OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Archery
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Learners question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erinis0112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Learners question
    Posted: September/13/2016 at 14:33
Hello everyone, thanks for taking the time to read my thread, well i have always been a fan of bows and arrows but have never have the courage to try it, i am good with guns and rifle.... ut nothing with arrows and bow and now i will like to try something new. i will like to know the first thing about bow, shooting target and stuff. is it anything like shooting a firearm? and do ow and arrow people have something like a range where someone can learn how to shoot.?
There's a God somewhere.
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2016 at 16:19
Where are you located? Because I am also in Texas. If you are in north Texas, you are welcome to meet up with me at the shop I frequent and then you could look into all the various manufactures, hold them and see what feels the most comfortable in your hand.
That is a big deal with a bow, what feel comfortable in your hand.

Once you find a model that you are comfortable with, they will take the necessary measurements of you to retro fit it to your draw length and pull weight.
Then they will outfit it with the accessories needed to begin to shoot. Like Arrow rest, String dampeners, string stops, ect...
Some of these places will have a range where you are able to practice if you do not have the space in your back yard. 

Then all you have to do, like anything else, is practice practice practice.
I wouldn't suggest shooting groups. However if you have a target that has multiple ten rings, shot the ten ring one arrow at a time.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2016 at 19:58
Some makes of bows are adjustable for length of draw.

Honestly there are $235 worth of accessories on this bow.

Matthews an Hoyt bows new can be very expensive something like this used Hoyt might be a good place to start. You will need a bow shop to set it up for you and cut the right arrows. You need a target.

You will need a bow release.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - September/13/2016 at 20:06

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
erinis0112 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erinis0112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2016 at 23:32
the bow look really great and good price too. firing a bow is more complicated than i thought,
There's a God somewhere.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2016 at 08:23
Originally posted by erinis0112 erinis0112 wrote:

firing a bow is more complicated than i thought,

No it is not, After it is set up all you do is pull back, aim, fire. the key is do the exact thing every time. muscle memory take over the rest.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2016 at 08:35
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

firing a bow is more complicated than i thought,

No it is not, After it is set up all you do is pull back, aim, fire. the key is do the exact thing every time. muscle memory take over the rest.

Agreed Excellent.
It is not difficult at all. However like he said, the key is doing everything exactly the same every time. The slightest adjustment will move the point of impact on your target.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2016 at 08:40

the bow look really great and good price too. firing a bow is more complicated than i thought,

I noticed you just moved from Texas to Iowa.  Archery Deer season up there is pretty generous.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2016 at 09:03
ALSO NEVER! NEVER! dry fire a bow if you get on..... you being new and all just wanted to toss that out there.  Heard many stories of folks going to a shop to see what bow shooting is all about and they draw back and release not knowing the damage that can cause.   Youtube is a great resource to learn. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erinis0112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2016 at 09:09
yeah, move down to iowa because of my new job. i just found out. apparently there are hunting laws over here. Excellent
There's a God somewhere.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erinis0112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2016 at 20:49
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

ALSO NEVER! NEVER! dry fire a bow if you get on..... you being new and all just wanted to toss that out there.  Heard many stories of folks going to a shop to see what bow shooting is all about and they draw back and release not knowing the damage that can cause.   Youtube is a great resource to learn. 

thanks for the heads up
There's a God somewhere.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2016 at 11:05

yeah, move down to iowa because of my new job. i just found out. apparently there are hunting laws over here. Excellent

Our friend erinis0112 is quite the world traveler. Not only did he/she (more on that later) recently "move" from Texas to Iowa, but was recently talking about hunting black bear in his/her "home state" of Pennsylvania...all while posting with an IP address originating from southern Nigeria. I've never heard of an Iowan using a Nigerian-based internet provider. This "new job" in Iowa must be Nigerian-owned. 

He/she claims his/her name is "Clyde V" in his/her profile, while claiming his/her gender as "female." Is "Clyde" gender-confused, or is that short for Clydette?

Based on "Clyde's" syntax in various posts, I have a sneaking suspicion that English isn't "Clyde's" first language and "she's" yanking your respective chains, with the eventual aim of spamming the forum. Maybe "Clyde" is that Nigerian prince who will send you suitcases of cash soon in exchange for you sending him some $ now. Or, maybe our friend "Clyde" is just bored and had nothing better to do than pretend to be a transgender transplanted Texsylvanian Iowan from Lagos.

Prove me wrong, "Clyde;" I dare you.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2016 at 11:11

There are hunting seasons and in with that, there are laws that go along with it. Any where you hunt, there is safety to always keep in mind.  You must always be compliant with the local laws of anything no matter where you visit.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2016 at 11:35
I'd ban that profile simple because of that Ted... quit being so nice
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2016 at 14:08
Oh, that's certainly the probable outcome, G. We've been watching this user for a few weeks. The only reasons the account hasn't already been zapped are:
- We've been open to the possibility there's a legitimate, logical explanation for the location, user profile, and IP discrepancies, and are willing to give people the benefit of the doubt.
- No real harm has been done other than "Clyde" possibly wasting people's time by representing him/herself fraudulently, and he/she hasn't posted any spam thus far.
- Banning a user only takes a couple mouse clicks, so there's no huge urgency given the low post frequency.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2016 at 08:02
ok.... if you say so..... softyWink
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2016 at 08:59
We just hired a Nigerian engineer who is been around......a lot.
Doug
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2016 at 09:11
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

ok.... if you say so..... softyWink

I do love puppies, so...
Big Grin
Ted

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic