OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Razor new release

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muleymaddness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Razor new release
    Posted: July/30/2016 at 07:43

Does anyone have any info on the new release of the Vortex Razor HD spotting scope?  I see that they've now updated their website, and beside a color change and heli focus, I wonder what the differences are performance wise?  I also noticed the 65mm is 56 ounces compared to the prior model of 49 ounces.

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2016 at 09:19
A guess would be that since Vortex discontinued all of the eyepieces for the old Razor there will be a change in the eyepiece mounting to the point where the old eyepiece will no longer fit. The Razor design allowed the Swarovski eyepiece to fit on the Razor bayonet . There could have been a design infringement complaint from Swarovski. Just a WAG.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2016 at 11:04
Probably right on Lile!
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2016 at 11:05
Wait, I can use Swaro eyepieces on my Razor HD spotter?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
SafariDreaming View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SafariDreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2016 at 12:48
Not sure if the loss in magnification range is good though - its gone from a 20-60x (3x zoom) to a 27-60x....

If the new eyepiece is a Wide angle, that could be good but otherwise eyepiece wise, the new magnification doesn't appear as useful as the previous one...

RANCID - Yes you can use Swaro eyepieces on your Razor spotter (the older version anyway). Here's a pic of the Swaro 25-50x eyepiece on the Vortex Razor 85mm.

cheers
Jeelan

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2016 at 17:59
The new eyepiece is indeed wide angle.

I'll have one here on Monday, so I'll know more at that point.

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SafariDreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2016 at 07:19
Ilya, 

I'm interested in reading your comments on this one.....

Incidentally, for anyone who cares, Zeiss have also brought out a new Spotter - Zeiss Conquest Gavia.

Meant to be sit in a lower price brackets to the Victory Diascope range so it might go head to head in terms of price with the Vortex.

Historically, Vortex's big advantage has been its price compared with the big 3 European houses and Nikon...

If the new Conquest spotter is priced competitively to the Vortex Razor, it'll be interesting to see if this impacts Razor sales.

cheers
Jeelan

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2016 at 08:47
Don't forget the newish meopta meopro spotters.  They are fantastic as well, and also in this "getting crowded" $1500 price range.   Lot's of good choices nowadays for quality optics. 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2016 at 08:51
The new Vortex spotter dies not have any markings on the country of origin other Thanh saying Assembled in the US.

I took a brief look yesterday and it seems like any exceptionally nice eyepiece. My first impressions of the image are very positive.

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SafariDreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2016 at 06:41
"assembled in the US" is be a big change for Vortex.

Their early Razor scopes (and Razor lineup in general) had a "made in Japan" label which was replaced by "made in china". The latter is what my 85mm Razor has on the foot.

cheers
Jeelan

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2016 at 16:30
I asked and the new spotters have components sourced from Japan with assembly done in the US.

My best guess is that the US assembly allows them to have more control of alignment tolerances and other QC factors.

ILya
elkcrazedfrk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elkcrazedfrk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2016 at 18:32
Hey. Brand new to the forum. Can anyone say if there is any change to the actual optics between last years model and the brand new model?? I'm looking at getting the 65mm but cant see paying the extra bills for the new design unless there is a change in viewing quality.. thanks a bunch for the input.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2016 at 19:00
It is a completely new design.

Everything is different.  How much better it is, I can not yet say with any certainty, but it looks pretty impressive based on a brief look I have had.  I like the new eyepiece.

ILya
m1911 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2016 at 08:23
Earlier this year I bought a Viper Spotting Scope, then sold it to a friend because I don't like the angled style and wanted straight.
I ordered a straight version of the Razor and during shipment found out about the new version.
I immediately swapped it out and sent it back the day it arrived.

I'm now waiting on this one and looking forward to it.....
(I also upgraded to the Carbon-Summit Tripod which is really nice!)

m1911 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2016 at 08:49
As a follow up.....and in the sake of full disclosure.....
I don't know much about glass.....but I just purchased a set of Razor Binoculars and think they are really great.....INCLUDING the look & feel.
(Kind of wanted them to match Embarrased )

Plus I have 3 Razor Gen-II Rifle Scopes in 1~6 and 3~18.....

m1911 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2016 at 11:49
And another thing....
Despite the fact I bought the new/straight 27~60x85, I really wanted to buy the slimmer, less powerful model in 22~48x65.....
Very cool and portable and will cover 90% of my shooting......but got nervous at the last second and bought the larger one.

THIS is COOOOOL!Cool

m1911 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2016 at 19:12
I pulled the trigger today on the medium Razor 22~48x65 today.....
It was driving me crazy, but I actually think I'll use it more than the larger one.
I also bought this car-window mount.....

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2016 at 19:23
I know a guy who uses one of those, with a v-yoke gun mount, to shoot coyotes from his truck.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
muleymaddness View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muleymaddness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2016 at 09:00
Any updates on reviews on this spotter?  Other than weight, it looks pretty good.  56.8 ounces for a 65mm is a bit heavy for hunting applications.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2016 at 12:18
Originally posted by muleymaddness muleymaddness wrote:

Any updates on reviews on this spotter?  Other than weight, it looks pretty good.  56.8 ounces for a 65mm is a bit heavy for hunting applications.

I have been playing with it for a little bit now and I do not like the soft case that comes with it.  It is difficult to use with the helicoid focus wheel.

Aside from that, the spotter is absolutely superb.  Image quality is outstanding for this price range and the new eyepiece is very well designed.  Most wide angle eyepieces out there are of the 35x to 50x variety.  This one is a 22x to 48x and while it does not sound like much difference, I like having a little less magnification on the low end.  I have a lot of experience with Pentax 65mm spotters and with the original 65mm Razor HD.  The new Razor is noticeably better.  It goes head to head with 1st tier spotters and, I think, hangs with them pretty well.  I have spent a lto of time with Leica APO Televid 65mm with the 25-50x eyepiece.  I think the Leica is a bit better above 40x, but below 40x, the Vortex can easily hang with the Leica.  

I'll be doing a few more comparisons over the next month or two, but for now I am extremely impressed.  So much so, that barring something unexpected in a couple of future tests I have planned, I fully expect to buy this spotter from Vortex when I am done.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic