OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Lab Radar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2016 at 07:34
Something else to think about is side lobes, probably not a big deal but things close to the unit head may also cause issues. Just a thought!
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2016 at 07:38

Clutter/multipath can be managed... much easier than other impediments to "standard" chronographs.  Based upon what I have seen and heard of the Lab Radar, it is the hottest thing around for load development.  Upgrades should mostly be software driven, the hardware technology is well understood, so risk is low.  Its limitations, for the intended use, are all relatively easily managed. 

I intend to get one when I am finally FORCED to start loading again. 

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2016 at 08:54
I have looked at the system, but I just couldn't justify the cost. I went with the Magnetospeed sporter and for my purposes it works well.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2016 at 09:38
ewwww, You know you have to redo your loads when you start shooting the cans ( well your suppose too).... guess what, the Magnetospeed wont work with cans...
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2016 at 10:13

Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

ewwww, You know you have to redo your loads when you start shooting the cans ( well your suppose too).... guess what, the Magnetospeed wont work with cans...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2016 at 10:43

Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

Why not?  Says they do on their site.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2016 at 11:14

Dude I'm just going by my findings.

I used the V something or another I want to say 3 this weekend and they were way off. The lab radar was dead on with the known FPS.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2016 at 11:20

The V3 is the one that claims to support suppressor use... the Sporter (less expensive) does not.  Set up is critical on the Magnetospeed.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2016 at 11:28

gotcha.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2016 at 12:12
 Heck everyone buy them, suppressor or not  There the best thing on the market..

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2016 at 12:23

There are a number of problems with the magnetospeed... I researched them a while back.  Even if they do work with a suppressor (didn't work for Brandon and I've seen other reports of them not working or not working reliably), mounting to the barrel will change your POI. 

Get the radar...

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2016 at 14:32
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

The V3 is the one that claims to support suppressor use... the Sporter (less expensive) does not.  Set up is critical on the Magnetospeed.

Set up is indeed critical, sensitive setting is very important. Once I figured out the settings it was dead nuts to my buddy's crono and its just easier! I can't shoot groups with it that's true but I'm just using it for MV for my shooter app. If I was doing ballistics research or design I could justify the Radar's price tag. Plus I think I may have got enough RF radiation as a TAS tech. 2 years after leaving the service I got to see a notification of a dangerous side lobe off the TWT. Yup, you guest it, my desk in the TAS shack was dead center of the side lobe! I always wondered I am the only crome dome in the family! LOL!
nralifer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nralifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2016 at 07:52
The problem I had with the Magnetospeed is the bayonet loosened after virtually every shot. It was useful when the lighting conditions were such that Oehler would not work reliably though. The radar gives one much more data, and if used with an SD card you can make judgments as to the quality of the data.  Once one figures out what sort of things create artifacts in the data, it is very useful in comparing bullet BCs and for bullet development.  It can work off of a rechargeable battery pack as well using the USB cable provided with it.
It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed. TR
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2016 at 19:37

Apologies to all I have been absent due to work and the such.

WHEN did these hit the market?

Any issues with them?

Is there anything else on the market like these for the price?

Do not mean to hi-jack.

I did not read the review on the other place.

Sum it up for me fellas.

I get about 10min a day for personal things such as this cannot even be caught reading anything but my children's' schoolwork or my work or the bills.

nralifer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nralifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2016 at 05:25
We have had more experiences with the radar and would like to share them. We have been using two of them, one 300 yds downrange behind a gong, to get downrange velocities, as well as muzzle velocities. The downrange radar is triggered by the supersonic crack of the bullet and needs to pass by it by a few inches. Also we used a target cam to see the downrange radar display. The down range radar tracked the bullets another 75-110 yds.  This setup gave us excellent data, and allowed us to compare our bullets with those of other manufacturers. The beauty of this set up is that you can get a BC within the first 100 yds and a down range BC.  One thing that would be great would be the availability of a graphics program that could take the SD card data and plot the velocity data as a function of distance from the radar and generate a velocity decay curve for each shot.  The SD card data can be displayed on Exel  either in Apple or Windows systems.

To 338's question, I do not know of any similar systems on the market.  The only issues with the radar is that you have to have an uncluttered downrange to get clean data, and I wish there was more info on the beam height and width, and a better aiming system for the radar. These things could improve the capture rate and track the bullets further.  We were able to track bullets as small as 17 caliber, however.
It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed. TR
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2016 at 21:34
For what you are using it for I understand perfectly the need for the systems. I wonder if minitab 17 would work for what you want to do? As for the average jack leg reloader like myself it might be seen as overkill and I'm OCD as hell!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2016 at 05:07

Steel, you keep sounding like you are trying, desperately, to talk yourself out of the radar.  Dude, you KNOW you need it... it will take you to that "next level".  Radar is "where it's at" in exterior ballistics. 

Go for it... let the "rush" take you... be the best you can be...

Lab Radar... get one...

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2016 at 09:24
Dan, when we retire lets go into piracy prevention, used car sales are to flooded with people already! 😉
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2016 at 12:20

There is nothing to see here... get the radar...

You are one with the radar...

get the radar...

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2016 at 05:04
Well, there goes my Christmas bonus! 😂😂😂
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic