OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold gold ring switch power 7/12 binoculars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bennettbrian1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold gold ring switch power 7/12 binoculars
    Posted: August/26/2016 at 20:36
Thoughts on a Leupold switch power 7/12 binoculars. I can purchase a set from a friend and there brand new. Are they worth the money? Anyone have a set that can give me some insight?
WJC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2016 at 23:25
It might be helpful to specify how much the fellow wants.
“Water, water everywhere nor any drop to drink.” — Samuel Taylor Coleridge
“Social media everywhere but not a thought to think.” — me

Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2016 at 14:54
I have had two of the 7-12x32 binoculars.They are pretty decent at 7x but SUCK at 12x at any distance, except in close.  Resolution and contrast are pretty poor.  They are NOT at the level of Gold Ring standards.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2016 at 20:17
If he is a good friend, tell him to write a nice description, take lots of good pictures, and sell them on ebay, but tell him not to mention that i looked through a pair 11 years ago and i still remember how horrible they were. Klamath right on with his description.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2016 at 12:32
There were occasional samples of that binocular that were sharp at both magnification settings.  Had to get lucky to find a good set.
-Matt
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2016 at 14:20
I've seen one set that was good and two or three that were bad.

Unless you get a chance to look through them and do a careful evaluation, I would pass.

ILya
Bennettbrian1982 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bennettbrian1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2016 at 15:12
Thanks for the replies. I really have been wanting a set of these for forever. The look solid and I have read many reviews from previous posts that there excellent all around binoculars. I have contacted Leupold and they told me if I purchase them and they are not flawless that I can send them in for repair, full price replacement, or reimbursement. I think that's a pretty good deal. The ones im able to buy are brand spanking new in the box. Never been used...
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2016 at 15:43
Originally posted by Klamath Klamath wrote:

I have had two of the 7-12x32 binoculars.They are pretty decent at 7x but SUCK at 12x at any distance, except in close.  Resolution and contrast are pretty poor.  They are NOT at the level of Gold Ring standards.

This sums it up for me.  I wasn't the least bit impressed. 

The only "switch power" or variable power binocular worth owning is a Leica Duovid, and they're obviously not cheap. 
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2016 at 09:24
12X is a lot of magnification for only 32mm objective size. Unfortunately, if you want good optical performance from 12X, you invariably have to accept the tradeoff of at least 42mm objective if not 50mm or larger to gain sufficient exit pupil diameter for good resolution and low light performance, and minimize eye fatigue to truly benefit from 12X. Everything in optics involves accepting a series of design tradeoffs. If you're looking for compact binoculars and are interested in good image quality, you should avoid high magnification. 10X is really the practical upper magnification limit for 32mm objectives, with 8X being better...if image quality is important to you. Plus, switch power binoculars typically have narrower FOV and compromised optics vs fixed power binoculars of the same magnification. In the Leupold 7/12X32, you have 3 strikes against it, if you're very picky about optics: switch power, high magnification, and relatively small objective lenses. To me, these are unacceptable tradeoffs for my primary viewing tool. Unlike some other types of optics where I may be willing to accept optical compromises, I'm not willing to settle for anything less than exceptional optical performance out of my binoculars, since I spend so much time glassing with them during a typical hunting season. The Leupold 7/12X32 simply doesn't make the grade for me.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic