OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Need help picking a scope. Getting frustrated...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need help picking a scope. Getting frustrated...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2016 at 10:30
The contact point between scope and barrel is at the rear of the objective bell where the barrel tapers down from chamber to bore. Choose rings high enough to prevent contact at that point. Heavy barrels with little or no taper require higher mounts than do lightweight sport/hunting rifles with thin barrels. Additional clearance may be required to provide proper eye relief with a given scope. As others have suggested, additional clearance may be required for scope caps at the front of the objective bell.

How does one figure out the correct mount height/location for the combination of: you/the rifle/scope?

With scope unmounted...
1) figure out your correct cheek weld- to- stock... hold the rifle like you mean it
2) holding the scope, determine the point where the view through the scope gives the best eye relief
3) prop the rifle horizontally on a table top where you can get behind it and make close approximation of 1), above (use pillows, towels- whatever)
4) hold the scope over the rifle and determine where it needs to be for proper eye relief at proper hold
5) once the scope/rifle relationship is established, the clearance between scope and barrel can be measured. Its sometimes easier to lay the rifle on it's side at this point and prop the scope up at the point where it would be mounted correctly, then measure. We only have so many hands... get creative.

Very Important Additional Consideration: Make sure that when the scope is correctly positioned, that the rings, when mounted on the rifle, will allow the scope to be mounted in the rings with sufficient clearance between rings and turret housing, objective bell and eyepiece. This isn't much of an issue if a Picatinny rail is used, but otherwise might require the use of "extended" rings to provide proper scope/ring clearance. The extended ring solution is sometimes the only choice available for a given rifle/ring/scope/shooter combination.

Finally, do not over torque any mounting screws. Proper torque ranges are in inch- pounds. If an accurate torque wrench is unavailable, there are guides available online to help "guess" proper torque with finger pressure and hex/spine key.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Makeahole View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makeahole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2016 at 15:40
All good information Alan. Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge. I've learned a lot from this forum and hope to be punching holes at a 1000 yds soon.
Makeahole View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makeahole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2016 at 20:46
Who can tell me what size tap do I need to chase the threads on my 300 win mag before I mount my new scope rail? I've tried all the taps I have but they just don't fit right and I won't force it unless I know I have the right size.
Makeahole View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makeahole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2016 at 19:22
I found out the right size..... It's a 6 - 48 tap, a friends friend knew what I needed......not something Home Depot carries!
CountryGear View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CountryGear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2016 at 18:06
For what it's worth, I like the Sightron SIII http://swfa.com/Sightron-6-24x50-SIII-30mm-Riflescope-P9151.aspx

Like it was mentioned before a christmas tree recital would be best but in the $800 price range it will be hard to find.  You could try to find something used that isn't beaten up.

Edited by koshkin - September/10/2016 at 00:08
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2016 at 00:10
Mr CountryGear,

Please read the forum rules and adhere to them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic