OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Do you use an H59 reticle?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Litehiker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you use an H59 reticle?
    Posted: August/03/2016 at 23:21
My Bushnell has a Horus H59 reticle and I love it for competition on my 6.5 CM Ruger Precision Rifle.

Often I never touch my turrets and this very nice reticle gets the job done in conjunction with my DOPE sheet and guesstimation of wind.

Who else here uses (and likes) this reticle?

Eric B.
There are no comfortable packs - some are merely less uncomfortable than others.
Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2016 at 11:25
Personally I don't care for the added dots and A-1st bracketing.   I do like and use the H-27 as one that still is actively offered.  At relatively high mag I find it cleaner, faster and better allows for hold-unders.
Horus' marketing seems to take the path to abandon standard mill "trees" without fancy add-ons so honestly I lost interest in the product as a whole.

dsr View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2016 at 13:00
Personally I can not think of a worse reticle. Way, way,way too busy. There is so much etching it must reduce light by 3 to 4 percent. All the etching blocks a splash from a missed shot so the shooter does not know how to correct the shot.

With that said its features are interesting. I do wonder how many missed shorts are due to the shooter miscounting all hatch marks.

Definitely not for me, but if it's works for you - happy shooting.
Litehiker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Litehiker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2016 at 16:43
Well guys, you have to USE an H59 reticle for a while to understand it well. Then it becomes something you don't want to be without. So, as the saying goes, "Don't knock it 'til you've tried it."

I have a new SWFA 5 -15 x 42 scope with a plain mil/diamond reticle and it's OK but I would have preferred a Xmas tree style (but not a lying BDC type).

Eric B.

There are no comfortable packs - some are merely less uncomfortable than others.
dsr View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2016 at 18:49
Horus use to have a computer inteactive demo of for using the reticle. Spent some time playing with it to see how use the reticle for ranging and windage. It's features of use are interesting

I spend enough time behind scopes to know what I like and the H59 is not not for me. Glad you like it, it's negative out weigh it's features for me.

Happy shooting.

Respectfully,

dsr
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2016 at 08:04
I have a Kahles K624i with the AMR reticle and like it allot. It is similar in design to the H59.

If you prefer doling the reticle rathe than the turret, and you put in the time to build confidence in it, these reticles work very well.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Litehiker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Litehiker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2016 at 15:17
AMEN Rancid. It just takes a bit of patience and practice to understand and appreciate the H59 and Tremor 2 reticles.

Once you master the reticle you find you do far less dialing, saving the detents on your turrets so they are still accurate years later.

"Christmas tree" reticles are becoming more widespread. Ex. Bushnell Eliminator III has one, Ziess has a smaller one, etc. 

"BDC" (Ballistic Drop Compensated) reticles are popularized mainly by Nikon but if you aren't at sea level on a nice day shooting the exact bullet weight for that BDC reticle they begin to lie to you. Go to 8,000 ft on a 10 F. day with a different bullet and you will see what I'm talking about. 

Eric
RMC51 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RMC51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2016 at 21:56
Originally posted by Litehiker Litehiker wrote:

My Bushnell has a Horus H59 reticle and I love it for competition on my 6.5 CM Ruger Precision Rifle.

Often I never touch my turrets and this very nice reticle gets the job done in conjunction with my DOPE sheet and guesstimation of wind.

Who else here uses (and likes) this reticle?

Eric B.

Leupold Mark4 ERT 8.5x25x50 H37 w/Kestrel4500 Love
RMC51
Florida Keys
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic