  Hardly anything is completely American any more.  It is the world we live in. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
WJC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2016 at 14:15
"Bill, I realize this is your hobby."

Then you realize incorrectly. My hobby is telling the truth of the situation, which is too often ignored. From childhood, I believed everyone should strive to leave this earth better than they found it. Except for the purpose of writing an article, I haven't used any of mine for months and it may be months before I use one of them again. I have some of what the more "A" types call "alpha binoculars." I also have some paperweight instruments that I like very much. So, those who try to paint me as an optics snob, miss the mark by a large measure ... as thousands of words already on the internet will attest.

Take for example the last sentence of my last post, or did you read that far?:

"Is it true Asia produces some binoculars that might best be used as paperweights? Absolutely! Conversely, certain of their instruments are on par with the best Europe has to offer. If you’ve got the money, they’ve got the product."

Does that seem to be the opinion of an optics snob who cares WHERE something is made?" I just want a spade called a spade—nothing more; nothing less.  When truth enters a conversation, ignorance must slip out the door and the conversation becomes more beneficial for all. Thus, the level of understanding of a particular subject is raised.

Do you believe that is a bad thing?

Cheers

WJC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2016 at 14:17
PS I have stolen your tagline and used it in more than one of my Op-Eds. Thanks!

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2016 at 14:32
I am not trying to paint you as an optics snob at all.  And when I said this was your hobby, I was pointing out your knowledge and depth of how the optics industry works.  I was referring to your post from your book.  Nothing to do with me thinking your an optics snob. 

But, my point was and still is most of us don't care where they are made.  We just want the best binos for our dollar.  And we have a load of options these days and it is awesome.  I have binos from $2800 to $200 and they all have their role and I like all of them, and not one of them are made in America. 

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

WJC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2016 at 14:50
And that is EXACTLY where I have always come from. When people ignore the contributions of, say, Zeiss or Leica to promote some product as being as good when I know it is not and they are overlooking, dozens of important realities because they don't know or care they exist, I do get concerned. But, overall, I don't care where something is made. I just want errors in thinking to be corrected, at least for the benefit of those who really care. That's all.

My best bino is the Nikon 8x30 SE. At the time I bought it, I was at Captain's and could have had any of the "Alphas" I wanted—Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski, etc. It was chosen because of the VALUE it represented to me.

You may take what I say at face value; I don't have a horse in the race. I just want folks to see things as they are, not as the speculators say they are.

If that is a character flaw, I am most certainly ... guilty.

Edited by WJC - July/28/2016 at 16:41

Whitefire View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitefire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2016 at 13:26
Again, i appreciate the information... but for now, I need a pink camp Yosemite for my granddaughter.

Bought a Mossy Oak Yosemite for my 5 year old grandson last year... he enjoyed watching the porpoise breaking in the gulf through his "reniculors", now it's my 5 year old granddaughter's turn.

So, to get back on task, I'm still looking.

There are other brands, I have returned a Barska (almost identical to the Yosemite) and an Alpen. Both small for her hands but optics are pitiful.

Wf
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2016 at 14:30
Nikon Aculon, pentax up

WJC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2016 at 14:54
And that's all it was ... information; I wish you luck on your search. I just wanted you—and any who might have an interest—to know that Leopold doesn't MAKE binoculars—a frequent misconception. That was all. And, as I have said before, I have no agenda, ax to grind, or horse in the race.

I should probably just keep quiet, as almost every time I try to add a little, I get my agenda questioned.

Sorry.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic