OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Razor new release

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muleymaddness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2016 at 13:39

Excellent!  Thanks for the short write-up.

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2016 at 16:48
The previous generation Vortex Razor spotter was made in China.  How was Vortex able to move assembly here to the USA, while cutting the price and improving quality?  That's tough to do.   

billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2016 at 08:22
It's probably due to Vortex moving a lot of manufacturing back to the the USA! The new new line of Razor AMG, not to mention the Gen2 is taken apart and re-assembled with different internals. Vortex is growing abs providing American jobs!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2016 at 14:57
Hey, I think it's great.  Just wondering how moving production from China to USA allowed the price decrease?   I remember some of the Swaro bashers, when Swaro re-introduced a less expensive SLC HD, started wondering what corners were cut.  
fishermanhunterguy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishermanhunterguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2016 at 22:35
I'm a little disappointed. I recently bought the 20-60x65 razor spotter in May. About a month later the newer version has come out. Should I try and sell my older version or isnt it that big of a deal? I use it for hunting in the fall and messing around with a little during the rest of the year.
If your not a liberal by 20 you have no heart. If your not a conservative by 30 you have no brain.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2016 at 23:28
Originally posted by fishermanhunterguy fishermanhunterguy wrote:

I'm a little disappointed. I recently bought the 20-60x65 razor spotter in May. About a month later the newer version has come out. Should I try and sell my older version or isnt it that big of a deal? I use it for hunting in the fall and messing around with a little during the rest of the year.

Does your current super serve your needs?

There is always something new coming it. If you chase that, you will be buying a new product every week.

If you current super worried well enough, stick with it. If not, upgrade.

ILya
erinis0112 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erinis0112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2016 at 14:21
looks really great and nice features.
There's a God somewhere.
stratofisher View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratofisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2016 at 19:42
I have a Leupold Gold Ring HD.  Was thinking of getting a new 85mm razor and was wondering if anyone had recommendations on whether it would be worth the upgrade in terms of optics. 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2016 at 20:17
That is sorta a personal decision. I think it is, but it is easy for me to say when it is your money to spend.

ILya
stratofisher View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratofisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2016 at 20:21
I have looked through the Swaro and know it is far better.  Just never tried the Razor HD.  Had the opportunity to get one at a good price and was thinking I might go there as I am planning a big Mule deer hunt next fall and find scopes useful in finding bedded bucks.  Thinking a little more objective size would be nice. 
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2016 at 21:44
I have the older model 65 mm Razor HD and i like it very much. It is a very high quality scope. The only thing that i would make better would be a wider angle zoom eyepiece. 
I took the eyepiece off my Swaro scope and i tried it on the Vortex scope. My zoom is the wide angle 20-50 WA lens. I fit it on the Vorext Razor 65 mm scope and it worked well. 
I had 3 observations. 
1. My Vortex Razor 65 mm scope is pretty darn good and the view through it's eyepiece is not all that narrow. Using the Swaro eyepiece did not make a visible difference in image quality or pleasantness. I switched back and forth between the Vortex and the Swaro eyepiece and i did not find any particular difference. This saved me a pretty penny, because i was considering purchasing the new zoom eyepiece from the new generation Vortex scopes, or even a new Swaro eyepiece for this scope. Because i do use the scope, i like it, it's angled, light, smooth, and i can use a smaller lighter tripod with it. 
Instead of a new zoom, i found a relatively inexpensive Vortex 20x wide angle eyepiece for it and i like it. I got excellent wide angle views when i expect that i would need that (like scanning prairies or  watching hawks)

2. The Swarovski eyepiece did fit and work on my Vortex scope, but it had a 2 mm play. The lens did not click tight and lock perfectly in the scope body. That worried me because it may no longer be a dust and waterproof fit. The bottom of the lenses have an O ring, i think, and when they are twisted and locked the seal closes the space between the scope and the lens.  My fit was good, the lens was locked, but not tight. 

3. Between the Vortex 65 mm with two lenses and two excellent tripods, and a wonderful small and light Nikon 50 mm ED with it's own small and steady tripod and two lenses, i have portability and comfort and optical performance and i get all i want from a scope  99.9% of the time. I find myself using the large Swaro less and less, like a couple of days per year maybe. I keep asking myself why i don't sell this scope?
Brocksw View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brocksw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2016 at 13:37
I was under the impression that optically nothing was changing under the newly released version with the exception of the field of view.  Everything else as far as glass, cut, lens coating, etc. was all staying the same with an upgraded housing.

This is the reason the magnification range was decreased and is now a 27-60 and not a 20-60.  This magnification was necessary in order to increase the field of view.

I believe that was the same way Swarovski increased their field of view in the ATX/STX.  However they also added the "Swarovision".  Kind of funny how so many spotting scopes are starting to look more and more like Swaro's with the focus ring placement.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2016 at 09:58
Brocksw, Swaro doesn't have a Swarovision spotter, just binoculars.  
Brocksw View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brocksw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2016 at 10:01
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

Atx/stx have "swarovision".
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2016 at 10:26
Originally posted by Brocksw Brocksw wrote:

I stand corrected with regard to the ATX.  Thanks for pointing that out to me.  
Brocksw View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brocksw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2016 at 10:30

Originally posted by Brocksw Brocksw wrote:

I stand corrected with regard to the ATX.  Thanks for pointing that out to me.  

I'm sure somewhere down the line you can return the favor.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic