OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Tikka .223 Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cassml12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tikka .223 Scope
    Posted: September/15/2016 at 23:08
What scope would you recommend for Tikka .223 for targets and varmints out to about 600 yards? Budget around $700
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2016 at 10:25
The SWFA 3-15x would be a good option to consider.  They have it in both FFP and SFP. 

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-15x42-Tactical-Rifle-Scope-P62238.aspx
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2016 at 11:07
Have to agree with Supertool's recommendation.  I had one of the FFP scopes on my Savage 10 223 with a 20" barrel and excellent out to 600.

Have a 220 Swift that is looking for a new scope and I'm deciding between the FFP with the mil-Quad reticle or their SFP version with the mil-quad DM.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2016 at 11:30
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2016 at 11:54
The Zeiss is definitely great glass, but it's biggest issue is it's limited elevation adjustment, so a 10-20 MOA base may be a good idea.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2016 at 14:23
I've not been behind the Conquest but generally 20X scopes are a pain to get behind.  I too would go with the 3-15SS, it is a great scope for the money.

Tikka, by the way, great choice.  I own several.  When I build custom now, it is usually on a Tikka action, they are butter smooth and have features usually found on $1000+ actions.  And Tikka barrels have always been very, very good to me!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2016 at 17:59
It depends on the type of varmits. Coyotes possibly something like this 

DOA 600Bushnell 2.5-16x42 Elite 6500 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - 652164B
  • Matte
  • DOA 600 CF
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus - 10 yards to infinity
  • RainGuard® HD
  • Ultra Wide Band Coating
  • Fully multi-coated optics
  • Magnum recoil-proof construction
  • 100% waterproof/fogproof/shockproof construction
  • Argon purged
  • 1/4 MOA or finer fingertip, audible/resettable windage and elevation adjustment
  • 3" Sunshade
  • Bulletproof Guarantee
$799.00

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2016 at 07:39

Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

The Zeiss is definitely great glass, but it's biggest issue is it's limited elevation adjustment, so a 10-20 MOA base may be a good idea.

Granted but with the rapid z1000 it would work for hold over.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2016 at 12:13
I guess my thought on the Zeiss is great for prairie dogs not so much for coyotes because there are times you need to be under 6.5 power as it gets dark and you call them in closer.   For coyotes I really like the trijicon scopes with the red post zeroed at 200 yds they can move pretty quick and .223 is fairly flat out to 200.  We probably need more info on what varmit he is after because if hes shooting raccoons across a cornfield at 600 yds the Zeiss would be a better choice. I do think the 2.6 to 16x Bushnell is one that bears some consideration. I have a Bushnell 4200  4-16 x40 that has very nice glass but there again it depends on what you need more the low end or the high magnification.  Its pretty hard to hand hold anything over 10x so if one is shooting from a solid rest or a bipod and has the time one can use a lot more magnification. For quick snap shots this Trijicon is very nice.

Trijicon 1-4x24 AccuPoint 30mm Rifle Scope Red Triangle Trijicon 1-4x24 AccuPoint 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR24R
  • Matte
  • Red Triangle
  • 30mm
$935.00

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
useitorloseit View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote useitorloseit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2016 at 23:14
New to posting but not to reading. Just bought a Tikka .223 and went with a 3-9x40 Vortex Viper mainly because of the BDC. My set up is for yotes and I wanted a BDC for fast shots as opposed to dialing a turret. Just my opinion based on reading forums like this.

mike p
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2016 at 10:17
You can use any reticle with moa or mil stadia lines as a bdc. If u get one with open knobs then u get the best of both worlds. And if u get a ffp you can use those hold over marks on any magnification. With your Viper they are only accurate at the one mag you sight them in and get data for.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic